Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (gobig)      Join Date: May 2002       06-21-2003, 10:23 AM Reply   
hey,

i damaged my propeller and now i want to remove it and send it to repair, but how do i do this ...
cause when i remove the screw there seems to be a thing which holds the propeller ... ??? can anybody help me ?

oh ... i have no
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-21-2003, 10:44 AM Reply   
You need to get a prop puller they run anywhere from 50 to 100.00. All inboard props are on a tapered shaft and need a puller to be removed when you do get one and go to take off the prop do not remove the nut completly as when the prop pops loose it will keep it from falling off and damaging it more. You should also check to see if your drive shaft is now bent.
Old    tclagggym            06-21-2003, 4:53 PM Reply   
There are different prop pullers,3 blade and 4 blade. You need the 4 blade OJ puller.
Old     (gobig)      Join Date: May 2002       06-22-2003, 9:24 AM Reply   
is there a possibility to remove the prop without the prop puller ... with I/O tools ?
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-22-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
No you need a prop puller. If you do not want to buy one ask around at some of the prop repair places they might pull it off for you. The other thing is to have your prop shaft checked to see if it is bent, it depends on what you hit but the shaft bends pretty easy. I drifted into shore at about 3 to 4 mph and hit a stump and my shaft was bent.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-22-2003, 2:33 PM Reply   
I took mine to a prop shop once, and the tech took a wooden or leather hammer and hit it with everything he had on each blade until it came off.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-22-2003, 2:57 PM Reply   
Sounds like a real craftsman. I'd take my prop somewhere else in the future.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2003, 5:46 PM Reply   
When putting the prop back on, use some grease. Most prop puller kits come with some marine grease. That will make it easier next time, might not need to wack the snot out of it to get it off next time like Bruce mentions.

I use a dead blow hammer to tap on the wrench to get the prop off.

I got a kit from propellersonline.com and it works with both 3 and 4 blade props.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-23-2003, 1:22 PM Reply   
You might get lucky and have the prop pop off with just a few taps of a hammer. If it doesn't come off easily, don't force it as you can really muck things up. Every blow of the hammer will transfer up the shaft, and what you are really hammering on is the thrust bearing in the V-drive and/or transmission. You will be really sad if you cause thousands of dollars in damage because you were avoiding spending $100 for a prop puller.
Old    tclagggym            06-23-2003, 2:11 PM Reply   
Do not use grease, trust me.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       06-24-2003, 9:25 AM Reply   
You might try a gear puller from an auto parts store. Could save you big $$$.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-24-2003, 9:39 AM Reply   
tim, why not grease?

All of the prop kits I have seen include instructions to grease the shaft. I pulled my props off a hand full of times last year and all ways greased things back up.

Its also a good way to make sure you have secured the prop. You can dry fit it on the shaft, mark the top of the shaft with a bit of grease and use that as a reference when putting it back on with the nut.
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       06-24-2003, 1:02 PM Reply   
Anyone know how many ft lbs to torque the prop nut down to on my PS190?

-gvb
Old    tclagggym            06-24-2003, 1:05 PM Reply   
I've been told it doesn't feet on the shaft as well,using the grease. I've never had a problem getting it off with out the grease.