Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-12-2010, 12:10 PM Reply   
Ok I am normally a big UFC fan. I was really looking forward to a great fight between GSP and Josh Koscheck. All I got was a one sided fight that was really really boring. I know GSP plans his strategies and is a very smart fighter. I have to say though, not sure I am going to be forking out the pay per view money much anymore. There were a couple decent fights but nothing to write home to mom about. Just had to rant a little because I have been pretty disappointed on the hyped fights that hardly ever produce what they hype them to be.

Koscheck is one of the best Wrestlers in the UFC yet he tries to stand up with someone who is obviously a better striker. He had ample opportunity to lower his position as GSP was throwing the Jab but instead he chose to get hit by the hab a thousand times every round until I am sure his orbital bone was fractured. Josh Koscheck is the dumbest fighter in the UFC. Ok I am done ranting well one more thing, GSP needs to move up a weight class and fight some real contenders AKA Anderson Silva
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-12-2010, 10:46 PM Reply   
Dude.. are you serious?? You can't be, right?

If you know GSP.. you know his strength is his incredible wrestling. Until last night, nobody thought GSP was a better striker. Koscheck's only chance, in my opinion, was his striking. How was that boring? You watched GSP stand with Koscheck and beat the crap out of him for five rounds. Boring?? Seriously?? Maybe I just get a kick out of seeing a d-bag like Koscheck with an eye that he can't open.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-13-2010, 6:19 AM Reply   
I'm not sure what you're ranting about. That the UFC should script the fights so they're more exciting? That GSP is too good and they shouldnt let him fight people because he's boring to watch? Sure it would be nice to have fights that are less one-sided, but thats not really something that can be planned beforehand, other than matching fighters based on past records, as they do in all the championship fights. So...sorry you are unhappy?
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-13-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
Yhea I an with Ben and Liz. As a true MMA fan that fight was masterful. GSP did exactly what he said he was going to do and did it perfectly. The fight matrix numbers were amazing. Kos does have great hands, but obviously no match for GSP. I know Dana's answer that Anderson is still the best pound for pound fighter, but damn GSP has made the last few fights a joke. Of course we would all like to see him finish, but sometimes it is not in the cards. Kos must be a tough SOB and getting his eye and knee beat up for 25 minutes. On a second note, GSP is just too damn good in every aspect of MMA and it will be awhile before anybody can even kind of beat him, Thiago looked awesome. Back to his old self.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-13-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
It wasn't long before Koschek looked defeated as well. As soon as GSP had his eye blown out he as done but I give him props for sticking in there as that eye must have hurt like hell and it would be damn near impossible to fight with one eye. I was hoping for a little more action as I don't like fights that are all stand up or all down on the ground. Sometimes I find the higher profile or title fights aren't as good because each person is just waiting for the other person to slip up instead of just going for broke. Amateur fights can be some of the best to watch for action.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-13-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
Apparently I'm a true MMA fan.. because I found that fight to be masterful as well. My husband would be so proud!

Thiago DID look awesome.. totally back to his old self! And Mac Danzig knocked out Joe Daddy... holy crap. Shocking! Saved his job in the UFC too.. so good for him.

I give props to Koscheck for standing in there and taking the punishment as well.. especially with that eye. Maybe I found it so exciting because I'm such a big fan of GSP and after watching the Ultimate Fighter this year.. I was more than ready to see Koscheck get his ass kicked. I loved it!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-13-2010, 9:28 AM Reply   
^^^^ I agree not since Mike Bisbing talking all that crap and acting like a fool in the UFC Show against Dan Henderson have I wanted another coach to get a ass whooping.

I almost fell sorry for Koscheck. He got his ass beat. I wanna see what his Eye Looks like Now
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-13-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
Thought they were great fights.. Alves vs. Howard was very entertaining, Miller and Bocek both nailed sick subs and Mac put the stamp on Stevenson with the Daley/Smith left hook..

I could have used some more scrambles on the floor of the GSP/Kos fight but overall I thought the eveny was entertaining. I've been watching McCorkle and Struve got at it on the UG for months so that was fun build up as well..

Good fights, imo. They have a done a LOT worse lately than they did on Saturday. No complaints here.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-13-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
Koscheck posted a photo yesterday of the eye on twitter... here it is:

http://yfrog.com/h3dekkj

He has a broken orbital bone (of course) and is having surgery to repair it in Boston, this week. Apparently the damage was so bad that he couldn't fly and had to drive from Montreal to Boston. Crazy!

I almost felt bad for Koscheck too.. until I remembered the things he said to GSP. Then.. not so much.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-14-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
lol @ feeling bad for Kos.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-14-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
I thought it was a great night of fights....plus for the 4th UFC in a row I am taking Mike's money. lol
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-14-2010, 3:35 PM Reply   
Dam it, I need to stop getting crunk before betting with Phatboy! I keep betting with the heart! O well I thought the fights were really good. I want GSP vs a middleweight. It doesn't have to be silva but I want to see someone that can compete with him and I don't think there is anyone in the welterweight division that can compete.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-14-2010, 4:06 PM Reply   
I don't know guys I was bored stiff with it. Don't get me wrong the Bocek fight was awesome that dude is the real deal. But I thought the main event was really lackluster. I guess I wanted someone to finally give GSP a fight and I was let down again.

Let me clear something up about what I said about Koshchecks wrestling. IMO I think Kos has some of the best take downs in MMA. Although we rarely see it anymore hw would pick someone up and drive through until he got the take down. I wanted to see more of that in this fight but it didnt happen. I was impressed with the fact that GSP couldnt hold him down so kudos for Josh for getting back up quickly. I just wanted to see a good fight, guess thats why i was so disappointed I honestly think we will see these kinds of fights until GSP moves up to 185 where he will be facing Silva, Belfort, Marquart, And a ton of other good middle weights..
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-14-2010, 4:30 PM Reply   
GSP has no business fighting at middleweight.. unless he puts on a significant amount of muscle. He would be totally undersized against Silva.

He needs to stay right where he is and continue dominating everyone.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-14-2010, 6:18 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^ true dat. Althought I am thrilled the Kos got the beating he deserved, the better fight of the night would have been GSP/Thiago
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-14-2010, 7:16 PM Reply   
I really wish Fitch and Koscheck weren't lame and would fight each other. Ridiculous.

Shields against GSP next for the title. Seems premature for a title shot.. but he's already beat everyone else, so why not? I'd rather see what Shields can do than see Fitch or Alves or anyone else GSP has beat recently.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-15-2010, 8:33 AM Reply   
I don't understand everyone says GSP needs to put on muscle to fight at Middleweight which is probably true. But when BJ Penn moves up to welterweight he was only 166 pounds. It didn't seem to cause to much problem against Matt Hughes. Plus after GSP beats Sheilds there is no one left to fight. I don't think they will be able to sell fights. And in the grand scheme of things that is what it is all about. Unless some welterweight stud shows up it is time for GSP to move up. Think how exciting that would make the welterweight division as well.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-15-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
Shields I like but has no real chance against GSP. GSP is just too superior in every aspect. Dana keeps saying that that he has to clear out his division before moving up or fighting Anderson. Let's say he he fights Anderson, regardless of what happens it will not change either division. It will be the biggest fight in the UFC history, but doesn't change the fact that Anderson and GSP both have to move up. Fitch and Kos are incredible and great #2 guys, but if GSP leaves it will be a boring champion (as many say GSP has become). At this point I don't really see Anderson having trouble at 205 an clearing out the top 5 there. f nothing else he will have some real challengers. Same goes for GSp moving up. At least if he moves up there are several real big guys that will make him feel small.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-15-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
GSP probably walks around at least 20 pounds smaller than Anderson Silva. GSP would need to put some weight on or he would be way too undersized.

Yes, it's great that BJ Penn beat Matt Hughes at WW. That being said.. Matt Hughes is no Anderson Silva.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-15-2010, 11:24 AM Reply   
Is Silva really as untouchable anymore? His last few fights excluding the Forest Griffin fight he didn't look great. Or atleast didn't finish just like GSP is being critized for. THen in his very last fight he won but definately got his ass kicked for 4 plus rounds. Silva is 35 and I don't think he is untouchable anymore. I don't think Belfort will beat him because he will play to Silva's strentgh of keeping the fight standing. But I think if someone will beat Silva soon. There are chinks in the armor. I don't GSP has any chinks right now.

Jason you say that if GSP moves up we will have a boring Welterweigth champion. Why do you say that? Maybe because of style, but there would be 5 or 6 guys that all seem to be on the same level fighting it out. I think the fights would be very competitive. The problem now is GSP is just miles ahead of everyone else.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-15-2010, 4:44 PM Reply   
Yeah I think if GSP were to move up, you would have a changing of the guard at 170. meaning Alves could be champ, Kos could also be champ, Fitch could be champ maybe even Shields for a span. But there will be no dominating figure like SGP that I could see.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-15-2010, 5:45 PM Reply   
Mike - Very true. I don't think GSP has many weaknesses at this point either. I think Sonnen proved that Silva is not unbeatable. I agree that I think we'll see a loss sometime in the near future.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-16-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
Mikey, I just mean that GSP's spot will be taken over primarily by wrestlers which tend to be more boring (at least to the casual viewer). As I consider all the champions right now, generally when they become champ they become way more conservative in their game-plan. It makes sense, but makes for less exciting finishes. All of them are more than capable of destroying people, but just seems they tighten up. Cain V. may be the exception. I don't seen him just wrestling or getting boring. I see him just getting better and better in all aspects.

How 'bout the big fight tonight and last WEC fight. I can't wait for the Henderson fight.