Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old    pointlessexpo            10-23-2005, 12:07 PM Reply   
Which has the fatter wake...
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-23-2005, 12:12 PM Reply   
im never actually ridden a vlx, only seen pictures.

I have ridden an xstar numerous times, and imo it needs a lot of extra rear weight. (too rampy does equal some fatty double ups though).

From the pics I have seen the vlx looks to have the nicer wake, but I am sure lots of others on here will have a more experienced opinion?

Arent xstars loaded still about ten grand more than vlx's loaded?

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-23-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
im going to have to say x-star..i think because i have one..
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-23-2005, 1:46 PM Reply   
The X-star is going ot end up costing more $. The wake on the VLX is epic, my personal favorite. Big, thick and incredibly smooth, it has a great lip on it too, not too vert. The adjustability of the VLX is incomparable. The X-Star is also a great wake, big & wide with tons of ups. I say its a hard line to draw but I would go for the VLX just cuz I like the feel of the boat more. Demo & have some fun with your boat shopping.
Old    tomvanwake            10-23-2005, 2:40 PM Reply   
vlx is the only way to go
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-23-2005, 3:49 PM Reply   
vlx...
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-23-2005, 4:17 PM Reply   
Ridden behind both boats and X-STAR has a fatter wake with a bigger pop.Both wakes have nice transition and are great wakes.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-23-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
I'm more of a Mastercraft fan than Malibu but in this situation I would choose the VLX over the X-star. I have ridden in and behind both and I would much rather have the VLX interior and wake (without the wedge).
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-23-2005, 5:39 PM Reply   
I asked my son (outlaw rider) who has rode behind both a lot this year. He said the X Star has the bigger wake. The 210 Team also ranks up at the top.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-23-2005, 6:58 PM Reply   
I recall reading an article either here or in a magazine, but they had all the guys who are running the big wakeboat companies, asking them about diffrent things. When asked about wake size, if it was all about wake size, people would be behind yahts, buts its not, the future of wakeboarding is going to be in wake shape. So given that I am going to say malibu vlx for the win, but make up your own mind, go ride some boats.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-23-2005, 7:03 PM Reply   
I am going to have to go with the VLX. great wake. I ride it with about 2600lbs of water and no wedge. The interior is top notch. Bolth are awesome boats tho. Maybe demo bolth of them if you have the chance and also, Base it on which dealer gives you the BEST SERVICE. There is nothing like buying a boat and knowing you have a reliable person, whom you can establish a relationship with, to take it to. If you buy a boat, and the dealer sucks, you will more times than not have a bad boat experience.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       10-23-2005, 7:30 PM Reply   
I went VLX for the firmness of the wake lip. It really throws you, both have size and good transition, but the VLX shape and feel is superior in this case.IMO.
You really have to demo both and choose what you like.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-23-2005, 7:33 PM Reply   
both are awesome boats.

with that said, i'd go with the vlx. big, solid wake, and you don't have to change your rope length only 'cause it's not 100 feet wide.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-23-2005, 7:56 PM Reply   
This is hard because your talking about a 20 k difference in price. The wake to me on the x-star is perfect, it has a very long transition and if weighted correctly will have a perfect crisp lip but is solid enough to where you wont bust through it. In my opinion if money is no object get the x-star. Check both out for sure
Old     (andrew_dyrhood)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-25-2005, 3:14 PM Reply   
I agree with Randy-The wake behind the 210 is incredible. The xstar and vlx both throw up great wakes. To choose a wake time and time again a 210 or 220 both have phenomenal wakes that i choose to ride behind everyday.
Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-25-2005, 11:47 PM Reply   
The new VLX is sick. It has alot better features the the X-Star. With there new spring loaded tower (You just pull the pins out and the tower will go down. instead of having to go thru the hassel of lifting it up and unscrewing the bolts than setting it down) and there hydrolic wedge (Which adds 1,000 more pounds of pressure only 3/4 down) Also there new dash which basically has awesome feature such as knowing your ride speed and how much weight you use. It also has the digital speed depth finder and lake/air temp in the same screen instead of having to flip back and forward on the screen.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-26-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
x star dont be a dumb.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-26-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
Andy you make it sound like the Malibu throws a wake of a rowboat or something. Both have killer wakes and as for the X-star....be more expensive.
Old    nething2blind            10-26-2005, 6:23 PM Reply   
I suggest the vlx w/ no wedge and add 2K more lbs of ballast. 1000 in the back 500 of lead under the seats and 500 more in the middle to the bow. PERFECT WAKE. (not a perfect gas bill) I ride them both all the time and I prefer the VLX with the weight over the X-Star. Its rampier!@