Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-25-2011, 1:02 PM Reply   
Well, welcome to my new desk top.
My old Dell 460 was getting a little slow after 9 years and I was getting warning signs of an eventual melt down.
My issue is this: I really don't want to pay Mr. Gates another 300 clams to run word, excel and outlook.
I use excel daily but on a very basic spreadsheet template. In the field I use a netbook and have loaded Open Office and it works OK but has some serious glitches when I try to edit with it.

I have heard of Google documents but don't know anything about it. Also I am not always able to get get internet in the field or when traveling abroad.
I love Outlook and have used it for eons.
1) Is there a good alternative to outlook that gives a calender and drag / drop folder options?
2) Excel compatible option? is the pay version of O office better?
3) Word?
4) or do I just pony up the dough and buy office 2010?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-25-2011, 1:50 PM Reply   
Do you work somewhere that has a fair amount of Windows+Office machines? If so they may have a volume licensing agreement that gets employees cheap copies of Office. Under our EA at work we get a home use license for employees for $10. Worth asking your IT folks. Aside form that, Open Office is the best alternative to MS Office I've found.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-25-2011, 2:10 PM Reply   
Self employed Cory. i am the IT department. unfortunately. The student version doesn't have Outlook. I am looking at Thunderbird. anyone use it?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-25-2011, 5:58 PM Reply   
I use http://www.libreoffice.org/ on my ubunutu netbook. Seems sweet
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-25-2011, 6:05 PM Reply   
The loss in productivityy is not worth the savings. There's nothing quite like Outlook, even with its warts.

Got access to a .edu email addy? http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/...e/default.aspx
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-25-2011, 7:26 PM Reply   
Open office is the best free thing I've seen...

My fiance's computer needed a overhaul and got windows 7 from a buddy - and then downloaded windows office 07 (I think 07 - the newest versions) and crack from a torrent and works good as ever... and was freeeeeeeeeeeee.

I tried open office for her but she uses a lot if being a communications major and stubborn so she demeaned I get office for her.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-26-2011, 8:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
Well, welcome to my new desk top.
My old Dell 460 was getting a little slow after 9 years and I was getting warning signs of an eventual melt down.
My issue is this: I really don't want to pay Mr. Gates another 300 clams to run word, excel and outlook.
I use excel daily but on a very basic spreadsheet template. In the field I use a netbook and have loaded Open Office and it works OK but has some serious glitches when I try to edit with it.

I have heard of Google documents but don't know anything about it. Also I am not always able to get get internet in the field or when traveling abroad.
I love Outlook and have used it for eons.
1) Is there a good alternative to outlook that gives a calender and drag / drop folder options?
2) Excel compatible option? is the pay version of O office better?
3) Word?
4) or do I just pony up the dough and buy office 2010?
Sent you a PM
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-27-2011, 8:46 AM Reply   
openoffice.org
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-29-2011, 3:34 PM Reply   
Thank you wakeworld.
The issue has been resolved beyond my expectations.
In the interim I learned to use Open Office with more dexterity and found Modzilla Thunderbird is a really good email manager that I would be happy with going forward.
thanks again
John
Old     (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-30-2011, 11:38 AM Reply   
open office duude