Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-16-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
I have been working on switch toe side latey but can't seem to correct this feeling of "drag" as I try to edge harder. It feels like by board or binding is dragging along taking speed away. My buddy feels the exact same thing. We think it might be because we don't have enough weight on the front front...? Is it that, our approach angle, body position? Who has felt this and what was the fix?

-Uj
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-16-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
I feel it, and attribute it to not being comfortable/that good at switch toeside
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-16-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
Yeah same here. I have it to. Just have to work on it. Get to a cable and practice
Old    SamIngram            08-16-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
I just learned switch toeside and found that the easiest way to learn for me was to shorten the rope all the way to 55'. I learned on an old school SAN. At 55' you can just charge the wake as hard as you can until you get the form and muscle memory down.

This weekend I just got my Switch TS Backroll down...

Everyone makes fun of the short line stuff, but it's so easy to learn stuff its silly! I learned how land blind, raley, s-bend, and scarecrow all at 55' and 21 mph. Of course now I do them at 75'.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-16-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
We have been doing short line, lower speed etc... believer here for sure... but what is causing the drag I feel...
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-16-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
Try really focusing on leaning down the line rather than into the wake. This helped me fix mine, that and bending my front knee (to force weight over the front foot).
Old    SamIngram            08-16-2010, 4:20 PM Reply   
Exactly! When I started bending the front knee AND taking more of a progressive cut into the wake is when I started to really figure out switch TS. I'm actually more comfortable with switch TS than just regular old TS.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-16-2010, 9:33 PM Reply   
I struggle with switch toe as well... and have a similar problem when I'm trying to ollie switch. Feels like the board is stuck to the water... like it's got suction cups holding it down and won't break free. Don't know if the two are related.
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-17-2010, 12:45 AM Reply   
Same here Uj, I have been trying hard to get switch toeside the last week or so but I feel like my back boot is dragging. I had a few good ones where I felt like I was leaning against the line alot and crouched down a bit, but I'll have to play with it next time to see if that is how I did it.. You looked like you had it at the river a few months ago. You were only like a half boards-length away lol
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-17-2010, 5:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmx View Post
Try really focusing on leaning down the line rather than into the wake. This helped me fix mine, that and bending my front knee (to force weight over the front foot).
that makes the most sense, never thought how bad I was leaning into the wake to get there, rather than edging normal
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-17-2010, 6:28 AM Reply   
I get the same feeling if I am riding a smaller board. I rode a 137 for a couple sets this year and the drag on the toeside edge kicked me a few times. For some reason I can go W2W easier on toeside switch than toe regular?! Oh well.....
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-17-2010, 6:41 AM Reply   
Easy fix-too much weight on your front foot. Put more on your back foot and youll be golden. Used to happen to me on regular TS and I see lots of people that I coach do it. Put more weight on your back foot and lean as hard as you want.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-17-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
It seems like this is common issue.

So, I am getting two fixes from the thread... opposite of each other... One says more weight on the front foor and one says more on the back foot! Hmmm.... I will ride Wed and see which helps more. I have been trying to put more weight on the front foot but that never did seem to help.

Thx.

-Uj
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2010, 10:31 AM Reply   
Take a pic and look at your body position. One pic regular toeside, one pic switch. I bet it becomes obvious pretty quickly.
Old     (swagg)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-17-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
i see this alot with people im trying to teach toe side w2w for there first time and the biggiest thing is there not standing tall when cutting into the wake.
they are to bend over at the waist and pushing there knees out to try and pop off the wake that there back boot drags in the water.
another problem i found i had learning my switch toe w2w is the top lace zone of my boot was not tight enough so when i cut in the top of my boot caught in the water.