Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-21-2007, 7:32 PM Reply   
and it's pissing me off, even on simple W2W jumps I keep dropping the handle. I do it probably 9 times out of 10. I can shake this, any suggestions? I even made my first attempt at a Tantrum this weekend and as soon as I left the wake, the handle went flying.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-21-2007, 7:40 PM Reply   
Are you holding on with both hands? Are you dropping it 'after' you land or in the air? I have done the same thing with tantrums or 360s...I end up chucking the handle as I attempt to initiate rotation...but if you're dropping it on a W2W, that's another problem IMO. I'll bet its getting pulled 'out' away from your body...as you cut in to the wake, keep that handle close to your lead hip, that way if you get 'stretched' out in the air, you still have some play to avoid having to 'pop' the handle.

Oh yeah, if you land without the handle you have to either:
1. Do the Robot
2. Ride the Pony
3. Do the Stripper
Old    alanp            05-21-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
why in the world are you pissed? sac up, find another sport, or just dont complain. handle droppers annoy the piss out of me.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-21-2007, 8:01 PM Reply   
you've got a horrible case of vaginitis.

Are you dropping because you think you're going to crash harder by holding on? Try considering this fact. Letting go or loosing the handle during a trick is far more dangerous. Especially when flipping or spinning where the handle is used to control rotation and get you all the way around.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-21-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
i hate when i get a case of vaginitis... screws up my whole day...
Old    mendo247            05-21-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
its in your head now...

sometimes it helps to take a little break and just free ride (slash n slide) for a set or 2 and just have fun and not think about what your trying to do or not do..

Remember this is FUN!!!!!!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-21-2007, 10:35 PM Reply   
I hope your doing the robot. If not give yourself an uppercut.
Old     (abhoe157)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-21-2007, 10:42 PM Reply   
Mentally : go out and just goof around for a set or two.. the fashion air is a great way to relieve some stress and show everyone you dont take yourself super serious.. also bust out the robot.

Technically: look at your mechanics, keep the handle tight to your hip and think about holding on
Old     (soulrider911)      Join Date: May 2006       05-21-2007, 11:08 PM Reply   
committment is a major issue with a lot of people...in order to commit...you know if you fall it might hurt right...so people try to "eek" their way over the wake. BUT...if you commit and you focus you WILL make it 9 out of 10 times...its all about keeping the rope tight...im sure you have heard it before...but people fail to mention the most important part of your cut is at the wake!...the handle needs to be closest to your body up and off the wake...then its ok to let a litle slack out ON THE WAY DOWN...but never let your arms out until you are decending...you do this you will survive.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-21-2007, 11:20 PM Reply   
Hey Shane, if it helps I am the biggest handle dropper of all! My plan is not to be the worst boarder on wakeworld at the end of this summer! At least you are trying to do a tantrum dude. Brady, that is a good tip. Brodie gave me the same tip and it helped a lot. I only dropped the handle half as much. I have the worst case as J-rod calls it "Vaginasitus" but I am going to change all that this summer!
Old     (jhertz27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-22-2007, 5:32 AM Reply   
super glue or duct tape!
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-22-2007, 5:54 AM Reply   
You should be a pretty good Robot dancer then.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2007, 6:20 AM Reply   
Just hold on to the handle Sally.
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-22-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
its just one of those thing where you have to say screw it and do it. Theres a couple of things I like to do on a skateboard to overcome this (I'm not that good at wakeboarding so i have to compare it with skateboarding), One thing is, just try to look as cool as possible and throw down as much style as possible, that helps in two ways, one it makes you think more about looking cool than whether or not your gonna let go of the rope, which you will if you think about it, and second, when you imitate style, your imitating correct technique at the same time, cuz style is just correct technique with a little somethin thrown on. If that doesn't work then try tricking yourself by only thinking about how the handle feels in your hands the entire time your in the air, or concentrate solely on something else untill you get this problem fixed
Old    stillstandin            05-22-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
I agree with Coop....just go out there and have fun, stop thinking about it. Ive seen several people in my crew go through this, all get frustrated, and forget why they are there to begin with...
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-22-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
i guess i dont get why you would throw a tantrum when you are popping the handle on a wake jump? this is definitely how injuries happen.

also, keep your hips in, you might be getting pulled over your front foot and "letting" go cause the handle is difficult to hang onto
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-22-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
Don't think too much! Just have fun!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-22-2007, 10:00 AM Reply   
hey it could be worse, the only time i pop the handle is on raley attempts.....
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-22-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
It's not the form, I'm pulling the handle down to my waist as I'm leaving the wake. I get good pop and land perfectly every time, just without the handle. It just a mental block that I can't shake. I'm having fun and all but I like to push myself. I get pissed because I'm holding myself back by doing this. I guess I just have to keep going for it and focus on something different when I'm riding.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-22-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
as jrod mentioned, your vag is inflamed. You should think about grabbing with your back hand. or something. hell i don't know, just stop dropping it.

The thing with the robot is you need some control measures. if your vag is acting up and you drop it, get your ass in the boat. The rule is: you drop it, no robot, you get in the boat. You drop it twice, robot or not, get in the boat.

Doing a stupid ass dance from the eighties, doesn't make you a better rider. Sitting there watching your friends and crew rip while you treat your vag condition will, Alice.