Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-30-2014, 7:46 PM Reply   
Hey guys. Looking to get a new board and was thinking the phase 5 carbon. Im torn between the 54 or 51. I am 5'5 about 165ish lbs. Im like right on the border size wise according to the chart. I do want a board easier to do tricks on. So should I go with the 51?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-30-2014, 8:37 PM Reply   
It really depends on your wake. I'm 160 and prefer the 51. On some smaller and/or softer wakes the 51 may take more work, but the 51 is so agile. The 54" is a safe bet, but for your height the board is very long in my opinion.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-31-2014, 9:19 AM Reply   
What Mitch said. At 5'5" the 54" is going to seem long. However, you are at the weight range, where the longer board would seem better. Weight ranges are not an exact science, they are simply a general guideline, and in most cases are not really based on anything empirical.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-31-2014, 5:08 PM Reply   
Exactly, weight ranges and board sizes aren't an exact science, they are just a guideline. Personally all the boards recommended for my weight range seem way too big and bulky for me and I prefer much smaller boards. For my weight range a 5'9 and above is typically recommended. However I ride best and prefer boards that are sub 5'0, my favorite to date being a 4'0 and I just picked up a 3'9" over the winter I have yet to try. It's a pretty drastic difference from what is recommended, but it is what feels best for me to ride.

My advice, ride as many different boards and sizes as you can and go with what feels best to you.
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-01-2014, 7:48 AM Reply   
Just as Surf Addict said, ride as many boards as you can. I am the opposite of him because I like a bigger board mainly because I like a wide stance. Find something that feels comfortable.
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       04-01-2014, 12:20 PM Reply   
and i am 400lbs and i ride a 5'3 custom surfboard from day1wake. and it surfs better then my 5'5 from a different company.
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-08-2014, 6:27 AM Reply   
Awesome guys thanks. I'm gonna go with te 51. If anyone has a used danielo diamond hit me up. I'm not a fan of the new color ways. I want all black or red. And I can't find those anywhere in a 51. Thanks
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-08-2014, 8:57 PM Reply   
Danny, you are local to California Marine Sports. They have last years in stock and on closeout. The shop is in Fairfield. Or they could always ship it for free.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-09-2014, 12:58 PM Reply   
Mitch you're supposed to say "we"