Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    bullet_tower            10-29-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
I like to install them on the bottom.... It cleans up th top of the tower and it allows us an opportunity for branding!

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-29-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
The bottom is a problem when you have a bimini that folds up against the back of the tower. Otherwise it seems like a good idea, definately easier to hook the rope up.
Old     (kylet)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-29-2005, 6:46 PM Reply   
didnt one company mount it on the bottom of the tower to eliminate the probobility of someone power turning under the rider?
(i have seen it done, rider cuts out real hard and the boat spins around and the rider crosses infront of the boat. people were insane or something)
Old    erlingiii            10-29-2005, 7:05 PM Reply   
I saw it in person at sea world in one of the acts. If i remember right it was a natique ski boat with no tower and the drive and spotter both had to duck
Old    bullet_tower            10-31-2005, 6:00 AM Reply   
That is a common act in a ski show and really not that dangerous!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-31-2005, 9:06 AM Reply   
not being able to do around-the-boats is the only disadvantage i see with bottom-mounted.

they're not hard to do, and don't really seem dangerous as long as you have a pretty long rope (70'+) and good rider & driver.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-31-2005, 9:07 AM Reply   
...and i really like the revolver magazine look. what's with the side bars down by the rubrail?
Old    bullet_tower            10-31-2005, 11:09 AM Reply   
Trace,
Its a knerf bar its used for getting around the tower while on the lake weather your grabbing your board. Also they keep the boat off the dock and they look cool!
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-31-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
If it's mounted under the tower you can't coil up your rope and hang it out of the way.
Old     (kylet)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-31-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
dont most ropes come with that goofy holder thing though?
and i saw the boat turning under the rider out at the lake one day. it was an older moomba (boomerang?) with a tower. not a ski show.
i think that is a good idea having the step. just function over form i guess.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-01-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
The around the boat thing is sometimes called the "big 8", I used to do it at Marine World and at Club Med. In reality it's probably no more dangerous than crossing the street at lunchtime in downtown San Francisco.

We used to do it with two skiers, one would just take the whip and the other would cross in front of the boat. When it's done correctly both lines stay tight, the boat is almost stopped when you cross it's bow. When it's done incorrectly the boat usually ends up running over the rope. It doesn't take much boat speed but it does take a little timing and skill. I would not recommend it on public waterways.

What's the deal with the art-deco board rack? Can we get a closer picture, can't really decide if it's a plus or a minus from the picture above?

I like the revolver but I would prefer it just to be there just for looks with a lighted tow point up top.

I like the nerf bar idea as a walkway but I don't think i would want the additional attachment points on the boat. Could it be incorporated into the tower's mounting feet so you only have the four attachemnt points?
Old    bullet_tower            11-02-2005, 6:48 AM Reply   
Mike,

We used to do it on an AM ski team up north with 5 guys on staggerd lines and I hated doing that act, about half way around the boat everyone starts to cross under every one eles's rope and if anyone bails you have a high speed pile-up. Its a total yard sale.

I will post a pick of the rack when I get a chance.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-02-2005, 2:36 PM Reply   
Yikes 5 guys?

That's worse than the slalom of 3, that we used to do. I'll pass. It's hard enough to keep two lines tight much less 5. I found it was about 80% driver and 20% skier skill.

Mike
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-03-2005, 6:56 AM Reply   
Travis Moye had the towpoint on his X-star moved to under the tower to clear the bridges over the canals. It was very user friendly.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-03-2005, 7:52 AM Reply   
there are 2 negatives that i could think of.

one was already mentioned.....wrapping up the rope and handle and hanging it from the towpoint while not in use. yes, i could get around that with the velcro strap that comes with the ropes, but i guess i am just used to it the other way.

the other is that i wouldnt be able to fit my NVS speakers if the towpoint were underneath. maybe this tower is wider than my current tower and i would have room, but right now, i have about an inch to spare up there.
Old    ssgoody2000            11-03-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
Doesn't make sence to have it on the bottom when being pulled and gettin air is based on angle. So put it 6" higher on the top.
Old    bullet_tower            11-03-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
Eric,

I Did that to his tower for him. Its good to see its working out for him.
Old    bullet_tower            11-03-2005, 1:33 PM Reply   
Eric,

I Did that to his tower for him. Its good to see its working out for him. Thanks for your posts people, its good to get feed back pos and neg Thanks Again