Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-09-2013, 1:49 PM Reply   
So I went to drop my boat in for the first time this year. We are way late, but the lake was closed the previous two weekends due to flooding. As I always do to start the year, I let it run for a min on the trailer backed into the water just to make sure everything is ok. I could smell that something was hot, so I shut her down. I touched the manifold and it was fairly warm, so I pulled out the plug in the manifold. Bone dry. Pulled the boat out of the water and started taking out the water pump. What I found when I got the pump out was not good. There were two big cracks in the housing. When I took apart the housing, the impeller was toast I went back and fished out chunks of the impeller in the trans line and the line leading to the water pump itself. My concern is, what caused the cracked pump. I mainly ask because I'm in a cold climate. I always run antifreeze through the boat and then drain. While I feel iwould have noticed no antifreeze draining out of the manifold, block, etc, when I was winterizing, it's been since October, so I'm a little jumpy. My assumption is that I got the impeller dry while doing this. That being said, I worry that the cracking in the housing could have been from water sitting there all winter. Any thoughts? Could I fry the housing from the impeller running dry?

For what it's worth, the boat is an 01 Elite V.
Old     (robertstone9)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-09-2013, 2:00 PM Reply   
how cold was your winter?
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-09-2013, 2:32 PM Reply   
Is it a plastic housing pump or bronze housing pump?
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-09-2013, 3:55 PM Reply   
Plastic. I'm in Illinois. It was a warmer than usual winter, but it's still plenty cold to freeze.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-09-2013, 6:32 PM Reply   
Happens all the time. No worries replace it and get on the water!
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-10-2013, 10:17 AM Reply   
So I took a few deep breaths and am feeling better about it. It's just been a long time since October. I know I had antifreeze coming out the exhaust when I was winterizing, so I'm feeling a little better. Just have never seen a part fail quite like that housing did. I'll order a new housing tonight.