Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-13-2013, 9:01 AM Reply   
I recently picked up a Go Pro 2. I see there are two different types of floaties. One that mounts to the back of the housing and one called the Bobber. Any suggestions on which one is better for wakesurfing?
Old     (broski)      Join Date: Nov 2011       05-13-2013, 10:42 AM Reply   
I have the GoPro 3 and the float that attaches to the back of the housing. I have heard that too much side to side jerk could POSSIBLY cause the mount brackets on the bottom of the camera to break. I would rather have the float on the actual camera itself just in case. There if the brackets do possibly break, the camera will still float. I would much rather buy a new housing for 30$ than a new 400$ camera.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-13-2013, 11:08 AM Reply   
the orange floaty on the gopro 2 will only float the camera and housing. if you have a mount attached or even part of a broken mount attached, it may sink.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-13-2013, 12:32 PM Reply   
One concern with the GoPro float is that it can come off in a crash. At surf speeds you're looking for that's not likely a problem, however. The float is attached to the rear door with a sticky mount and in a wakeboard sped crash, the water can detach the float from the camera housing. This happened to me, but luckily I had a secondary attachment and wasn't relying on the float alone, otherwise my camera would have beat the bottom of the lake. After that I bought a tube of aqua seal glue and ran a bead around the float and the read door. I'm also much more careful to use a leash and consider the float only a backup plan, not the primary method of saving my camera.
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-13-2013, 4:03 PM Reply   
All your comments are really helpful. I just ordered a leash and will get the floaty with the aqua seal. Thanks
Old     (seaatt)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-21-2013, 2:59 AM Reply   
The floaty is really nice tool when you go surfing.

http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Adhesiv...aty+mochalight

But take careful, it will get weaker in long-term usage.
Old     (Rad_Matty_D)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-29-2013, 11:56 AM Reply   
I have both the bobber and the back door. Personally, I like the bobber better. It acts as a handle and it comes with a wrist strap. When I go in the ocean to surf or snorkel or whatever, I usually use both the bobber and the floaty backdoor.

The Bobber floats my gopro hero2 with a battery bacpac too.