Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-02-2010, 9:30 PM Reply   
This is my first post, so go easy on me...

Anyhow, I have been reading through threads and posts on here for the past few months, and the wakeboarding bug bit me. I did a bit of skateboarding it what feels like a past life, and have spent many years on friends and families boats.

I bought a board used on craigslist to get me started, mainly because any of the people I know that wakeboard have higher level equipment. I have read trying to start out on those types of boards is not the best idea. So what I got was a basically brand new HyperLite Cruiser 140 for a great price. From the reviews I have found, this seems to be a decent beginners board. Here is where the question comes in...

I unscrewed the bindings and removed them from the board (HyperLite Vario) and found that they are mediums. I saw online that size is intended for 6-10.5, and typically I wear an 11 or 11.5. I tried the bindings on, and my toes came to the very edge of the bottom. I did not tighten the bindings, so my ankle and heal were not completely pushed against the rear part of the boot.

So in are these bindings way too small? I just want to try and get up on the board, get used to being towed, etc. Am I putting myself in danger by trying the basics with these bindings? Or can I get used to wake boarding with this setup, then move onto bigger bindings later on? (From the threads I have searched, I didn't find too many warnings about small bindings; more issues stem from bindings that are too big it seems)

Thanks for the input, I can't wait to get in the water this year...
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-02-2010, 10:14 PM Reply   
If it's not incredibly uncomfortable then sure if your just looking to get up. If your feet are numb or hurt like hell you'll think differently. Keep an eye out in the classified section on this website. I have bought and sold plenty of stuff with no problems at all. Oh and welcome to WW
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-02-2010, 11:31 PM Reply   
Welcome to WW Matt, I think I might have a couple of old bindings that are a couple years old that should fit your feet better. Let me scrounge through the shed and see what I can dig up. I have size 13 feet and bindings are always way to tight for my feet. I'll post tommorrow and see what I can find. There yours for whatever the shipping costs to wherever you are. Unless of course your local then just come over and grab them!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-03-2010, 12:42 AM Reply   
matt, whatever you do, take robert up on his offer. people think the most important purchase is the board. i've always said it's the bindings. you can have the sickest board on the planet, but if your feet aren't comfortable, learning and having fun is going to be hard to come by.

welcome to wakeworld and have fun out there.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-03-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help guys. Oddly the bindings don't feel too tight, my fear was more around my toes being right to the edge. I never considered overall comfort, and it makes sense I should.

Robert, I will definately take you up on your offer. Let me know what you find. I live in Chicago, so I
think whatever you find, it will need to be shipped. I appreciate you helping
me out!
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-03-2010, 5:22 PM Reply   
Matt found some bindings for you. There Hyperlite Foundations size x-Large I posted a pic on our website as I haven't figured how to load pics yet.

http://www.26states30lakes.com/bindings

I'll box them up tonight, shoot me your address and I'll throw them in the mail to you! Robert
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-05-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
Matt there in the mail! You should see them on friday! Sent you an email too!
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-05-2010, 7:53 PM Reply   
Matt- Welcome to WW!
Robert-Good stuff as always!
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-12-2010, 5:20 PM Reply   
Matt!!!

You alive???

They arrived at your house friday and I've heard nothing?

Do they work?

Did you forget about me?

You've been online and posted on other posts!

You couldn't acknowledge my email? Not cool buddy. Not the way to start earning lots of friends on here.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-18-2010, 8:10 PM Reply   
Matt you where alive! lol

I guess I needed to check my personal email! My bad.

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Have fun riding and hopefully we can meet up with while we're back east on our wakeboarding trip!