Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (reddig82)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-30-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
I have a 91 Sanger DX with 350 hours on it. It is powered by a Mercruiser Blue Water Inboard marine. I believe the trans to be a Velvet Drive 71C which I think would be 1:1 ratio. I was considering changing plugs and servicing trans at next required oil change. I was also wondering about the Electronic conversion kits to get rid of the whole points igniton system. Just curious if anyone was familiar with a setup like mine and might know anything about where to get info on the conversion kit and which one might be applicable. I am in Arkansas and do not have a Sanger dealer near me. Just thought someone on here might be able to help a bit. Even a source for a repair manual on the engine and trans would be nice. Thanks in advance.
Old    walt            05-30-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
My last boat was a 91 and I changed the distributor to electronic. It was the best thing I ever did to that boat. I think it was about 500.00 for the distributor.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-30-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
nice john post some pics thats low hours how does it look?
it really does not matter that its a sanger, you're dealing with a mercruiser and you probably do have a dealer closeby...they will look up parts using your motors serial number.

if you need anything that is particular to the sanger boat try www.topsidemarine.com they speak "sanger" and can ship
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-30-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
go to the junk yard & pick up a hei distributor from a truck or car. They only take one wire for power to work. no brainier and way cheaper than going with anything else.
Old     (reddig82)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-31-2007, 7:26 AM Reply   
Thanks all fo rthe info I guess an HEI dist. would work. I had not thought of that. I just know that they make the kits that drop in the current distributor and mount to the base plate. Just have not been able to find one. Andy the boat is in good shape (Atleast I think) for its age. I am thrilled with it I just got my boom amand suit and am going to start trying to get the hang of barefooting. I like your boat as well. I am assuming it has the scorpion motor package. Looks like the did not change a whole lot on DX through the years. Mine runs smooth and strong. I was just told by several people that the points would eventually become bothersome and it would be a good upgrade. Here are a few pics of her. Oh and I am open to any footin tips you might have for a beginner. Thanks again.
Old     (reddig82)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-31-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-31-2007, 8:11 AM Reply   
Nice John! Check my profile... I have a '90 and have been really happy so far. The points haven't been an issue and my mechanic said not to bother with it. However, if they do, I'll be changing them out. I'm really hoping to learn to barefoot this summer.
Old     (reddig82)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-31-2007, 8:27 AM Reply   
Nice setup with the tower and speakers. I am still running the extended pylon and will be for sometime. I feel it will take a while for my abilities on a wakeboard to justify a tower. I like the look of yours though. I have been very pleased with my boat thus far. I also like that there are not hardly any other Sangers around here in Arkansas. Everyone that sees it seems to think it is knockoff brand of a Nautique or Mastercraft. I finally got tired of telling the "Sanger Story" and just let the boat and its performance speak for itself. Do you run any weight in yours? I have found the wake on mine to be rather good with just some friends and cooler in the back of the boat.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-31-2007, 9:01 AM Reply   
I run 100lbs lead under the rear seats, 150 in the bow and a 440 sack on each side of the engine. It throws a real nice wake. Last weekend I went without the bags and five people in the boat. I couldn't tell much difference when compared to having the bags. I think at a certain point, it's just sinking and not really adding any benefit. The one thing I really notice when compared to similar boats is you don't have to continuously move people and weight around.
I hear ya on the compliments. Sanger makes a good boat.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-31-2007, 6:18 PM Reply   
hey john
the guy that owns topside has an 86 sanger tx, its the big brother to yours but with i/o, color matched to your boat!, i'll try to post.
Mine is a DXII and has the "Super" Scorpion 377, its balanced, blueprinted, its made by Mercury Racing, full of high performance parts, 377 horsepower and 400lbs torque. will tow any size barefooter 0 to 50-51 mph with 5 in the boat

ask away on barefoot tips????

fatsac,
ever go out by orwood?
you're welcome to come out with us to learn
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-31-2007, 6:30 PM Reply   
i remember seeing your boat here before...heres my friends TX
here it is and an outboard barefooter,
the background is the sacramento deepwater ship channel those whales went up to west sac in...
Upload
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-31-2007, 6:35 PM Reply   
I really wouldn't worry about the points ignition unless your experiencing problems. My brother-in-law has an '89 DX with almost 700 hours on it and not one problem to speak of. Check it out ...

Upload
Old     (reddig82)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-01-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys I love getting a chance to see some other Sangers like mine. There is what looks to be a DX with an outboard setup on ebay. Have any of you guys seen it? The motor apparently has some problem but the hull and interior are all in real good shape. It was really cheap last I saw. I will see if I can find the listing again and post it up. I think I will leave the points alone till they give me problems as you guys suggested. I just bought a Hummingbird HDR depth sounder for the boat. I think I am going to put it where the hour meter is and mount the hour meter up under the dash out of sight. Anyone done this before or have any suggestions. I am using the puck transducer that will shoot through the hull I was just wondering about the Keel offset and how any of you guys got yours setup if you have the same one.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-01-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
I love all these old school thug passion Sangers. I recently purchased a new one and am passionate about them and seeing these really nice older boats is very encouraging. My previous boat was a 94 MB Sport that was in good shape so I still have a soft spot for old ski boats.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-01-2007, 9:07 PM Reply   
not really old school, but by todays standards, kinda retro
Upload
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-02-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
great photo, and you can slide right in!