Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (drive139)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-26-2008, 5:59 AM Reply   
Does anyone know anything about this?
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
? dont but would love some info
Old     (redlinewatersports)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-26-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
What kind of info are you looking for?
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-26-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
its an accurate brand pair of scissors, one snip and its shorter!
Old     (drive139)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-26-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
i'm just wanting to know what it is all about and how it works
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       09-26-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
I call it a knot!
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       09-26-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
Its a Murray invention- kind of interesting. Your local HO/Hyperlite/Accurate dealer should have some info on it.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-26-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
Saw it at Expo. It is a small hard piece of plastic the rope wraps through to create half sections. Pretty simple piece of equipment.

Yous shouldnt need it....everyone that wakeboards should learn to tie a simple half section!

(Message edited by wvboard on September 26, 2008)
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-28-2008, 12:58 AM Reply   
Simple but brilliant product. knots increase the odds of snapping, and makes you rope look bad. this new product keeps you rope new and no need for multiple ropes anymore. Best rope product for 2009 by far!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-28-2008, 1:29 AM Reply   
i bought my rope w/ a crapload of knots in it. i guess i'm lucky...it hasn't snapped yet.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-28-2008, 6:10 AM Reply   
Yea ,Knots at every segment!

(Message edited by otown_dave on September 28, 2008)
Old     (wakebadass)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-28-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
Last time i checked you do not actually tie a knot in your rope to tie a half section? But I guess if I worked for Hyperlite I would be praising their products too.
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-28-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
That's funny. Yeah, I guess I am partial, but you will see how many boats are equipped with it next year, and how easy it will be to customize your spot on the wake. When you buy one for your boat I don't care if you email and tell me I was right, but I do hope it brings a smile to your face the first time you adjust your rope length by inches to where the wake breaks just right.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-28-2008, 4:56 PM Reply   
Just thinking about it, this could make take-off sections obsolete. Just have one solid 80 foot mainline with markings every 5 or so feet.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-29-2008, 5:14 AM Reply   
so where do we get one of the rope shorteners??
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-29-2008, 9:47 PM Reply   
Rope shortening device has been put on order and they will come out pretty soon. I will post a picture of it when I get it. I have seen the prototype in action, but it prob wont be in your local shop for a little bit.
Old     (blaketheho)      Join Date: May 2007       09-30-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
Can't wait to see it! Sounds sweet. Hyperlite has some smart people.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-30-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
I'm with Mike, every wakeboarder should know how to shorten their rope without leaving a knot. Adjusting your rope by inches to find the perfect spot is probably the funniest thing I've ever heard. "hey guys, what am I doing wrong?", "dude, bro, you are extending your arms and missing the peak of the wake by at least 5 inches!!" Nice.

Now I'm up for cool doodads that work, and it would be cool to have a section-less rope that was marked for lengths. Can you imagine if the poor fools that need inch increment adjustments rode a different boat with a different lip, their head might explode. Shred on.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
Some of the pros don't even have ropes most of the time.
Old     (jcush313)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-30-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
how are they supposed to wakeboard then?
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-30-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
As I said before tying (looping, not a knot) a half section is simple. A child can figure out how to do it in a few minutes. I have never tied off anything shorter than a half section. If you need adjustments in increments less than that...get a life loser, you spend too much time sweating the small stuff!
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-30-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
HA -this is getting ridiculous.
I've ridden with a couple pros that don't bring out their own ropes, I know what you mean A-Dub.
The rope shortener would be nice because I like to ride 82.5, right now I just fold over the very end section and loop it through like normal...works just fine.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-30-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
Maybe more people should join the boyscouts!
Upload
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-30-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
that isn't the knot you want because it can slip....the best knotless knot you can ever use to shorten the rope is the one my crew upon many other crews i know have used. We use this knot for shortening a rope to wakesurf with. It never slips! Try it out and don't buy gimmicks. Attached is a picture showing how to tie the knot:

Upload

Here is the verbal explanation of the picture above.

make a loop in your rope about where you want it. The loop should be about 6-8 inches. Wrap it around the pole and then under the rope and then flip the end of the loop over onto the pole and pull tight. done.

(Message edited by iamnathanhudson on September 30, 2008)
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-30-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
I got to see it when our shop went to lake tahoe to see the 09 gear. It is definitely a sweet invention. You will be able to ride at any length.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
Why not get a rope winder then? I see those all over the lakes..........
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-30-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
Calling the rope shortener a gimmick is a low blow. They're trying to innovate a little and make things that can make our life a little easier. if it was like 40$ then it'd be a little ridiculous but I can't imagine it being that much!

So many critics on wakeworld lol, where is the love? HSE sound control isn't neccesary, you could just reach over and turn the volume down, but it's a great innovation for boats and our sport, are people going to rag on that to?
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-01-2008, 4:34 AM Reply   
it is a gimmick when you don't need it to accomplish the end result. It takes me less than five seconds to wrap the rope at the length i want it using the method i explained above.

Will the Accurate Rope Shortener serve some people well? Sure, I am not saying its a ripoff or anything like that. It does what it says it does and probably does it well. However, it is simply not needed to shorten a rope. Therefore it is a gimmicky way to shorten the rope.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-01-2008, 6:06 AM Reply   
I'm with Josh. If we argue against innovation, everything that makes our lives easier is unnecessary. Why have a doorbell, you can just knock on the door. Why have a remote, you are only 10 feet from the TV. I'm not going to rush out to buy one, but I love the fact that someone is thinking about innovations in areas besides boards/bindings.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-01-2008, 6:58 AM Reply   
Innovation is cool, but a rope shortening device is ridiculous. Do what Nate-O shows above. I probably show a half dozen wakeboarders that shortening method each year. It's silly easy and leaves no knots. A rope without shortening loops and just length markers would be sweet.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-01-2008, 7:02 AM Reply   
I'll be curious to try Nate's knot above. I've never seen that but it would be nice to ride between sections.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-01-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
that loop will still mess up the jacket on urethane coated lines though
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-01-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
...and that was my next question, will this new device work on urethane coated lines??
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-01-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
It is not "ridiculous." Sure you can make a slipknot to shorten the rope up easy, no problem, and I probably won't get an accurate rope shortener, but why do you guys have beef with accurate making these things? I just don't understand why Wakeworlders have to fight everything lol.
Old     (blaketheho)      Join Date: May 2007       10-01-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
OK, I understand that I am a bit out of line here (sorry Chris), but no one has brought up the real reason that this is a good product:

All ropes have a natural minimum bend radius. If you bend a rope tighter than this radius and load it, you decrease the life of the rope. This bend radius is pretty small for softer spectra or nylon lines, but is big for all "tangle proof" lines. Just wrapping a jacketed line around the pylon and hanging from it will decrease its life, not to mention what a knot will do.

Now, don't get me wrong: the rope is not going to break the next time you use it, but a rope that has been repeatedly loaded while bent will have about half of the life of one that is always straight. The industry has always lived with this problem and just expects people to buy new ropes when they wear out (and we do).

So how can you ride with a rope that doesn't have any loops or knots in it and will have the longest possible life? That's the problem that is solved with this product. In my opinion the infinite adjustment is nice, but not the primary purpose. Take it or leave it, but I just wanted to address the "Just tie a knot!" people.

BTW, I don't work there anymore, so I don't have a vested interest in whether or not you buy this thing.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-01-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
I think this product sounds great. I would assume it cost $5 or less if it is just a small piece of plastic. Obviously if it costs $50 then people are going to be less inclined to buy one.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-01-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
i do not have beef with accurate. I think that its great that they are thinking about every little aspect of what riders need. Like i said i am sure this shortener will serve people well. My personal preference would be to use that simple knotless knot instead of paying for a piece of plastic or 'gimmick' that accomplishes the same job. I usually ride around 80' so no need to shorten to a weird length. The only time i shorten a rope is if there is not a surf rope on board i shorten the rope to make a surf rope.

-Nate
Old     (trevo55)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-01-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
its 150 and comes with its own rope.....and thats the only line you can use with it cause jacket and coated lines wont work, so its just a reg. spectra line
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-01-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
...And my interest in the new-fangled rope shortener just fell through the floor.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-01-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
Haha...agreed.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-03-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
any press is good press...right?
most of the pro's have been riding 82.5 feet these days and we just fold the last five foot section in half. It got me thinking that we needed different take off sections, then i thought it would be too many take off knots. So I thought of something that would allow you to have one continuous mainline and a device that you could pull the rope through and have it lock down at whatever length you want. Have the rope marked with something to note every foot.
I passed on the idea to Hyperlite/Accurate and we moved forward with it. We tested it at my camp and we liked it. We change the rope length quite a bit and it was easy to do so, even all the way to surf.
Just trying to think outside the box. My B.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-03-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
I think its a good idea. If what trevor said is correct it seems a little pricy, but definately a great concept, maybe future models will get cheaper with new designs/ technology. good work
Old     (trevo55)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-03-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
if they would throw in a decent handle might not seem as bad of a price, but then again i sell ropes all day long that are 120 for just the rope so another 30 for the shortener.....guess it all just depends on how you look at it
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-03-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
If those prices are right it is cheaper, and without seeing it I have no idea what it looks like, but it doesn't seem like a new concept.

http://www.skireel.com/aboutthenewwakepro.html

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/409602.html?1172734533
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-03-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
This does seem like a great product Shaun. Will we be able to use it on our own mainlines or will we have to buy the rope that comes with it? How much will it be if it is sold by itself?
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-03-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
And now that Shaun posted up let the backpedaling of naysayers begin.

How was bull shoals Shaun? Saw the video last week, I'm ticked that I missed y'all by like a week!
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-11-2008, 9:16 PM Reply   
Anyone have any pics of this new device. I am very interested in it. Sounds like the perfect piece for all the different skill riders that ride with my crew. I heard it was at EXPO...so there has to be a pic floating around. Or Shaun..could you post one up? THX