Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-21-2010, 8:09 PM Reply   
Had a shop tell me to trailer the boat (driving down the road) with the tower up. I'd rather not, keeping it down keeps the bugs off of it and makes it so I can just back it into the garage without having to get outta the truck again at home.

Why would it be necessary to trailer the boat with the tower up?
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-21-2010, 8:16 PM Reply   
No idea, we trailer it both ways, depending on the conditions and how far we're towing, but it def tows easier with it down
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-21-2010, 9:40 PM Reply   
I do down all the time. For the 20 minute drive to the lake, no. But for anything longer, like 2-3 hours, absolutely. Saves 1 MPG on the gas mileage and keeps the bimini/speakers clean.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-22-2010, 5:59 AM Reply   
I would think it would be better to tow with the tower down (depending on how it was seated for tow). I'm sure most of us have seen boats going down the road with the tower swaying from side to side. I feel that is added stress to both the tower and the boat that is un-needed. A plus is just as you and the others have stated it keeps everything clean.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-22-2010, 6:26 AM Reply   
I would be sure to tie it down then to make sure it's not bumping up and down on the gel or windshield.

I always tow with mine up no matter what distance. If you are going a long ways, cover the tower with saran wrap.

(Message edited by wakereviews on February 22, 2010)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-22-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
Always up. Potholes are similar to rollers, you want to take one on with your tower half anchored?
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-22-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
I would say it depends on what the tower rests on with it down. If it rests on the windshield, like a Titan, bad idea to tow with it down. If it rests on the sides of the boat, and you can pad it, and tie it down, probably not a big deal.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-22-2010, 7:44 AM Reply   
I have a sanger v215 with proflight chubby. Sits on rear seat when folded down. Doesn't seem like there would be any addtl wear and tear running with it down...
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-22-2010, 7:46 AM Reply   
Ours folds forward and sits on the gelcoat that surrounds the bow seating. We always tow it with the tower up to prevent cracks.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-22-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
So padding it, strapping it down, and risking gelcoat/upholstery damage, and having the tower not in it's most stable position all to keep it clean and save gas mileage?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-22-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
I can't believe all you that tow with the tower down. You people are crazy. Like A-dub said, keep it in it's most stable position. If you are going to tow with it down you better tie it down so it doesn't bounce or it is going to do more damage than towing with it up.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-22-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Ours folds to the rear (original Tige tower) and rests on the gel between the back seats and the engine/lockers. It has pads on it already, so that's not an issue, we use a simple bungee strap to secure it to the ski-pylon. Never had issues. And with that tower, it's probably more stable down than up - it sways like crazy sometimes, but that's how that tower worked.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-22-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
Mine rests on the rear seat area. I take the cushion off and tie a bumper to tower so it rests on the carpeted cover for the v-drive. That's it. It bounces a bit on the bumper but I've towed 3-4,000 miles this way with no issues, no bugs & better mileage.

I think it all just depends on where your tower rests. If mine was against gel coat I might have a different take on this. With my V-210 I'll consider myself lucky.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       02-22-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
Wow. I never saw anybody tow with the tower down. The boat and tower take a much bigger pounding on the water then it ever will on a road. The tower is so easy to clean - why worry? It is not like it stays perfectly clean when you are driving on the water either. Maybe we should put the tower down when we use it on the water to keep it clean. Heck, maybe we should take our towers off the boat and leave them in the garage all season so they stay clean and mechanically sound.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       02-22-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
Up! It completely affects the rigidy and strength of the mounts, boat and tower. If it sways or bounces when it is down, there can be way more damage than you would think.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-22-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
When you're out wakeboarding, you don't go through a pile of bugs going 70 mph. I tow with mine down for the hour drive to our lakehouse all the time. No bugs, better gas, and it doesn't hit the trees going down our road and knock leaves, moss, branches in the boat. Also saves from the racks and tow point light front being ripped off. We've got an '04 X2 and it folds forward down onto the front grab rails. We wrap a thick shop towel around both sides and bungee them down. Shoot, I wouldn't do it, but I could probably not even bungee it down with the speakers being as heavy as they are and not even have a problem. The little time that it takes to do that makes it worth it.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-22-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
I agree that it should be up, just to save from further damage that may occur. But if you feel it will not cause any damage in the down position, its your boat!
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-22-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
LOL - WOW! Lots of interesting comments.

So, like Andy G, mine rests on the back seat, doesnt touch fiberglass or gel coat and doesnt seem to structurally effect the boat while on the trailer, even regarding hull flex. The two rearward mounts are still intact (rotate on a ball joint), but the front two are disconnected and sit up in the wind while the tower is down.

So far, I see a wide range of opinions, but no technical reason that it is either a good idea or bad idea (unless touching gel coat, etc).

All I am saying is that if it truly doesnt matter, I would prefer to trailer with the tower down. If it does matter, even a little bit, I am OK with leaving it up. Cleaning is not a big deal (a little deal), and getting out to put it down to back it into the garage - also a little deal.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-22-2010, 11:59 AM Reply   
I guess it all depends on your boat and what tower. You literally can not tow a lot of boats with the tower down, if you do you will have a broken windshield or severe fiberglass damage.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-22-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
I am still waiting for my damage to occur after 3&1/2 years of towing. If you think that towing with the tower down may cause damage because of what it rests against and/or how unstable it is, then it probably will. I'm amazed at the my-way-is-the-correct/only-way opinions expressed. To each his own - it's a free country.

I think the bottom line is, it works for some boats & towers and not for others.

(Message edited by ottog1979 on February 22, 2010)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-22-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
DW, you're right, opinions across the board.
It just doesn't make sense to me, and I guess I'll add "Did you trailer with the tower down" to potential buyer questions to ask.

I'd suggest taking a ride in the boat while trailering with the tower down. Also think of the vibrations and torsion on the attachments while they're not in their most stable position, and that's stuff you can't hear.

If the tower is swaying while just going 70mph down the road, I wouldn't want to pull any full grown person wakeboarding behind it.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-22-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
I guess it's either way according to Monster..

"• When towing your boat the MT2 can be in the up or folded position. If you tow with the tower up,
note the height of the tower and make sure you have overhead clearance. If you tow with the
tower down make sure you have pads where the tower touches the boat. Also, make sure that
there are no parts of the tower that will create a hazard when towing as mentioned in the folding
instructions. If the front legs are laying in the bow, please secure them with tie downs so that they
do not bounce around and harm the tower or boat, especially if they are on top of the cover."
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-22-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
I tow with the tower down. Less drag and less metal stress. I protect where it might touch from vibration and load. If I was only going occasionally and it was an hour or so I might leave it up.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-22-2010, 1:32 PM Reply   
So I'm curious, how many of you who tow with the tower down are actually tieing it down? Suppose there are any circumstances where you might hit a bump, or slam on the brakes and the tower might flip over (from back to front)?

I store mine down. And would have to pad the heck out of the back to be able to tow that way. Not to mention tie it down.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-22-2010, 1:43 PM Reply   
There's no way i'd tow with mine down. Besides the fact i couldn't if i wanted to due to tower design and speaker box the unattached legs could move all over the place actually placing more wear on joints imo.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-22-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
This might bring on some spirited advice, but when I tow with mine down it's not tied down. I just make sure the bumper cushion is tied firmly to the tower where it rests against the seat. A little bumping (more like jiggling) - no big deal. I don't think it ever comes off the seat surface and mine folds back so there's no chance of a bump big enough to have it go all the way up & over. I don't take speed bumps in parking lots at speed or drive dirt roads. It's just never been an issue and works for me fine.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       02-22-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
I was told by a Mastercraft Dealer that the tower should always be up when driving due to the structure not being as strong/rigid when down, but I do agree that some towers are made better and will work down better than up.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-22-2010, 2:31 PM Reply   
Bill, on mine the center of mass on my tower is below the pivot point so it would not move up under braking It rests on dense foam so that absorbs most jounce load from road bumps. I've had a small towel under part of it and that hasn't moved during seven hour tows. That gives me a good idea that the tower moves very little while towing.
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-22-2010, 2:43 PM Reply   
All these years going to and from many lakes on the west coast and I have yet to see anyone showing up or leaving with their tower down.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-22-2010, 4:21 PM Reply   
I hear that Scotty. And what a PITA if you have a lot of gear on your tower. Mine is heavy as he|| loaded with speakers & a bimini.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-22-2010, 4:23 PM Reply   
Sounds like it doesn't matter which way you leave it. Works either way from what I am reading.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-22-2010, 4:55 PM Reply   
If I'm going on a long trip which would be an hour or more, I'll put it down. Malibu has metal brackets to secure the Illusion in the down position. They work great. Took it on a 3.5 hour trip with no problems at all. Kept the tower pretty clean too.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-22-2010, 5:26 PM Reply   
Always leave it up, 5 mins too 5 hour trips
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-02-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
Am I the only one not able to read the last posts?
Old     (1niceharley)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-02-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
I can't read them either.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-02-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
towing with the tower down I guess "could" be okay depending on how it rests. but for the most part, especially with heavy speakers and such, I think towing with it up is a smarter idea. The tower is much stronger and stable in the up position.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-02-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
Well, mine states that it would be great for a dealer or manufacturer to chime in and update whether certain towers actually market towing with the tower down.