Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-05-2005, 10:38 AM Reply   
Does anyone have any info on Scott for me, or know where to get some? I have to do a research project on an influentiial person in the 1900's and I figure who better? Thanks
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-05-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
Have you seen Retrospect yet? It is a good start.
Old    xtremebordgurl            04-05-2005, 10:52 AM Reply   
Retrospect will prolly give you enough info for the majority of your project. Defenitly worth picking up if you haven't yet.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-05-2005, 11:08 AM Reply   
just get retrospect and turn it into ure project, problem solved
any other information you find on him is probably not worth putting in, otherwise it would be in retrospect!!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-05-2005, 12:15 PM Reply   
Retrospect
Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-05-2005, 2:52 PM Reply   
sounds like i should get retrospect, thanks alot guys
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-05-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
apart from ure project, every wakeboard should have it!!!!!!!!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-05-2005, 4:17 PM Reply   
From what I've seen on this website, I'd say talk to electricsnow!
Old     (jimmyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-06-2005, 6:30 AM Reply   
An Influential person in their own area of industry/sport/profession living in the 1900's, or Influential on(in) the 1900's???

I know Byerly's a legend and all, but...
Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-06-2005, 7:31 AM Reply   
An influential person in their own industry, any athlete really works, I already talked to my teacher about she says its fine
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-06-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
Ahh, from what I've seen (and haven't been corrected on), if you want to know about DIY extended pylons in the name of fun, talk to brian hanley. :-) (december 1995??)
Old     (patoloco)      Join Date: May 2002       04-06-2005, 11:51 AM Reply   
All of the advice above...but if you want to give it that extra tweak, see if you can get him an e-mail with something he can answer really QUICK so you can directly quote him in your paper.

I'm not sure if thats something he would reply to, but I met him down at the Projects last year and he seams like a really approachable and nice guy, so it may be worth a shot.

No, I don't know his e-mail, but maybe someone here does.
Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-06-2005, 3:02 PM Reply   
That'd be GREAT if I could get a direct woute from him. Anyone know his email?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-06-2005, 3:19 PM Reply   
http://www.theprojectspark.com/docs/Contact.htm
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-06-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
I meant to write back on that other thread, but things were too hot and heated on that post. But, yes Snow, that was me rocking the homemade pylon in that old mag.

I found that cool, yet somewhat disturbing, that you pulled that out of the woodwork almost 10 years later. I thought I was on top of combing Wakeboard Mag back in the day. You blow me away.

Keep up the good work. Brian
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-06-2005, 10:21 PM Reply   
ahh...I was young when I had those, so I've had plenty of time to peruse them and...memorize them (but that's just between the two of us...or is it?)

And the cool thing is that jeff barton has his riding pic in the back of that same mag. I thought i'd drop that since he frequents the site...

I still love to look through all of the old issues...1993-1996, mostly..

Seriously, it's kind of cool to see letters that were written from 1995 or whatever, and then find out that these people are still riding, or are still on the water. I won't mention any names, but one guy that had a pic in the rider's photos section in the mag (doing a nose grab on an old wake tech) is into wakeskating. and another guy that wrote a letter and was in an article made a video about the south a couple of years ago.

And dave williams, if you're reading this, did you write an article about lake powell for the april 1998 issue? "Amature hour: Riding powell on your own. By david willams."

So, I wish i had some sort of "joe Di Vola" joke...you know,he's the stalker guy from "seinfeld."

Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-07-2005, 7:46 AM Reply   
So I should just send a email to theprojectscamp@aol.com and put "To Scott" as the subject and ask a simple question?

Thanks for all the help guys
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-07-2005, 11:11 AM Reply   
1) Search on google for anything related to Scott Byerly; Here's a good start:
http://www.wakeworld.com/interviews/2004/byerly1.asp
2) Then watch "Retrospect"
3) Now compile a list of questions that were not answered by your internet research/watching the video
4) Send an email with those questions to the email above.
5) If you don't get a response in 2-3 days. Call the phone number to follow up.

Do as much research possible before even contacting Scott (email or phone). You might end up emailing/talking to him directly and you don't want to blow your one chance interacting with a legend!!

Let us know how it goes!
Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-08-2005, 4:57 AM Reply   
That should work, the project is due April, 29. So if this threads still up I'll definitely let you guys know what grade I got.
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-08-2005, 9:31 AM Reply   
Wannagowakin: I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here and recommend not doing a school project (especially one worth a lot of credit) on wakeboarding. Here's my reasoning.

1.) If you're teacher has never heard of wakeboarding, you're already starting in the hole. This sport may not interest him/her one bit, and although it shouldn't, this could affect how they grade your project.

2.) Is there actual evidence that Scott Byerly influenced wakeboarding. I think you need to keep in mind that a WakeWorld discussion forum and wakeboarding DVD are not credible resources for a school project. These are very biased resources.

If you use an athlete, you should be able to prove how they actually influence people (good or bad). Take Lance Armstrong for example. The man has won 6 Tour de Frances, and because of this he has been able to start the Lance Armstrong foundation. He has sold miliions and millions of yellow arm bands that all proceeds go to cancer research. He single handidly made the Tour de France popular.

So as much as you probably love wakeboarding, and Scott Byerly has been a role model, I just don't think there will be enough interest or resources for you to use to actually prove that he was an influential person in the 1900's. Out of all the people that lived in those 100 years, I doubt Byerly would make the top 1000.

Just think, Adolf Hitler made Time Magazines man of the year.

Again, I'm not bashing Byerly in any way, and I think thats great that he's had an influence on you. I'm just speaking from past experiences where I tried to do such projects. (I was a runner in high school, so I attempted to use runner's here and there for projects). Good luck!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-08-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
Not to be a jerk, but I say go for it! I feel like one important aspect of writing is writing about a subject that interests you. If you're studying a topic that you're passionate about, you're bound to do much better than you would if you had a topic that was "so-so."

As for byerly influencing wakeboarding, you could cite past board designs w. wake tech and scott bouchard (maybe mention the flight, since he had to help jimmy by riding it). Or ORRR, cite the video "hit it" and how it's still probably the most groundbreaking video part to date. I reckon both of the scotts helped perfect three stage rocker lines and cupped rails (though I could be wrong on the cupped rail thing).

he was also one of the earlier dudes with a sweet, un-rigid, non-waterski background, which is now commonplace for today's riders. I'm not saying this is JUST Because of scott. but ask just almost anyone about scott's style and how it has influenced them and wakeboarding.

Sorry, I can't see the person's name who wants to do the report. What Ideas do you have, thus far for your report? Did you need any sources? I have a bunch of magazines and interviews and such, so if you PM me your e-mail address, I'm sure I could scan them and send them over to you sometime today.
Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-08-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
Electric Snow,

It'd be great if you could Scan some of that stuff form me, i have to have eight sources for the project, and i already do, but more is always better i'll PM you my address, the one in my profile is no good. Also, if you could tell me where you got them from It'd be great.

The reason I'm doing this on Scott is because it;s someone I think is cool, and I do right better about stuff I care about. My friend is doing his on steve prefontaine (tou guys probably dont know who he is) and neither does our teacher but shes still letting us do our projects on those guys.
Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-08-2005, 8:20 PM Reply   
PM'd you electricsnow
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-08-2005, 10:49 PM Reply   
Ohh, I know who pre is. I was a long distance runner in highschool, too:-) I swear, he's seriously like a running god for anyone that's serious about running.

Anyway, i received your PM and I'll scan them within the next day. I have four sources I've come up with off of the top of my head. I'll be sure to list the mag (both volume and issue) and the author.
Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-09-2005, 6:52 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding, is probably all that I enjoy more than basketball, soccer, and running in that order, pretty cool to know another wakeboarder thats into running
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-11-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
Hey, I just sent you those four articles. It ended up being a pretty large e-mail with the files, so let me know if you had any problems receiveing it. If you need anything else, just ask!
Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-11-2005, 4:32 PM Reply   
Didnt get it yet, if it's not here by tommorow I'd really appreciate it if you could try again
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-11-2005, 10:07 PM Reply   
Maybe it was too big. I'll start by sending one article at a time (right after I post this), and then you can let me know if you get them or not.

I also found another one that I'll send your way.
Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-12-2005, 7:46 AM Reply   
Thanks bro, I'm at school now, I'll check my email when I get home, I'm ordering Retrospect tonight, you guys din't know how much I appreciate this.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-12-2005, 8:06 AM Reply   
Cool. I guess we'll see how things go from here. And retrospect really is a great film.
Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-12-2005, 12:57 PM Reply   
I STILL haven't gotten them I'll PM you my email again
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-14-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
connor, have you received any of my e-mails yet? If not, just PM me your mailing address and I'll photo copy all of the interviews and mail them. I live in WI, so I think I'm just one state up from you. It should only take a couple of days for them to get down there.

For whatever reason, I've received your pm's, and the e-mails I"ve sent you have not been kicked back to me.
Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-14-2005, 12:52 PM Reply   
That's awsome you live in WI, done any riding yet? Well anyways, dont worry about the articles, I've been able too find plenty of stuff, lots of articles, I have enough for most my project already, and I haven't even seen Retrospect yet so I should be good, thanks alot though, you've helped alot, maybe we'll see ya at MWWF05 this year
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-15-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
Nope, I haven't done any riding yet (not until the end of april) but I will be snowboarding this weekend;)
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-19-2005, 8:31 PM Reply   
Scott influentially smokes a lot of weed that I know if that helps lol