Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Tguy)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-04-2013, 4:51 AM Reply   
Hey guys I was able to finally get out and try some wake surfing the other weekend and just like I figured, I'm now hooked. Now I'm looking at picking up a boat for around 40k. What boats/models should I be looking at?

Sent from my pimpin iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-04-2013, 5:07 AM Reply   
Boats that are more designed for wakesurfing:
Tige
Centurion
Supreme

You can pick up an Avalanche, older Enzo for 40k. I am not as familiar with the Tige boats. I am sure there are more that can be added to this list.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-04-2013, 3:56 PM Reply   
Tige 22Ve, 22V, 24V, 24Ve are my favorite, we sold our 2007 24Ve for $35k and it throws a world class wake.

The Avalanche is another that we surf with all the time and makes a great wake.

There are several sangers, but personally I don't think they have enough freeboard, but that may not bother you.

Many people love the older Enzo 230s, but most people I know with those don't make a wake on the opposite side, but if you only surf regular, that may not be an issue either.

All of the above boats if cared for will give you years of enjoyment, well made boats.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-04-2013, 6:13 PM Reply   
All of the above are good prospects to look at. Make sure you have a local dealer you can trust to service your boat.Boat ownership is much more pleasurable when your using your boat and not waiting to get service done.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-04-2013, 6:38 PM Reply   
Pretty much Ragboy said. Those are all great Tige's. The Centurion 230 was the workhouse of wakesurfing for a number of years.
Supremes can be had fairly cheap. You will be looking at 2006-2009 model years for Tige and Centurion at a 40k cut off, for the most part.

23-24' Malibus create a great wave with enough weight. Newer year Axis produce a good wake, and MB has been making some noise.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-04-2013, 6:52 PM Reply   
Basically, find something within the what we have mentioned that suits you, and it will be fine. All great choices.
Old     (Tguy)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-07-2013, 3:54 AM Reply   
Ok I was looking at some tige 22v boats and I like them. Now can I fin them with built in ballasts that will produce a nice wake or will I have to get some of those ballast bags?

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-07-2013, 11:21 AM Reply   
Most likely you will be creating a system. Its really not that hard on that boat. You will need a horseshoe front bag, 2 custom L-Shaped large sacs in rear, and then plumb it. There are many options for plumbing, if it was me, I would start with 3 johnson reversible pumps each through the bottom of the boat to each bag. Its simple, bullet proof and effective. The only thing is the pumps will empty out the bottom so you miss the "peeing" out the side, but that is not really an issue. The rear bags will take 15-20 mins to fill from zero to full, but it is rare that that is a problem for us. Later you can add a cross over pump to switch faster and play from there. The reversible pumps never need priming, you just have to make sure they have the newer green impeller. Change the impellers at the beginning of every season. That type of system may not be the fastest on the block, but I think probably the easiest and most reliable. Take your time, have fun. There is nothing funner, IMHO than building and seeing the results when your family surfs. There is nothing worse than spending tons of time and taking your family out and it doesn't work, so make sure you always have a couple of manual tsunami pumps and quickfill connects on all bags.

Last tip is to make sure you order your sacs with enough ports for whatever you may do. Like adding a cross and booster pumps in the future.
Old     (Tguy)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-07-2013, 11:16 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info everyone it helped a lot.

Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-11-2013, 9:13 AM Reply   
The Tige 24v in my opinion is the best wake surf boat on a budget out there. It is so easy to make a wake with no ballast on the seats, just fill up and go. The wake is absolutely massive, long, and hard. This boat with the 6.0L motor sips the gas too. On a 48g tank it is not hard to push over ten hours to a tank loaded up for surfing. The boat handles well and has tons of room. It is also super deep and very dry even on windy days. The bow really knocks the spray down instead of into the boat like the new boats do with the flat gunwales.

Our setup for our 2004 24v is to use 4 1100 lb sacs in each storage compartment. I use an additional sac under the bench seat shich is an 1100 lb sac but who know how much is actually in there for weight when full (guessing 500 lbs). I also use another 400 lb sac on top of the 1100lb sac in rear locker to fill to top space. Likely only adds another 100 lbs or so. So I fill the front up as full as the sacs go, and rear surf side 100% and non surf side 50%. Then fill the sacs under the bench and on top of rear surf side locker. This gives a pro size wake that is easy to use for anyone. We then use the taps to shape for the rider. Typically the taps is at 6 for surf style and airs because the lip is the best. It would be a lot easier to just use the L shape sacs though... Just on a budget we use what we got.

I added a 2013 Z3 to the fleet this year with the VX. It has taken some time to dial in and we now have it where we like it but the 24v is right there with it, just missing about two feet of rideable wake that the vx gives you. With out the vx though the 24V is better than the z3. I suspect this to be because the shape of the transom on the 24V helps shape the transition as the side of the boat creates the high pressure needed for a wake and the transom releases that energy in a controlled manner much like a shoreline.
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-11-2013, 11:10 AM Reply   
06-08 VLX Will throw a pretty sweet surf wake with stock ballast and some 750s.