Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-21-2014, 12:57 PM Reply   
Finally giving up on Utah, can't take the long winters, so I'm selling my house and moving to Sacramento. I'm looking into purchasing a 10-15 acre parcel with the intention of digging a pond big enough to put a System 2.0 on. My question is if anyone has experience with this sort of thing, permits, wells etc. Any help, experiences or stories for sharing are appreciated. Thanks.
Old     (grkero)      Join Date: Dec 2010       03-21-2014, 1:12 PM Reply   
I know a lot of people have some sort of agriculture on their land with lakes to justify the water pumping. Don't know anything about it, but here's a local Northern California company that would have all the answers: http://www.ski-lake.com/construct.html
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-21-2014, 1:23 PM Reply   
I don't have any experience with permitting stuff but it seems like a common excuse to say the lake is used to raise fish in and just have some fish in there.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-21-2014, 7:25 PM Reply   
Is it going to be for business or pleasure? If pleasure, why not just get a pass for the two cable parks near sacramento? You will probably have to call it some sort of ag operation to save money/justify water use. Permitting will probably be a nightmare.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-22-2014, 1:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanw209 View Post
I don't have any experience with permitting stuff but it seems like a common excuse to say the lake is used to raise fish in and just have some fish in there.
Yep. That's the only way you'll ever do it in Sac. County and even then, you better know somebody or have some special something. If you're moving to Sac., why bother with a lake when there's so much waterway here? Oh wait. It sucks here. Nowhere to go. Better build a lake. ;-)

On a serious note, there was a guy in Clarksberg, CA 10-12 or so years ago who dug a lake right near the river who had ag water rights and was forced to fill it back up with dirt once complete because the neighbors claimed he would be making too much noise while skiing on his new lake. Never mind the huge diesel ag pumps that run 24/7 all around him. Around here, even when you think you're good, you're not.

In short, you'll need a lot of time, deep pockets and know someone. Good luck man.

Last edited by markj; 03-22-2014 at 1:03 AM.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-23-2014, 10:45 AM Reply   
Was just out there last weekend and I'm really in love with the area north of Lincoln. It was so lush and green. On Sunday we drove out to Camp Far West, 80*, beautiful, everybody out ridding with no wet suits. It was heaven. Returned home to Utah on Sunday, woke up in the morning with fresh snow on the ground. Anyway, can't wait to get out there.

I know there are tons of lakes, rivers etc out there and can't wait to try them out. (I currently have an 02 X-Star), The reason I want a pond is I was inspired after visiting my neighbors ranch here in Utah, he dug is own pond on a ranch and has built an amazing setup. I love the time you get behind the cable with out waiting for the boat, spending money on gas, wasting blown out windy or crowded days on public waterways. I also love the setting of hanging out on the shore cheering on the rider, you can barbeque etc while the guy is riding. Just imagining building a nice little dock/ pavilion next to the water and hanging out around the pond. As I'm getting older (oldest daughter is 14) I want a place where friends and family will want to come and hang out, have some good times and build memories. I'm not looking to make money off of it --- other than the increase in real estate value.

One of the reasons I love that area is that when you look at the satellite view there are already TONS of existing ponds that I would look into expanding rather than just building new.

As for permits, it can be a scary world, I've read different opinions on permits required for ponds, some say that if you're not building a dam, or it doesn't interfere with an existing waterway no permit is required, also if you are pumping the water from a well there is no need to purchase water rights from NID (Nevada Irrigation District). Obviously the worst case scenario would be to purchase the real estate for that intention, build something and then end up with fines from the EPA etc.

Anyway, thats my vision. With a little luck, some hard work and creativity it may become a reality.

Also, can't wait to try out the parks, it just gets expensive when you need to purchase 6 passes/yr (season pass for each member of the family).
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-23-2014, 11:04 AM Reply   
http://www.westernbass.com/dotcom/li...w.html?id=1436
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-24-2014, 10:11 AM Reply   
Good luck getting water rights if the property does not have them. Especially this year.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-24-2014, 12:55 PM Reply   
You could just not move to California and move to literally any other area in the country that has less restrictive laws. Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Louisiana. All of those might give you the warmer weather you want and I can guarantee you will be less restrictive in laws and regulations getting what you want accomplished than California.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-01-2014, 1:13 PM Reply   
I would suggest avoiding placer county, and shoot for sutter or yolo. Dig it yourself , keep it hidden with trees and pull no permits. Lake in Clarksburg is for sale and has water, 2.9mil and its all yours, comes with me as your new best friend!

http://tours.topnotch360.net/76310.

A pond to run 2.0 can be small enough that it shouldn't be an issue.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2014, 2:55 PM Reply   
FWIW - In Wisconsin its a huge pain in the ass to get around the DNR unless you're growing cranberries on that new waterway... then it seems like you can do almost anything.

Not sure if CA has a similar "loophole"
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-02-2014, 1:45 PM Reply   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQoZHJTOCTk

Rod, I like how you think. Looking for a bit less than $2.9 Mil though. Like you guys said, doesn't have to be a huge pond, a scoop here, a scoop there to make it bigger and who's gonna notice
Old     (smitty75)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-03-2014, 10:23 AM Reply   
Man, I had never seen a 2.0 before. It's pretty sweet. Seems like a hell of a business opportunity. Wake park during the summer, snowboard park during the winter. I happen to have a nice 15 acre lot with a 4 acre pond already on it. Hmm. Anyone want to start a business??
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-03-2014, 2:29 PM Reply   
Jacob, if you're in Sacramento then I'm in. They're pretty affordable at about $30-40 k and use about $5 a day in power. Go for it.

A couple photos of my inspiration.
Attached Images

Old     (smitty75)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-03-2014, 4:21 PM Reply   
Wish it was, but the property is in upstate NY. Looks pretty cool though. Really has me thinking