Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (boardridesurf)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-12-2008, 9:38 PM Reply   
I need new tires for my tandem trailer and the Marathon tires are $104 per tire (quote of about $440 for 4 balanced and mounted at Discount Tire). I can purchase Carlisles for about $270. Are the Carlisles better than a few years ago when everyone had problems with them. I think that Extreme Trailers still uses them and I cant see them using them is they were still crap.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old    Ben Kerran            06-12-2008, 9:44 PM Reply   
My last pair came with my trailer ( 06 ) and they were HORRIBLE. I would never buy another pair. My 2c
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-13-2008, 12:35 AM Reply   
have had Carlisles on our trailer for three years and no problems.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-13-2008, 6:13 AM Reply   
I just had my second Marathon blow out in 2 years. I only use the trailer about twice a year and the tires were from 2001. I was never a Carlisle fan due to past experiences but maybe the problem resides in the age of the tire. After five or six years they just need to be replaced especially if your doing any distance driving.
Old     (cla10beck)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-13-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
No issues for me after 3 years (knock on wood). I did however decide to go with the D load rating instead of the C load rating for piece of mind because I have a S/A.

IMO, take the $170 difference and get a spare and pocket the rest.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-13-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
blew out every single carlisle i ever had on my toyhauler! id never get those pos again, and their customer service is horrible!
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-13-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
I have an 06 as well and had my first blow out last weekend. I knew about the Carlisle's reputation(CRAPPY one) and figures I was on borrowed time after two seasons. I just replaced all 5 yesterday(including spare) with Maxxis trailer tires. They are great, had them on my last boat trailer and never had a problem. I paid $400 for all 5- 215/75/14.

BTW- My uncle just picked up a new Extreme trailer and they did not have Carlisle's,they are using some other brand that I cannot remember.

(Message edited by freshtracks on June 13, 2008)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-13-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
They just started selling Tow Masters at Costco, $80 each mounted. Not all Costco's, I think it's a trial thing. In NorCal the Livermore Costco is has them, not San Ramon, not San Mateo. Not sure where they have them in your state.
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-13-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
God I love WW. I just laugh and laugh!! Hysterical! "blew out every single carlisle i ever had on my toyhauler! id never get those pos again, and their customer service is horrible!"
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-13-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
I have goodyear marathons and have replaced all four over the last 2 years due to the original 02 tires all starting to crack, separate, and sometimes bubble. By keeping them inflated, wiped down with 404 protectant here and there, and keeping a watchful eye on them I have managed to avoid blowouts and replace them incrementally.

I would get the best rated, highest weight class tire I can find for around 100 bucks. The marathons work well for me and we probably trialer close to 2000 miles a year on highways at 65mph. At that speed I want the best tire I can get.

Seems like everyone is in agreement that these things have a 5 year lifespan for average towing. I found it best to replace before blowout.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-13-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
Check prices on Tirerack.com. Sometimes they are quite competitive.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-13-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
I think they're fine if you aren't towing at high speeds. My buddy has gone threw 3 or 4 of the newer ones but he thinks that he needs to tow his boat at 85 mph and they just can't take it.