Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-25-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
For the nutrition experts how bad is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on low fat white wheat bread? To explain I’m addicted to
Peanut butter LOL. I have to eat it ever day for breakfast or my day is ruined(some smoke, some drink coffee) me I have to eat a sandwich to start my day off right. I have done it since I was a kid and in my life I might have only missed maybe 30 days of not eat some kind of peanut butter. So now I’m on my last two week of P90 and was wondering how bad or good my breakfast is. I have seen good results with p90 even though I haven’t done it ever day but I have suck to all the lifting days. My goal wasn’t to drop wait since I’m only 160 and I’m really seeing a difference in my stomach. How much would it help me to cut back on peanut butter?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-25-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
Bye the way it has to be JIF
Old     (jerasu98)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-25-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
I would like to hear about this. My wife and I go back and forth about the nutrition of peanut butter. I say no good no matter how much and she says good.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-25-2010, 11:47 AM Reply   
Do a quick search and you can find the answers you seek. Here are two short articles one about body building and peanut butter:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/other31.htm

and another about peanut butter's saturated fat content:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Heart_Letter/2009/July/Ask-the-doctor-Why-is-peanut-butter-healthy-if-it-has-saturated-fat

Like everything, in moderation peanut butter is very healthy for you. I'm not sure of what exactly your asking about cutting back on peanut butter.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-25-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
I just wasn't sure if eating it was health every day. It a big joke between my friend about how much I love pb&j. My fiance thinks I have something wrong with me. I bet I eat 10 sandwich's or more in a week period.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-25-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
What exactly are you concerned with in the P&j?? Is it the fat?

Fat isn't the problem that people think it is. People are fatter than ever, and eating less fat than ever. The problem today is processed /manufactured foods and high sugar foods.

The problem in the P and J is th sugar content, and the white flower bread. It's a high calorie snack, in-part because of the sugar-spiked jelly.

I too am a P&J addict. Just had one at my desk. I use sprouted wheat bread, organic peanut butter, and no sugar added fruit spread, or just a banana.

For breakfast or an in between snack, you should be fine. If you're counting calories and trying to loose weight I would probably avoid them.

My nutritional mentors preach the advantages of Almond butter, but the taste is just not as good for me.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-25-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
I don't think it's the manufactured foods as much as it is just lazy people! If we were an active society, then nutrution wouldn't be near as big of a deal. Sitting at a desk 10 hours a day and then going home and sitting on the couch to watch TV all night will make you fat above any bad diet decisions.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-25-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
my addiction is PB&J toasted English Muffins. I eat the wheat ones and I eat at least 4 a week. I'm 165 lbs and as fit as a 30 yr old can be. So I'd say eat on friend and just get your cardio in!
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-25-2010, 1:43 PM Reply   
"I use sprouted wheat bread, organic peanut butter, and no sugar added fruit spread, or just a banana." Damn what a way to wreck a good PBandJ. :-)
I eat them EVERYDAY for lunch. By 11:30 everyday im jonesin! Whole wheat bread, Skippy chunky style and the cheapest sugar filled jelly i can buy. I tried natural PB but its just not the same for me. For mid/late evening snack its a flour tortilla on the stove top flame and Skippy. I have weighed the same 155 for about 20 years.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-25-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
I think I weighed 160 when I was in eighth grade

I think the PB&J is treatin u right

(Message edited by wake1823 on February 25, 2010)
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-25-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
PB lover here! Knife, honey, raspberry jam, and a full jar...life is good. What about when the honey crystalizes on the bread just a bit?? Oh damn that's good!!

Man, you're working hard at P90 so I'd say reward and go with it unless you can live with the crappy feeling of not having PB everday. I guess it all matters how good you want to look. I spent a couple springs counting carbs and all that jazz but quality of life is important too. I'm much happier eating what I want within reason and working out extra than vice versa.

I'm craving PB now.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-25-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
I love my PB&B ( banana). Sometimes I'll have them for breakfest.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-25-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
I love the almond butter I get from trader joes. it took me about three sandwiches to get used to, but I prefer it over regular pb now. my vice is almond butter with whole wheat bread and honey. only about 3-5 a week though. not as bad as some of you guys.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-25-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
I would think P90 would tell you how much PB your body needs to the milligram...does it not?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-25-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
PBHB.

Peanut butter honey and banana, on fresh whole wheat. Good stuff.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-25-2010, 3:51 PM Reply   
If you have access to a Trader Joes, try the Valencia Peanut Butter with Flax Seed. YUM!!

Actually Darrel that just taste better to me. White bread just tastes gnarley. Knowing the details about processed white flour foods...some of it is probably in my head.

You're right eubanks, but, food has changed more in the last 50 years than in the previous 500+. Everything contains unatural ingredients these days, and they lack the good nutrients.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-25-2010, 4:19 PM Reply   
I'll have to check out the valencia peanut butter with flax seed.
PBHB is one of my faves, but my daughter scarfs all the bananas down before they get ripe enough for me to eat them!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-25-2010, 4:27 PM Reply   
Please tell me all of you PB&J fans are drinking a nice cold glass of milk with those. There is almost nothing better than a good PB&J on cheap white bread with a glass of milk.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-25-2010, 6:18 PM Reply   
Well I punch the crap out of some air tonight doing Kempo. Drank a protein shake and after all this talk of peanut butter treated my self to a nice PB&J with a talk glass of skim milk.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-25-2010, 6:26 PM Reply   
i get the organic peanut butter from Costco, its good only roasted peanuts and sea salt. Also you might want to try going to gluten free bread. i have getting some from a local health food store. its worth a shot.