Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rider420)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-28-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
I am trying to get double ups down driving the boat but can not seem to get it right. Can anyone help me even if it is a pencil drawing on a stickit .
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-28-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
Here are two ways to drive them for a Heelside approach if you are regular footed. The right drawing is probably more popular but both will work and you can use either depedning on lake area in turn around. The one on the left is the easiest to drive, but usually requires a quick turn after hitting the roller to return the original wake path which some people do not like.

In the right drawing after making the turn at point 1, be sure to drive straight and probably need about 100 or more yards of straight driving to set up the rollers. Can also slow down a little at around point 2 if you want bigger rollers and DUps but this is not necessary. When you make your looping turn to right make sure you make it big enough so when you come to point 3 you have at least a 50 yard straight stretch BEFORE crossing rollers. You want to make sure you have a long enough straight run into the douple up to allow the boat to get back on set speed, get the wake firm again, and give the rider enough time to line it up. Generally, the longer the straight stretch before hitting roller the better. Also make sure you head toward the rollers in the middle of the straight at point 2 that made the rollers. If you head for the area near the initial turn (point 4), the rollers will be small and washy. The angle (X) is up to rider but should generally be between 60 degrees (open) and 90 degrees (closed). The more open the DUP the easier they are to hit but are less peaky. Closed DUps take more timing but thats where the serious meat is. I like mine closed or slightly open (80 - 90 degrees).
Attached Images

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-28-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
beat me to it!!!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       09-28-2010, 3:41 PM Reply   
Drive a letter P on the water - start wider, rather than sharper, youll see what the perfect P is after youve driven a bunch. Too wide - the D-up will be small, too sharp, the boat wont get to speed in time, your rider will sink, the d-up will be a mess.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-28-2010, 4:18 PM Reply   
Dont forget that if you are learning them making the path where you cross the rollers more "open" will make it easier to hit. The rider can follow the trough into the wake and get booted. Once you guys start getting better at hitting them you can "Tee em up" more at a 90 degree path giving the double up a peakier hit.

Another thing to remember is that even though the line you drive is straight, the wake coming off your boat is in the shape of a "V". So you want to take this into consideration when you are lining up the rollers for the dub and when you are lining up the wake the rider will be hitting with the dub.

You can also get even "trickier" with it by throwing an inward or outward kink in your "set line". Essentially a Triple up or the opposite. This is another preference rider and will depend on many factors including boat weight. Looking at the "Dog Legged" double up above (right side one), we would throw a small inward s turn after we made the initial left allowing the triple up to form right where we will be lining up the double up when we come back through. Remember NOT to drive the boat through this potentially HUGE roller, but to line the roller up with your wake 5-10 feet to the inside of the driver in the diagram above.

Whew...there's probably even more to talk about but yah...there are a LOT of options for dubs.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-28-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
Ohh and one last good piece of advice: When learning to hit them start out with really short approaches...maybe 10-15 feet outside the wake. Watch the rollers and try to end up in the "pit of the roller" when you are in the trough of the wake....then you get that warm fuzzy feeling...like climbing the rope in gym class.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-29-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
Yep you can kink them with an inside turn to get tripple ups going, but those can get crazy....too crazy for me. If you want to have some more fun on turn arounds, you can kink your 'set line' or initial path (left diagram) with a moderately wide slow inside turn and take a really long loop around and approach back to the kink and if you set them up right with a weighted boat will have some 4 foot high whoops or rythm section of rollers to ride over. The roller woops can get pretty massive and the first one is easy to clear landing on down slope of second, but that 3rd one will get most riders.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-30-2010, 3:20 PM Reply   
Drive it as big as you can, I hate still being on the whip when I'm supposed to be settling down into a cut. It just makes it really hard and I usually miss the d up completely if the turn is too sharp.
Old     (rider420)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-30-2010, 4:05 PM Reply   
Thank you guys for all the help . This weekend I will put all to good use.
Old     (ajimmyjammin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-03-2010, 8:40 PM Reply   
***whatever you do don't OVERTURN the DU. it's better to come sort of 90' . if you over turn the du. (anything past 90') the shape of the du could hurt your rider. it causes the top of the du to roll over toward the rider, hanging them up at best.