Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-28-2009, 10:12 PM Reply   
My '08 Supra 22V is up for its second oil change. I had the dealer do the first 20 hr service. To save a little money and less inconvenience of having to take the boat down to them I wanted to do the second myself. I have changed oil in my own vehicles for years.

I located the drain tube on the bottom of the pan last night, ran it through the drain plug hole and removed the cap. I started to get a little oil out, let it drain overnight and I still only have about 2 1/2 qts of oil removed from the pan.

I am going to need to pump it out, does anyone have a recommendation for a pump that will connect to the 1/2" drain line from the bottom of the pan? I would prefer to do this, rather than suck it out the dipstick hole. I will remove more oil from the bottom of the drain pan.

Also, Indmar recommends Pennzoil 15-40 for the oil which I bought. They also recommend a Pennzoil PZ3 filter, the dealer sold me a mercruiser filter for my Indmar engine. Is this a decent filter or should I take it back and go buy the PZ3?

Thanks.....
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-28-2009, 10:43 PM Reply   
Nothing wrong with the Mercruiser filter. Try tilting the trailer to get more flow. Run a hair dryer to heat the oil so it flows faster.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-29-2009, 3:01 AM Reply   
The oil needs to be warm to drain through the hose. I live about 5 minutes from the launch ramp, so I usually come home from the lake and start the drain process and let it drain over-night. I also have a water connection so I can run the boat in the driveway if I want.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-29-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
I have been at work for a couple days, it will be interesting to see it has completely drained over the past two days. It had to be around 130 degrees in my garage yesterday, outside temp was 110.

I am going to buy a pump tomorrow and use it to extract the remaining oil out of the pan. Thanks for all the input.
Old     (gotsumgas)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-29-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
had the same problem 2.5 for 2 hrs while i did other stuff then it stops. do it the same way but shove a hose over the brass fitting and suck it out in less than one min.
Old     (gotsumgas)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-29-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
oh yeah 2nd on the mercruiser filter. From what i hear thats the best way to go. Dont go with a fram or ac auto filter from walmart. spend a few more bucks and buy some of the mc filters. Academy has em for 7 bucks.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-29-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
What's the matter with a Fram / Delco?

It will also be tough to pump out if your oil is not warm, but if your garage is 130 naturally you should be good. Oh, go for a pneumatic vaccum style pump.
Old     (gotsumgas)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-29-2009, 11:30 AM Reply   
nothing against fram or AC for autos use them all the time. but for alittle extra cost i would go with the marine product. how often do you cruise at 4-5000 rpms in your car. Look at the mercruiser filter up against the fram and AC, better built. Just my opinion. If i can afford a $55k boat i should be able to pay 3 bucks more for a filter every 50 hrs. same with 93 oct gas.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-29-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
Here's a trick for draining the oil.... Fast. Once your have your drain hose out and oil has started to drain, pull your dipstick, and put the blower attachment for your air compressor up against the dipstick tube. Put just a little bit of pressure down the dipstick tube and the oil will drain fast! If you don't have a rubber tip on the blower attachment to press against the dipstick tube, just use your fingers to seal it up a bit. It doesn't take much pressure to get the oil flowing.
Old     (gotsumgas)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-29-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
good idea but i would be afraid you would get oil past some places you might not want, like a main seal.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-29-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
It's doesn't take much to get the oil flowing... I'm talking about sealing this with your fingers.... You're probably dealing with less than 1PSI... I wouldn't be worried about seals at all.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-29-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
This is probably what you are looking for...

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/100113.html?1077646658