Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-13-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
This past season I progressed and learned a few new tricks and had a blast. I also suffered a few injuries at the end of the season. So, my question is how soon (do you guys over 30) into the new season do you wait before you start trying new tricks or going bigger than normal. I am really looking forward to the new season and would hate to suffer an injury right off the bat and be suffering through the summer.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-13-2007, 7:44 PM Reply   
I thought about this last year quite a bit, but when it comes down to it, your only gonna hurt yourself if you go into learning a trick thinking you might get hurt. With that said, I like to wait until August to go balls to the wall
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-13-2007, 8:01 PM Reply   
Having suffered my first major injury this past summer.(broken Jaw) It took me two weeks after returning to the water to try the trick I got hurt on but right away I was trying new stuff. Mentally I had never gotten hurt doing new tricks.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-13-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
I don't care time of year, but I try not to do something I have no chance in landing or business trying.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-13-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   

quote:

So, my question is how soon (do you guys over 30) into the new season do you wait before you start trying new tricks or going bigger than normal.

when you've got fundamentals down.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-13-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
Good to have you back Joe
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-13-2007, 9:00 PM Reply   
what are you talking about randy? i never left!
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-13-2007, 9:19 PM Reply   
definitely wait until the weather and water are good and warm. when the water is cold, you are so much more prone to injury. no new tricks for me until i am out of my wet suit.
Old    kidrik            12-13-2007, 9:22 PM Reply   
Dood....you're 29! Not that age is an issue, but I can only imagine the Shee-ot I'd have tried in my 20's or even early 30's.........(I started at 37)

I guess my point is, keeping in mind what Joe said....... just go for what you feel comfortable with! You could get hurt doing "anything" on a daily basis. The only reason I say this is because I've done exactly what you've said..........hold back, or wait till the end of a season to try something new, just to avoid the "possibility" of getting injured........... especially if you've had a significant injury prior to! (yes it would blow to be out all season, and you may feel regret......but the way I see it is, I only have so much time left, that I've decided to not hold back, and push forward while I can) But again, if we don't focus on what Joe said, we might possibly get what we asked for by trying sheet we're not ready for........

Sorry, I'm crafting the perfect buzz.....and may have had a moment....?
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-13-2007, 10:10 PM Reply   
I know exactly what you are talking about. Just don't wait too long!! I often spend the spring "knocking the rust off" and getting back to previous season form. Then I get busy in the summer with vacations and weddings and don't get much time on the water. Then I am knocking off the rust again. Then the season is over and I start all over again. It is an easy way to plateau. I would spend a couple of weeks getting your strong edging back and then start going for whatever tricks you want to go for.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-13-2007, 11:10 PM Reply   
Yes, fundamentals are number 1. Aside from that when you have ridden enough and gotten those wakeboarding muscles to the point where it feels natural. There is a dystinctive feeling in my riding where I get up and just feel solid and controlled. Typically this is around the mark where I can take a 30-45 min set no problem. Thats when I know I am in "wakeboard shape".
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-14-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
I think you can try new stuff as soon as you have the foundations down and your old bag pretty solid, not perfect, but solid. Also depends on what new stuff you are trying - new grabs or tweaks, 180s, fakie versions, TS versions, and taking what you know a little bit bigger, do that early in the season. Now for those bigger hurdles like hitting that first ralley (still haven't landed one myself), I wait further in the season.

Also do not wait until the end of your set to bust out new moves. Land a couple tricks you know how to do that are good foundations for what you want to learn and then try the new trick like the 4th or 5th trick in the set. Never a good thing to try something new when you are tired and at least for me, my courage tends to shrink the longer I'm out behind the boat. It is too easy to get yourself 'too warmed up' by waiting too long in the set.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-14-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
I agree, the longer I'm out behind the boat, the more my 'courage' shrinks too. Especially in the spring and fall when the water is cold.
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-14-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
I would wait for the water to warm up a little. Wear a wetsuit for padding... don't try something until you have the core basics for that trick down. Instead of trying something at the end of your session, when you are tired and really don't plan not to land it... Get your warm up run it. Think about it and go out with your buddies and just work on the trick you want to learn. I am 54 and hate to fall, learning new tricks suck... get someone in the boat that can push you and they are really stoked when you actually try your trick and listen to their instruction. Go out and have some fun... Aloha - Joe.