Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (pariswake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-27-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
Hi,

What should I look out for in a pre purchase inspection of a 2005 Super Air Nautique 210 team edition, 360 hrs, with bimini top, new clarion amplifier, boat cover, antifouling, shower, heater, solid colour hull, cleats, fresh water cooling ...

What kind of engine inspection do you recommend?
What should I do during the test run?

Thanks for the help. }
Old     (kylenautique)      Join Date: May 2008       01-27-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
I would take it to a shop that is a PCM dealer so that they can plug into the computer on the engine. It will tell you any fault codes its had or if its ever been put in to to safe mode. Ever been over heated, and for how long. I would have a compression check done too. When you drive it, you want to make sure there is no vibrations. You will feel it in the steering wheel if there is anything. Run the boat at all different speeds, turn it hard both ways, check everything like perfect pass to make sure it all works. Make sure the oil pressure is good. Check if the prop was ever repaired. There will be a stamp either on the front or the back of it by where the shaft goes through it. If it has, that means the original owner hit something and you need to make sure the shaft is straight. A shop can check the alignment on the shaft.

Has it been in salt water? If not cared properly, salt will shorten the life of the engine and the parts hooked to it.

Thats what I would do if I was buying it. I used to be a boat mechanic, and I have seen people buy crap boats because they never had them checked out.
Old     (pariswake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-27-2010, 10:21 AM Reply   
It's never been in salt water.
Only problem is that I'm in Europe. The boat is located in Austria & the closest PCM dealer is Germany! Is it feasible to bring the computer to the engine??

The boats also comes with a continental aluminium trailer. Is this a reputable product?

thanks.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-27-2010, 4:34 PM Reply   
Any well equipped shop can run the diagnostics on it...most shops use a version of a Diacom software that allows them to access the ECM's on pretty much any GM based EFI motors. Some of the oddball Mercruiser's with the 555 ignition ECM's need Mercury's software, but PCM/INDMAR/ MarinePower units can all be scoped with Diacom.