Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-02-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
Just wondering if anyone has made a dog ramp for their swim platform. I have some ideas but if there is a proven way I'll go with that....pictures would be great!
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-02-2009, 2:45 PM Reply   
Just put pressure on the back of his neck once his front paws are on the deck. Nothing to store no holes to drill
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-02-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
Agree with Bryan. I didn't believe it until I tried it myself. Works like a charm everytime.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-02-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
Dogs can't look up.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-02-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
I know that works but I don't want to have to be waiting by my swim platform every time that he wants in the boat.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-02-2009, 6:06 PM Reply   
Heres an interesting idea....

Upload
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-02-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
Ya, just cup your hand and brace the back of the dog's head. It works like a charm.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-03-2009, 10:42 AM Reply   
Well another alternative is to load your boat down with about 4000lbs of ballast to submerge your platform
Just kidding. Not sure what materials you have access to or tooling but you could make something like this:
Upload
Then modify it to something like this:
Upload
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-03-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
Dogs can't look up? I have one that watches airplanes fly by all the time.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-03-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
must be a bird dog!
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-04-2009, 5:04 AM Reply   
I like that idea with the lip Corey! I think I'm going to try using a plastic table and piece of plywood with a hinge, try to attach a lip like that to the plywood which will lay flat on the platform and then attach rope from the back of the table(ramp) to the back of the boat where I tie it down to the trailer. and I think I'm going to have to put a little weight on the back of the table to allow it to sink a little bit...but not sure yet.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-04-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
About 4 years ago, I built my dock dog ramp from a 2'x4' plastic table top (costco), 2'x4' outdoor rug (homedepot), some composite deck wood (homedepot) and stainless hinges/hardware (homedepot). It works like a charm and I can tie it up out of the water to keep it from growing in the delta water. However, I would not recommend this for a boat, just a permanent install on a dock.

My neighbor has this one. It worked but they haul it in/out every time and it fell apart after a couple of years.

http://www.yachtsee.com/doggydocks.htm
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       05-04-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
I made a dog ramp for our pool. It's made from a white PVC fence section. Total cost was about $45.
I imagine that you could retrofit it to a swimstep.
Here it is in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBcWWbEx1zE&feature=related

(Message edited by kirk on May 04, 2009)
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-05-2009, 2:49 AM Reply   
OK, Quasi hijack... What do you do about the claws on their feet? With a small dog I can see it easily done, but with a big dog, even if you manicure those nails back until the quik, won't they still slash the seats?
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-05-2009, 4:59 AM Reply   
My dog is 75lbs and he's never cut a seat, and I don't do anything special to his nails or anything. I'd say don't cut them a few days before your dog will come on the boat cause they are much sharper right after a trim...and if you have to take it for a run or something on some concrete.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-05-2009, 7:47 AM Reply   
I two 75 lb Borders & no cuts in the upholstery. We just trimmed their nails a few weeks ago. So by the time we take them in the boat in a month or so, there won't be any problems.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-05-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
My 60 lb dog was on my boat for every trip for 8 years. The boat has normal wear and tear but non of it is from the dog. All from the humans. However, I do trim his nails every 2 to 3 weeks with dremel (rounding out the corners).