Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (bodie1204)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-17-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
What do you think would be the best practice for wakeboarding. I have seen these boards at tierney board shop online that have two centered wheels that looks like it would work. I have also seen like the rip stick and the wave board and the flowboard. Does anyone have any experience with any of these, and do you think it would work. Any help would be awesome.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-17-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
longboard?
trampoline is better though
Old     (sjohnson)      Join Date: May 2007       07-17-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
My buddy and I have gone through a few boards long, short, and a flowboard with the center wheel.

We'd find an huge empty parking lot, throw the tow rope on the hitch blast some tunes and carve it up at about 15 mph with the rope on the shortest length. I'd recommend using an old rope cause the pavement f's up the handle.

Best board we found was a bamboo long board made by loaded. Its got some good flex in it and doesnt speed wobble until you get deep in the 20 mph's if you crank down the trucks.

All in all, its a good time and you can work on riding switch. Thats what I found to be the most useful.

oh ya. on the flowboard you can work on the handle pass, kinda like surface 3's on the water. We'd only go at idle speed on that thing though...its pretty tricky.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-17-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
Ya loaded make great long boards as well as Carve boards, both are really sick long board companies.

http://www.loadedboards.com/newsite_v1/
http://www.carveboard.com/
Old     (bodie1204)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-17-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
yeah I am really just looking for an opportunity to ride switch more often and get a better feel for that. Is there any other options that anyone has come across?
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-17-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
Buy a regular skateboard and ride it! Down hills, Ollies, shredding, rails etc... Great practice for wakeboarding especially the ollies and riding switch. Also, youll get your body ready for some hard falls, since youll take harder ones on a skate.
Old     (deltarat)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-17-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
try a freeboard they're meant for snowboarding but help for wakeboarding and balance
Old     (sjohnson)      Join Date: May 2007       07-17-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
Freeboard...has wheels in the middle and you can rotate. (can practice handle pass, i mixed them up earlier)

Flowboard..has inline skate wheels i think.

We've used both. If your towing behind a car, the inline wheels get shredded quick (like one or 2 sessions) and are kind of expensive to replace.
Old     (bodie1204)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-18-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
YEAH I LOOKED AT THE FREEBORD WEBSITE AND THAT LOOKS LIKE THE BEST OPTION FOR WHAT I NEED. A LITTLE EXPENSIVE BUT DEFINITELY PRETTY COOL. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS.
Old     (sjohnson)      Join Date: May 2007       07-18-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
Fair warning...That thing is difficult to ride and if you "catch an edge" its not pretty. Thats why we keep it at idle speed when towing it.

I guess with some patience and practice you can get it workin good. Good Luck!
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-18-2007, 8:34 PM Reply   
just skateboard. how much practice do you need for just edging on a wakeboard? go to a skatepark learn how to catch air and pump transition.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-18-2007, 9:19 PM Reply   
"...takin it to tha streets"
Old     (lfboarder94)      Join Date: May 2007       07-19-2007, 5:35 AM Reply   
how do u ride the freebord 0n flat graoun can u push of
Old     (sjohnson)      Join Date: May 2007       07-19-2007, 8:20 AM Reply   
Gotta tow it or go downhill. It doesnt work like a regular longboard or skateboard. It'll just go sideways if you try to kick like normal.

Its a fun ride once you get the feel for it, but when your balance gets shakey and the wheels catch it toss's you. Much like if you catch your front edge snowboarding, but your not strapped in.
Old     (tjdunklee)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-19-2007, 1:38 PM Reply   
Check out my review of the T-Board from Tierney Rides!

http://www.mnboardsports.com/theForums/viewtopic.php?t=65
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
Tim, can you go regular to switch on the T-Board? All the videos on their site looked like it was only ridden in one direction, unlike the Freebord.
Old     (tjdunklee)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-20-2007, 8:27 AM Reply   
No you really can't switch it around much when you are riding. It is fairly directional which is a bummer for most of us snowboard/wakeboard types, but it is still a ton of fun to lay some big carves down with. You can even get it to slide out some with the urethane wheels. I do really want to try the freebord and compare.....
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-20-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
I'm going to the local Freebord dealer today and checking one out. I just don't get enough water time to work on riding switch and think (hope) it'll be a big asset.