Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-21-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
There has been some rumor on the wake boarding forum of Board Stock and The Wake Surfing Championships being cancelled this year. I just spoke with Centurion and nothing has changed. Same location and same weekend in August.
Actually they didn't (in the forum) mention the Worlds. I put that in, cause I'm assuming they both go together. look in the wake boarding section 4 more info.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-22-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
Do you have a link to the forum?
Old    surfdad            02-22-2007, 10:04 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/414724.html

There is a good cite to a local newspaper about the event being cancelled. I don't believe that is an accurate assessment. This wouldn't be the first time that Boardstock had to change venue's. Now THAT wouldn't surprize me one bit.
Old    surfdad            02-22-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
This is the cite in the Press Democrat:

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070221/NEWS/702210401&SearchID=73272930949397
Old    surfdad            02-22-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
This might be easier, huh? Full text of the article, seems to be contrary to what Alan was told:

Konocti Harbor Resort has severed its hosting arrangement for the 2007 BoardStock extreme sporting event on Clear Lake, citing problems with underage drinking. "This is on 120 acres and people are everywhere. It's very difficult to be responsible for (monitoring alcohol consumption on) it," said Konocti President and General Manager Greg Bennett.

The resort's liquor license was suspended for 20 days after problems surfaced at the '06 event, which drew 25,000-30,000 fans of summer extreme sports.

BoardStock founder Rob Stimmel said the event will be held this summer for a 13th year, but a site has not been determined. The issue of underage drinking became apparent last summer - Konocti's second year of hosting the event - when state Alcoholic Beverage Control officials issued 40 citations related to minors drinking, possessing or being under the influence of alcohol, said Michael Mann, the agency's district administrator for Lake, Mendocino, Sonoma, Napa and Marin counties.
Konocti served its license suspension in January, he said.

Bennett estimated 5,000 to 6,000 people, many under 21, attended BoardStock each day. The four-day event on Clear Lake featured wakeboarding, wake surfing, skydiving, motocross, music and more.

"There are a substantial number of kids and teens who are attracted to the extreme sporting events," Bennett said.

Because of a drinking-related violation at the event in 2005, the ABC assigned about a dozen agents to the event in 2006, Mann said.
The violations occurred despite Konocti's efforts, Bennett said. More than 200 employees were assigned to security duty, he said.
A dozen Lake County deputies and police also were assigned to monitor the event each day, along with deputies from four other counties and officers from the CHP, state Fish and Game and the state parks department, said Sheriff Rod Mitchell.

Bennett said BoardStock is a good event, but Konocti can't risk loss of its liquor license.
Mann agreed that large, outdoor events like BoardStock are very difficult to control. "When you have large venues, it's not uncommon" to have violations, he said.

Konocti plans to alter its license to limit where alcoholic beverages are allowed, making it easier to oversee consumption.
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-22-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
I spoke to Vicky at Kal Kustom and she reasured me that it will be held at the same place and same weekend. When I called Konocti - I spoke to an rececptionist and could not get through to managment. That's all I heard. We'll see what happens.
Old    surfdad            02-22-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
Yeah, who knows - how many different locations has Boardstock been? Plus like you pointed out Alan, the World's is different than Boardstock, it might be smart if they broke away from Boardstock altogether like when they held it down in Merced at Lake Yosemite, that was a good venue for wakesurfing.
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-22-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
it would be smart Jeff, if they seperated the two events. lake yosemite as i recall had a shallow spot right when you start your run, and the wake was dead at that spot and picked up as it got deeper. my choice is stockton. it's real deep in that channel. too bad you'll have to travel far for that one Jeff.
April at Lake Tulloch is happening for sure.
Old    surfdad            02-22-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
LOL - Yeah, the deep water channel is about 1 mile from my office. Although, I can't say I was thrilled with the stuff growing in the channel - has anyone ever done a workup on that? I have heard that the Tulloch Spring Break is going to be strictly wet t-shirt and beer contest age - we were in FL last year and missed that contest, have you heard anything more about the contest?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       02-22-2007, 5:30 PM Reply   
Last time I heard from Kayce Brewer of Centurion, she said that Tullock was probably not inviting Centurion back for the spring break event. They wanted to make it 21 and over only. She said that they might be having another event there later in the year.
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-23-2007, 7:33 PM Reply   
if you go to the wake board forum David clearly has the answer to where everything is going to be. Apperantly; same date, just different location - 10 miles away. Some one please post the link.
Old    surfdad            02-24-2007, 5:09 AM Reply   
The thread, I do believe, remains the same url as the third post above:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/414724.html

From what I can tell, there isn't a definitive site or even date yet. It appears that they WANT it to be held on Clear Lake on the same proposed dates, but as Dave Williams states the operative phrase in the second sentence is "However, they are still trying to put it together". Dave's post:

"I just got off the phone with Rob Stimmel of Boardstock Promotions, Inc. and he confirmed that Konocti has backed out because of the problems with ABC. However, they are still trying to put it together in the same area on the same lake about 10 miles away from Konocti at the city park. The dates should remain the same if all goes well."