Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-02-2010, 11:36 AM Reply   
so i cant find the old post anywhere so how do you weight your VLX? i have an 07 and looking to redo my weighting because the wake just seems to weak/ soft.

we run
450's in each trunk
650 bag and 250 bag in nose
full stock minus nose tank
full wedge.

the boat needs more
any suggestions?
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-02-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
I dont run as much ballast as you, but as a fellow VLX rider I feel like I may be able to provide some useful input.

Do you have the front stock tank? If so, why arent you using it? Adding weight in the front helps to firm it up usually (if you think its too soft). Assuming you have the front tank, maybe try using the same setup, but move the 250# sack to the center walk through and fill the nose hard tank. Thatll add 350 lbs while keeping the boat near the same front to back, just adding a little to the nose, which will help wake firmness.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-02-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
I agree with LFadam. VLX's need nose weight, this is why your wake feels soft. Rear weight will create that lippy shape (I assume you want), but the nose weight will give it the mass you NEED in a wake. I always think of it like this: with rear weigth the boat is just dragging the ass end of the boat through the water. With the nose weighted its actually PUSHING the hull through the water creating a bigger footprint and more meaty wake.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-02-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
yeah i dont have the nose tank. i know its tragic but i am thinking about purchasing a 1000#bag for the nose and running 2 -750# in each trunk.
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-02-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
I would agree totally. Adding weight to the bow is a must.
We fill the bow tank 100% and also have another 700 lbs of lead from the drivers seat forward.
The only downsize to weighting the bow so heavily with the wedge adding the balance to the stern is when you come down the bow tends to want to dive.
Less wedge and more weight in the stern would be a better choice if you are going to load up the bow.
Old     (tinytim)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-02-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
This is good infoto know. I just recently purchased a 04 VLX with out any front ballast in it. But now I will definitely add some.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-02-2010, 3:13 PM Reply   
tinytim, these guys are talking about an 07 VLX, it is a completely different boat than your 04. Still a great wake but just different (& much easier to weigh down).

Michael if I were you I'd get that 1,000 pounder in the bow and put your 650 on the floor. Fill it all up and you would be good to go.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-02-2010, 3:26 PM Reply   
stephan,

i understand what your saying but im looking to add more than 1650lbs, i like the wake but i usually ride a slammed 210 (at least 3000# in that boat at all times), so more in that wake
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-02-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
For the record I am talking about my personal boat (00vlx) and the current V-ride (older VLX hull I believe).
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-02-2010, 5:11 PM Reply   
micheal, first off your gonna have to reprop to push that weight, like i said in the other thread just go with a 1235 a dont look back.
start here,
assuming you have a wedge, run it all the way down.
since you dont have a bow tank, but im sure you have mls and the 2 rears, put the 750 in the walkway all the way forward and fill the stock tanks and mls. then put that 250 right behind the 750 in the walk way.
put 2 450's on the floor up against the back seat.

report back after this. this will make the wake very firm, thick and you will feel the punch of it. if you feel it needs more. than keep adding smaller amounts to forward cockpit area.

remember if you use the wedge correctly your subbing it for weight. trust me it works.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-02-2010, 6:57 PM Reply   
im not trying to be difficult i just wanted to keep bags out of the open area. i was thinking what if i purchased the 2-450s for the trunk the 1000# for the nose and i have a 750# isle bag and shove that all the way forward?
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-02-2010, 7:23 PM Reply   
i know what your thinking, that is the reason i put lead in my boat. i can understand your logic of, if i move x amount of weight to the rear i can move y amount to the front. on paper that makes sense but i reality it doesnt work. you need the weight to be in specific areas of the hull. thats why lead is so much better. i have the lead distributed along the edges of the hull. all i can tell you is this, i have put a lot of weight in my boat and played with it for some time and i can tell you if you want a solid firm wake out of an 06-08 vlx the weight should be forward the motor compartment. to do it right you will be sitting on bags or you need to use a stealthy form of weight i.e. lead.
Old     (mcb611)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-02-2010, 7:25 PM Reply   
just experiment with it, it depends on what your looking for
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-02-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
Bryan,

So the problem with lead is cost for me, how did you acquire 2500# of lead? isnt it a dollar a pound? or did you just man up and purchase it all
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-02-2010, 9:38 PM Reply   
there are multiple threads on here about how to create your own lead bags, just do a search. its as simple as going to tire shops, gun ranges etc.. and getting lead for free for the most part and putting it in bags.

i dont want to turn this into a lead is better debate i just want to see you get the weight in the right spots to achieve the wake i think your looking for. it just happens to be if you want the wake your either sitting on bags or putting the extra time into being creative or as you put it manning up and buying lead bags.but before you do or buy anything get out there and start filling bags and moving that weight around.
Old     (boardnxtx)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-02-2010, 10:04 PM Reply   
As stated in another ballast thread, head over to the Malibu crew forum and check out the link below, you'll find all of your answers there...

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...t-info-how-to/