Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-30-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
I'm getting excited! Last Tour for Lance, I don't think he has the power to Contador but hope to be proven wrong.....
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-30-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
he has the power. you shall see.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-30-2010, 2:13 PM Reply   
Lance has the team, the smarts and experience. If conditions get tricky or team tactics come into play, Contador will be in a bad place.

Totally out of left field protection, Contador drops out citing some medical reason.
Old    alanp            06-30-2010, 3:19 PM Reply   
should be a great race. gonna go with lance only because of his team. one on one would go to contador imo
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-30-2010, 3:23 PM Reply   
Go team Radio Shack!

I am afraid that I will be left wanting with my wanting LA to win.... Though it would make my July....

So if I have to put money on someone who isn't an American....I take Andy Shleck.
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-30-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
Can't way for the tour to start!!
I'm glad Versus and Directv settled their little squabble.

And Andy Shleck doesn't have a prayer.....
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-30-2010, 7:54 PM Reply   
Andy is a good person to put your money on.

I dislike Alberto so much as long as he dosen't win Ill be happy. If Lance can beat Alberto weather he wins the tour I will have a big smile.

I think Fabian Cancellara will win Stage #1 aboard the SHIV and wear yellow for a few days

Last edited by grant_west; 06-30-2010 at 7:58 PM.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-01-2010, 2:04 AM Reply   
Cancellara is a beast, I watched him win on cobbles and that was an impressive performance to say the least.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-01-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
Cycling is all about doping right now. Until they get that under control, how can you trust any of the riders, including Lance?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-01-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
Cycling is all about doping right now. Until they get that under control, how can you trust any of the riders, including Lance?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-01-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
I'm not trusting them to fix my vitamins for me, I'm trusting them to entertain me.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-01-2010, 2:24 PM Reply   
I'll be following things via: http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#50...5&z=5&pid=5874
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-02-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
Yeah, but Darren, does Bonds and McQuire's feats seem that great now that we know they were using medicinal advantages?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-02-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
Yeah, but Darren, does Bonds and McQuire's feats seem that great now that we know they were using medicinal advantages?
WTF does that have to do with anything? So do you just not enjoy sports? No football because we know players have used(are using) PED's....no baseball for the same reason....or basketball....obviously you have already mentioned cycling. I assume you have swore off the Olympics as well....?

There are whispers that players on the PGA Tour have been using PEDs.....God knows if it has infiltrated golf that tennis is juicing as well.... Have you taken a good look at the Williams' sisters.....

I'm with you...sports are all about doping, forget the TdF....I'm going to read a book.

If people are competing against each other at the highest level and there is money involved....most likely there are those that will push the limits with pharmacology.... The powers that be try to stay on top of this and usually have testing measures. Those caught are publicly ousted and most likely suspended....

In the end, I flip on the tube or go to the event and the thought doesn't cross my mind, really could not care less..... I loved the Mark McGwire/Sammy Sosa run in 1998 and still remember that Summer fondly.... Do I want an asterisk on the Bonds HR record....? Nope....
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-02-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   
Yeah, I remember the McGwire/Sosa chase as well. Everyone was encapsulated by it. Both players appeared to be stand up kind of guys, now we find out they cheated. That is why most didn't give a sheet when Bonds broke the record.

I think there are very few in golf using PED's. They offer no benefit to a professional golfer, unless there is some substantial injury. PGA players are constantly calling rule infractions on themselves which in many cases costs them place money or the tournament.

Tennis is the same. Otherwise that guy that won the three day match last week, would not have gotten rocked in his next match solely on fatigue.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-02-2010, 10:31 PM Reply   
I think the podium will be the same as last year. Contador , Schleck, Armstrong.

Ill be there this year. cant wait. I ll be there for 2 weeks and I will be riding 3 stages and climbing, Mont Ventoux, Tourmolet, Ax-3 Domaines.
It will be crazy hard but Ill be on top of those 3 mountains one way or another.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-04-2010, 4:51 PM Reply   
Crazy finish with all the wrecks at the end today.... I had it TiVo'd & it ended about 2 minutes after the finish....no idea if anyone actually was injured.... Not disappointed to see Cavs go down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by three6ty View Post
Ill be there this year. cant wait. I ll be there for 2 weeks and I will be riding 3 stages and climbing, Mont Ventoux, Tourmolet, Ax-3 Domaines.
It will be crazy hard but Ill be on top of those 3 mountains one way or another.
That is soooooo stinking cool. VERY jealous.... If I ever go to Europe, I will plan around the TdF for sure.... AGAIN....SUPER COOL.

Last edited by deuce; 07-04-2010 at 5:01 PM.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-03-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
Wow, Lance looked sharp. Check the eyes in the start box, got redbull? YUP.

Armstrong 1, Contador 0
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-05-2010, 8:09 PM Reply   
Well I just planned out the mountain stages we are doing and when. ITS GOING TO BE A BITCH!!! But I cant wait to get tto the top of each Mountain!! Ill definately take pics at each mountain top and post when I get back. Wish me luck!!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-06-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
Tough day for LA. Had 30 seconds on Contador....loses 50 second to him after the flat. Add to that he had to ride like a mad man to just lose 50.... That riding may cost him later....

Today was thought to be a day he could put some time into Andy and Alberto.....and just the opposite happens.... The tour is not over for LA, but this time is going to be difficult to make up....he is no longer the climber that both of them are....

Now just hoping for podium....but never know what will happen, as the first 2 paragraphs attest....
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-07-2010, 4:18 PM Reply   
Yup, a tough bit of luck for Lance. Too bad. Cantador is riding well. It'll be interesting to see what kind of antics happen in the mountains. I'm not counting Lance out, but he's got a heck of a job ahead of him.

How about Cancellara. That guy's an animal. I'm pretty sure his only goal at the start of the day was to get his jersey back. You definitely can't say he doens't deserve it.

Stage 3 was brutal. The organizers weren't messing around.

So far this Tour has already been fun to watch. Never a dull moment.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-10-2010, 8:09 PM Reply   
Whats up with RadioShack, is Lance going to have to ride the tour by himself?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-11-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
It's over for Lance, bummer.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-11-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
it's over for lance, bummer.
x 2....
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-11-2010, 8:06 PM Reply   
Yes bummer. Oh well maybe he can start going for a few stage victories now, that will be exciting.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2010, 5:22 AM Reply   
Agree Darren. Maybe a stage victory for Lance and a win for A. Schleck and I can be satisfied with the TdF this year.....
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
I think the next two weeks just got even more interesting. Can not wait to see how Radio Shack works to support Levi now, would love to see Lance jump off for some break aways just to shake up the whole race. Wife and I are now routing for Cadel and then Andy Schleck to win. No love for Contador from us. Would really like to see a few more sprinters beat Cav too. He started out sounding so thick and arrogant going into the tour, and now is so much more humble in interviews. HTC does still have a great lead-out train even with George on Team BMC now.
Old    alanp            07-12-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
yeah maybe levi can make the podium. i wonder what this will do to the ratings. kinda like tiger not playing in a pga event.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-12-2010, 1:53 PM Reply   
It was hard to watch Lance mentally throw in the towel (even though I understand why).
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-13-2010, 12:07 AM Reply   
Yes I like the look of Schleck too, Contador is waaaaay to impressed with himself for my liking.
Old    alanp            07-13-2010, 3:33 AM Reply   
andy s. looked like the lance of old when he was attacking the last km of stage 8. he really found his form in the last few weeks. at the tour de suisse. he didnt look as good. in fact i think frank looked much better than him.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-13-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
WOW....what a great race today!

Schleck and Conti are in a class by themselves. Contador looked MUCH stronger today than Sunday... If this continues, I don't see how he doesn't win GC.

Poor Cadel Evans.... Apparently he had a broken elbow, which makes him cracking understandable... For a second there I thought he bonked like I would....

WAY TO GO LEVI AND LANCE.... Though podium seems doubtful for Levi, it was still a VERY good ride today. Lance also rode well.... Still crossing my fingers that Lance can get a stage win.....
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-13-2010, 9:16 PM Reply   
::Language warning:: This sums up what Lance must be feeling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVFKx...=youtube_gdata
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-15-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
^ Thats pretty funny. I have to say Im not a big Mark Cavindish fan. This guy IMO comes across as if he is some super stud god to cycyling and he can barley drag his but over the mountians. In sharp contrast you have Thor hushovd IMO this guy is a stud. Yea he might not be able to out sprint Mark Cavndish but at least his whole team is not built on a Sprinter.
Cadel looked like he was in some serious pain I thought he was gonna cry. I hope Andy can win and Contador might find some bad luck because thats the only way IMO Andy is gonna win
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2010, 2:15 PM Reply   
The Rest day episode where Lance and Johan discus the Layndis Nuclear super suppository is really good.

I hope Schleck can do it, contador looks like a poof when he climbs out of the saddle, drives me bananas.
Old    alanp            07-17-2010, 5:28 AM Reply   
lance kinda pisses me off. levi is still doing well and lance is just hanging out at the back of the pack getting dropped on every climb. and i think he has the energy to help but just doesnt feel like exerting himself. i wish he would get up there an help out his team mate. rant over.
Old     (tsteeb)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-19-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
huge bummer for schleck slipped chain going up the mountain, looked like he might have had contador on the ropes, what a crap way to lose yellow.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
Lance refusing to do any work is really disappointing.

Condator is a scummy POS. Can't believe he attacked Andy after a broken chain. So much for decades of race tradition. Typical Contador.

Hope Andy has something special because he's going to need it to have any chance.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-19-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
Contador is an Arsehole!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2010, 3:25 PM Reply   
Yea, his taking advantage of A. Schleck's mechanical was pretty douche IMO. He can blame it on possibly losing time to Sanchez or Menchov....or whatever he wants.... I think attacking yellow when down is pretty chitty....

It appears that camps are pretty split on this.... Though I would have gained immediate respect for Contador if he would have waited the few seconds he would have had to wait....

In the end, I think he still beats Schleck because of the ITT....so it would have given him good will....
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
I'm bummed on Lance, seems like he has just let off completely. There seems to be some talk of Radio Shack going for the team GC, but they are not looking strong enough to me for that at this point either. Levi is kinda just there in the top of the standings but really seems to lack the instinct to win.

Totally mixed on the whole AC vs Schleck deal. Slipping the chain sucks, but then 3rd and 4th place GC guys took off too. Why would Contador give time up to the next 2 guys in the GC standing? If all of them slowed down for a minute and let Andy sort things out that would have been cool, but I'm not sure if the table was turned if anything different would have occurred. It's racing.

I agree that Andy was not banking enough time on AC anyways. He needs like 1:30 to 2:00 on him for the final Time Trail. Tomorrow and the next day will be interesting!
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2010, 6:16 PM Reply   
First, Contador and Schleck don't take Menchov and Sanchez at all seriously (see yesterday for example). This is a 2-man race, at least to the point where Contador could have sat up and waited, or directed Menchov and Sanchez to wait.

Second, Contador clearly saw Andy had a mechanical problem and THEN launched his counterattack, blowing by Vino. This is not really grey area imo. You can think it's fine or whatever, but there is no doubt Contador put in a vicious attack at a time he knew his only rival was having a mechanical problem.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-20-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
GREAT run by LA today..... DAMN I was leaning into the television on that sprint....

Fine job by Horner as well....

His intereview after the race was bittersweet....

Reporter : “And you showed Lance Armstrong is not over with”

Armstrong : “Lance Armstrong is over with in about four or five days, so … You know?“ (then with a smile) “I wasn’t the oldest guy in the breakaway.”

Man I wish I would have been into this as much back in his prime.....
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-20-2010, 7:18 PM Reply   
Contador is a turd..... It's bad enough he attacked Schleck when he slipped the chain. Let's face it, if Conturd wouldn't have gone, neither would anyone else. Like Paul mentioned, Vinny clearly let up when he saw the mechanical.

Heck, the day (or 2 prior), Conturd attacked his teammate Vinny within the last K, after he spent the entire day working in the break

Great quote by Armstrong today
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-22-2010, 4:04 PM Reply   
Contador may be an expert of douche baggery but he sure can ride the mountains. He showed today he is more than a match for Schleck. Credit where credit is due, not contesting the stage win was a nice touch.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-22-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
Well, let's not forget that when Andy's chain problem happened, he had dropped Contador. Contador has not looked the same today or throughout the tour to me. We will never know if Andy had that 39 secs back or whatever it was, plus whatever he might have gained if Contador had not been able to close the gap Andy had opened.

That's the problem with attacking when there's a mechanical problem, particularly in a close race. There's no denying it changed everything and basically eliminated Andy's chances of winning.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-22-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
I was hopin', but barring an amazing attack by Andy, it wasn't going to happen. All Contador had to do was just hang on him, which he did. There were some good exchange of looks caught on the camera though!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-24-2010, 8:24 AM Reply   
Schleck made it interesting today....

TdF #3 for Alberto Contador
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-24-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
Meh, so not an AC fan.

Would have loved to seen a Tour with Frank Schleck in it to the end. He would have so helped Andy out in ways the rest of their team could not in the Mountains.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-24-2010, 7:24 PM Reply   
Cancellara is a beast
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-26-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
I think Schleck will be the man next year. If he can improve his time trialing a bit more and get his brother's help to the end I think he'll be un-stoppable. He made a couple mistakes that likely cost him the tour. The first was not going earlier way back on about stage 11 (the day he got 10 sec's on Contador). I think he could have broken him that day. Also, losing the chain. No, it wasn't his fault, but man, that alone could have been the momentum shift that did him in. He made it close in the time trial. It was much closer than I thought it would be. Kind of heartbraking, really.

All in all, I thought it was a good tour. Nice to see Radio Shack on top in their first tour. It'll be interesting to see who leads that team next year. Leipheimer, or Horner?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-26-2010, 8:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
I think Schleck will be the man next year. If he can improve his time trialing a bit more and get his brother's help to the end I think he'll be un-stoppable. He made a couple mistakes that likely cost him the tour. The first was not going earlier way back on about stage 11 (the day he got 10 sec's on Contador). I think he could have broken him that day. Also, losing the chain. No, it wasn't his fault, but man, that alone could have been the momentum shift that did him in. He made it close in the time trial. It was much closer than I thought it would be. Kind of heartbraking, really.

All in all, I thought it was a good tour. Nice to see Radio Shack on top in their first tour. It'll be interesting to see who leads that team next year. Leipheimer, or Horner?
I was watching some post tour show yesterday and it really does look like Andy lost chain due to cross chaining himself. When you see a head on camera angle, you'll see him tap the shifter and then the chain issue occurs. Looks like he tired to use his inner front and shift to the 13t rear while hard on the pedals. I know I can shift my SRAM bike under load and cross chain now and then too without issue, put I'm sure I don't put out the same power as these guys. Still a shame it happened. Would have really liked to have seen Andy in Yellow at the end.

Not sure about Radio Shack for next year. Great to see Horner climb up the standings, sad to see that Levi could not keep up. Maybe Radio Shack picks up a couple of other riders off season to get a new lead man for the Tour next year. There does seem to be a few other guys out there that on the right team and manage to avoid incidents should finish strong.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-26-2010, 10:56 PM Reply   
Levi & Horner looked pretty second rate compared to some of the other talent on tour, IMO Vinokourov is the most impressive all round "non star" rider I saw on the tour he is a big scary beast. The most significant moments on the tour was day of hell on stage 4? for Lance when he tasted the tarmac on multiple times & when Frank Schleck got punted out with a broken collar bone, it would have been a very different tour if he had been there to support Andy in the mountains.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-27-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
Also, on the chain deal.... I couldn't believe how long it took him to get off the bike and get the chain back on. That should have taken about 2 seconds. Instead he was trying to roll it back on by shifting into the big ring. I've had that work on my mountain bike, but it rarely works on a road bike with a bigger inside chain ring. Oh well.... It's easy to be a spectator and comment on his mistakes.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
Would like to see Radio Shack go after a MONSTER GC contender. With Saxo dropping....wonder if there is a chance they could swoope the Schleck brothers....

Hell...sign FC as well.....
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-27-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
Who else thiks the whole chain slip had NOTHING to do with Schleck loosing the Tour.
IMO Schleck lost the tour because he is or was not as strong as AC. Had Schleck not lost his chain im sure we would have seen AC try and rip the legs off of Schleck. Yes this would have been much more exciting but in the end I think the results would have been the same. with AC in Yellow.

When I watch the replay Schleck launched a attack. AC responded and didn't stop. Was it fair should have he waited????

I was bummed because Yea I wanted to see a One on One battle royal. I guess next year.

AC did drop a bit on my respect level but I thought it was cool that the next day Schleck and AC rode side by side and AC didn't jump infront of Schleck at the line and take away the win even though It looked like he had the power to win. Very much like how Lance gave a win or let Pantani ride across the line first as they rode together up a mountain finish.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Who else thiks the whole chain slip had NOTHING to do with Schleck loosing the Tour.
IMO Schleck lost the tour because he is or was not as strong as AC. Had Schleck not lost his chain im sure we would have seen AC try and rip the legs off of Schleck. Yes this would have been much more exciting but in the end I think the results would have been the same. with AC in Yellow.
I think if that chain doesn't slip, Schleck gains time on Contador that day....and goes on to win the tour. With the slip, Contador gains 39 seconds, which is the exact time he wins Yellow by...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-27-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
What about the TT at the end. Lets just say he didnt slip the chain. And he finishes even with AC that day. Do you think he could have taken AC in a TT?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2010, 2:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
What about the TT at the end. Lets just say he didnt slip the chain. And he finishes even with AC that day. Do you think he could have taken AC in a TT?
I don't think the time trial changes at all.......? Contador still get 31 seconds on Schleck....

I think the tour ends just like it did, but that Contador doesn't get that 39 seconds during the chain slip.... and Schleck gets a few extra seconds in that stage(where he was attacking), winning by those few seconds... Remember, Schleck had a 31 second lead going into the chain slip day....

It is 100% speculation, which is all we can do.... Some may say that Contador knew that he had the ITT time at the end, though he face didn't indicate that.....

In the end, I just don't know how you can say that the chain slip didn't make a difference, which just doesn't make sense to me... It made a Yellow Jersey difference.... Without the chain slip, Schleck wears yellow the rest of the tour....
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-27-2010, 3:39 PM Reply   
Meh, Alberto was countering Andy's attack. If anyone, Andy should be mad at SRAM and the team mechanics. Nobody should be throwing a chain in the tour like that in 2010. Either the components were crap or the derailleur wasn't adjusted correctly. Either way, that's not the same as flatting or getting yanked over by some yahoo with a musette bag.

And who know what would've happened on the Tourmalet if Alberto hadn't gotten time on the prior stage.... too many variables.

Hopefully this just plants the seed for andy to come back for blood next year. It was a great race to watch.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2010, 4:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Meh, Alberto was countering Andy's attack. If anyone, Andy should be mad at SRAM and the team mechanics. Nobody should be throwing a chain in the tour like that in 2010. Either the components were crap or the derailleur wasn't adjusted correctly. Either way, that's not the same as flatting or getting yanked over by some yahoo with a musette bag.

And who know what would've happened on the Tourmalet if Alberto hadn't gotten time on the prior stage.... too many variables.

Hopefully this just plants the seed for andy to come back for blood next year. It was a great race to watch.
Alberto was going to try to jump on Schleck's wheel, he had not done it..... There are those who might say he was not looking great.....

I am not making excuses for Schleck....just saying that the chain slip did matter....it was significant in the outcome. Rider error, bad luck, poor tune, act of God....doesn't much matter now....it happened and it cost him 39 seconds.....

Agree it was a fun race & there are too many variables to be assured of a different outcome....but it would have been 39 seconds in Schleck's favor....
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-27-2010, 4:10 PM Reply   
No argument there... definitely a big factor in the outcome. I was just saying I don't think it was unsportsmanlike for Contador to continue to attack.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-28-2010, 7:13 AM Reply   
I just got back from France and wow was it Intense!!!

We rode up Alpe D'Huez, Col du Aspine, Col du Tourmalet and rode parts of 2 other flat/hilly stages. The Tourmalet is just an Epic climb as well as Alpe D'Huez. Stayed in the same hotel at BMC and Cervelo down in Toulouse. Was at the top of the Tourmalet when they rode up and over on the Stage 17 and there were 10,000+ people at the top and it was electrifying.
I will post a few pictures when I get a chance.
Unbeleivable trip!!
Old    alanp            07-28-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
pics pics pics!!! sounds like a great trip
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-28-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
Oh man.... That trip sounds amazing. Someday I'll make that journey.

Hey, trust me... Contador gave it all he had. He didn't want to win by the margin he did. If he had it in him he would have proven that he didn't win because Schleck dropped his chain. I think that ended up being a huge factor in the end. That could have been the climb that Schleck broke Contador on. He'd done it once before. Just because Contador matched Schleck and his accelerations a couple days later doesn't mean he had it in him that day. Also, I think that AC was really confident that he'd take more time out of Schleck on the ITT. Schleck proved himself very strong and resiliant.

If both men come to next years tour with the same fitness I think there'll be fireworks. Particularly if Andy has his brother there to help out in the mountains.

The Schleck brothers joining Radio Shack would be amazing. That team would be super strong. I don't think it'll happen though. I think there will be a new title sponsor for the Saxo Bank squad.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-28-2010, 5:42 PM Reply   
Word on the street is that the Schleck Brothers will be on a new team with a Sponsor from Luxemburg ( where they are from) kind of like when Astana started with Vino. It will basically be their team and they will have some interest ( ownership) of the team as well.

We will see how it plays out.

I tel you what though being there in person and seeing these guys off their bikes is kind of wierd. Most of them are like 5'5" -5"10 and weigh about 145. Looks like a good wind would knock them over. But it is amazing the amount of power they possess.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-28-2010, 6:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by three6ty View Post
I tel you what though being there in person and seeing these guys off their bikes is kind of wierd. Most of them are like 5'5" -5"10 and weigh about 145. Looks like a good wind would knock them over. But it is amazing the amount of power they possess.
It is my excuse why I climb like a sprinter(really not, they would CRUSH me on a climb, but you know what I mean)..... At 6'2" 220....I am not exactly built like a cyclist. (far right, 45ish miles into the Tour de Park City)

Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-29-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
EJ.

Im with your 6'1" 210. I do not go uphill fast, but I make it!!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-29-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
At 6'0 155 I always wonder how you big guys go down hill so fast. Last week I got absolutely hosed going down Diablo by a giant. I was pushing as hard as I could and couldn't even stay on his wheel... Ha, ha, ha.

It is amazing looking at some of these guys. I'd be big compared to a lot of them. When I raced as a junior I was 5'11" and 135lbs. Climbing was like nothing.

What really amazes me is the number of calories and amount of water they go through. They said they try to get through 3 bottles per hour on the hot days. Yikes. That's like 15 water bottles over a long, hot stage.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
I'm 6'2" and 185, get told all of the time I'm "manorexic", but then Pro riders my hight are 165ish to 170. I could not imagine being that lite. Not only do I enjoy being able to reach peanut butter jars on the top shelf, but I like to be able to open them and eat too!
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-29-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
CIE- Yes us large guys roll downhill fast, thats the way we catch up to the climbers!!!!

I talked with Cadel Evans and George Hincapie in the elevator and although George is tall about 6'3" it looked like i could snap him in half . Both were very approachable and were very responsive to some small talk . It was kind of cool how much the teams travel with. They have their Decked out Travel Bus, Their deck out Bike/mechanic/storage bus, at least 6 team cars and then a Transport van. All of this decked out in the team sponsor stuff. I have some pics Ill post next week when I get back home.