Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-11-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
I just wanted to make sure the word gets out about this great event that Sean O'Brien is putting together with a lot of the top pros at OWC on February 20th. If you're in the area, please check it out and help raise some money for Haiti relief efforts and have a great time in the process!

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=2738

Upload
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-11-2010, 6:18 PM Reply   
there :-)
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-11-2010, 6:41 PM Reply   
Ditto,
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-12-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
I'm sick and tired of anything to do with helping Haiti

How about a ride for one of any number of the issues here at home! We need to help ourselves before we help others.
Old     (madriding1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-12-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
^+1
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       02-12-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
Im def going!
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-12-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
Another +1 for wvboard
Old    wakeridinrob            02-12-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
Mike -

Agreed. we have already done so much. we are not everyones parents and need to help out. If that crap happened here how much help would we get? answer (katrina) NONE!

"HEY EVERYONE! OUR ECONOMY SUCKS AND WE THE GOV KEEPS SPENDING MORE AND MORE> LETS TAKE OUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS AND GIVE THEM AWAY TO ANOTHER COUNTRY."

Go out and donate to those in need here. We have Homeless without shelter. Children going to bed hungry here. Elderly going with out because The SS $'s are not there for bare minimum items.

I am al for helping those in need but we need to think of those close by than oceans away.Why do we need to be the ones handing out the most?

do not support this and now i do not support OWC. Ill just go to Texas instead.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-12-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
I agree with the issue at hand ( Haiti), But If OWC & these pro's throws a fundraiser for whatever they choose to help out it's their prerogative. I will support them in where they want their money to go, Even if it's the strip club!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-12-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   

quote:

I'm sick and tired of anything to do with helping Haiti

How about a ride for one of any number of the issues here at home! We need to help ourselves before we help others.

Wow, talk about taking the hate to a new level. You do realize that this is voluntary and none of your taxes are involved, right? Rob, seriously boycotting OWC because they are hosting an event to benefit a country that was pretty much destroyed in an earthquake. You guys might as well lay down on the tracks cuz the karma train is on its way!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-12-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
P.S. WakeWorld is helping Sean with this cause and we'll be donating cash to help cover the costs of putting on the event. Feel free to start your boycott of WakeWorld now. Damn, I guess that means you can't respond!
Old     (madriding1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-12-2010, 1:43 PM Reply   
Millions have been donated already. The whole country is not worth that. Are we supposed to rebuild the shanties with new homes? Not trying to hate but just cant understand it.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-12-2010, 1:45 PM Reply   
Dave you are a good man. If I Were in the area I'd be there for sure!

It is true we are not everyone's parents, but remember, pennies make dollars people! If you're so worried about your children being hungry, and our homeless, I challenge you to tell me how much YOU have done to help those who you claim to be worried about.

We do need to help ourselves before we help anyone else, but we are, at the moment, slowly, helping ourselves, so why not help others in the mean time. We didnt get much help with Katrina because all of our SURROUNDING countries really have no economic stability to help us, and its a VERY bold statement to say we didnt get helped, because we helped ourselves. How can a country who was affected almost in its entirety be helped? We, on the other hand, had one injured limb, while Haiti is completely paralyzed at the moment (figure of speech :-D).

Some of you do have the Karma train comin and it aint stoppin. I dont know how you can sleep with yourselves at night knowing your kids and family are safe, sane, warm and have a full belly every day....Rant over!
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-12-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
David, You have to understand peoples frustration, As sad as as it is there, people are dieing here. They have flown 10,000 Haitians( From the news) into the Orlando area taxing hospitals & soon to our Social systems.(Our region was hit hard economically) Our Own food pantry's & Salvation Army here are seriously low on food & funds being pulled away so it can be sent over. It was fine when I was making over 50,000 for the year , You don't mind helping your fellow man but I made 20,000 this year, Where is my help coming from? No where, Yes I know that is different but the average American that is struggling to make it is kind of upset . Do you blame them? Like I said I might be broke but I'll be there to Support what ever our pros want to support. Maybe next event might be for a local cause.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-12-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
^ +1, looks like you and I and several others will be riding IN that Karma train, which will strike many others. Well said brother
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-12-2010, 1:53 PM Reply   
Yes, everybody is free to do what they want with their money. Maybe they should try using it to support our economy.

And, tax dollars have been spent already on Haiti. They were spent when I watched the nations top search and rescue team out of Fairfax VA fly down there for a month. They were spent when I watched multiple planes take off from my local Air Force base for Haiti and they were spent when the Navys largest hospital ship sailed for Haiti.

Im not saying we shouldnt help people, but the US Government and US citizens are NOT the rest of the worlds guardian angel.

Since my taxes are being spent on this, how about hiring some of my friends that have been laid off for over a year to go down there and help.
Old     (wvboard)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-12-2010, 1:59 PM Reply   
And look.....this thread goes almost unnoticed.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/4387/774690.html?1265991803

If only this could get as much publicity as Haiti!

Will wakeworld click on the donate button on that site?

(Message edited by wvboard on February 12, 2010)
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-12-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
fancy that Mike...I also donated to that, just didnt post. Have a good day.
Old    alanp            02-12-2010, 4:39 PM Reply   
im down in haiti now(finally got to move out of a tent and found a place with internet!!). you guys make good points about keeping the money at home. however at the end of the day they need help down here, lots of it; on a scale that hopefully none of us in the states will ever have to experience. things like clean water and rice go along way.
Old     (dmonte3283)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-12-2010, 6:40 PM Reply   
For those that find it necessary to voice their opinions about how they don't want to support this event... I ask for you to think about what it is that YOU do to help out ANYONE that may be less fortunate.?.
We in the wakeboard community are very priviledged to enjoy the lifestyles that we have. I personally make time during the year to donate my time and money to a variety of causes - here in my own community.

A little bit goes a long way...
A donation of $20 is all that is requested. If that sounds like too much, maybe going out for "an extra set" should be reconsidered.

If you find that this event isn't something that you want to support, that is fine. But please allow those that want to help, do so.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-12-2010, 7:41 PM Reply   
I love the two sides here! I have not donated to Haiti nor do I intend to outside of attending this event. Its not that I dont think Haiti could use the money I do feel this is a charitable cause but I would rather donate my time and money on more local fronts like teaching kids in the ghetto how to do science and math. (which I do do every week at the Boys and Girls in the hood)Maybe then more of them can earn real money and actually help our economy. I challenge everyone that is donating to outside causes to donate the same effort to an inside cause. Even if its putting a stripper through college;)
Old     (dmonte3283)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-13-2010, 6:15 AM Reply   
Well said Scott....
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-22-2010, 10:36 PM Reply   
If you don't want to go and donate thats your choice, but to boycott OWC... Really?

This is what I'm looking at. Hey $20 to go to OWC and ride for 4 hours!!! Ordinarily I would have to pay $30 for an hour. That is a steal. And to think that that money is going toward less fortunate people. Thats awesome and a win win for everybody.

If you want to talk to the guys at OWC and see if you can get them to sponsor a local charity... good for you, if its anything like Ride for Relief I'll be there. But to talk down about an event designed to help any less fortunate people... I don't know how you sleep at night.