Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-06-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
Have an 06 X2 and I want to extend the rca aux inputs from the back of the head unit to a permanent mount inside the glove box. The local audio shop has one but it is using the headphone jack of the Ipod. I would rather use rca connections so the head unit is the sole volume control. Anyone know where I could find something that works?

I bought this but it doesnt look like it would last longterm after talking to the audio place:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=091-1120
Upload
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-06-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
Those will work fine. Make sure you twist the pairs. After you solder them, epoxy the wiring or use hot melt to secure it.

There are other styles as well including barrel connectors to go through and also panel mount female style that are flush.

(Message edited by olSkoolTige on March 06, 2008)
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-06-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
So how does your I pod plug into your head unit???
What kind of head unit are you using?

PEOPLE: if you wanna hook up a I-pod to your head unit. This is the best hook up peice I have found.
Quick and easy. It charges your I pod, The serial connection at the bottom of the hook up is a quality one and makes a solid connection. It works for video as well, its well priced, the cord is long. All youhave to doo is hook up power and ground and plug it in to the AUX of your head unit DONE!
ALPINE KCE-415i
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product_acc.php?model=KCE-415i
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-06-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
I have those connections, Adam, and they seem to work fine. Heres a shot of the glovebox.
What I like is that they are not Ipod specific. So if someone has a Sansa MP3 player, or a cell phone, or whatever, just plug it in & it plays over the stereo with all the volume & fade control at the deck or remotes.
Upload
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-06-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
Steve, I have not worked with patch cables before, can you tell or show me how to do what you described? I know how to solder but I dont know what to do with the two sets of wires in the patch cable. There is copper wire and then another insulated wire inside of that. Would the "barrel connectors" or "panel mount" be better or easier for what I am trying to do?

I have a Clarion unit with the RCA style inputs.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-06-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
Bill that is exactly what I want. I just need a little help figuring how to hook it up.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-06-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
Right on, Adam. Mine was a breeze to solder & ran the wire around the bow to the deck in the driver's side arm rest. Sounds great & gives the passenger control over their music. And it gives ME control over the volume.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-06-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
how about this?
AQUATIC AQAUXAV2 AUDIO/VIDEO - INPUT PLATE $20
Upload

(Message edited by wakecumberland on March 06, 2008)
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-06-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
No, no, no....Much easier solution...

Go to radio shack and buy an A/V wall plate and a short set of RCA's. We used to do this all of the time. Here are some pics..
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-06-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
Perfect Alan! Looks like I am heading to Radio Shack.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-06-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
Looks like either of those solutions would work great, as long as you have enough cable to get to the deck.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-06-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm going to check Radio Shack. If for some reason they dont have them, you can get them here for $5.73:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=261-342
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-06-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
FYI, Radio Shack had it for $12.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-08-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
Adam R
If you are going to run an IPOD into a Clarion marine head unit, order a Clarion IPOD interface cord and you can control everything via drivers remote, anything less would be a mistake. $50 from CrutchfieldUpload
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-08-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
MCXSTAR, sounds good but it doesnt look like a very clean install. How would you run the cables? Do have pictures of how you have yours set up? I want a clean install, not a bunch of cable hanging out everywhere.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-08-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
A 3/8" hole in the glove box next to the Clarion head. Everything but the 5' cable you plug into the IPOD is concealed behind the glove box,
(little bundle of wire connects to the IPOD)
Old     (fast355)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-09-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
I did the above (clarion) setup in our 04 X star. Works great.

I drilled the access hole from behind and under the glove box door, near the hinge, in the left corner. It can not be seen unless your head is almost in the glove box.

(Message edited by Fast355 on March 09, 2008)
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-10-2008, 5:40 AM Reply   
Anyone know where to find an 8 pin feedthrough jack like the RCA jacks we discusses earlier? That would be a perfect install!
Old     (ripping_trends)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-10-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
Go wireless, I have more information if you want!

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-10-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
Ok ChadO you have peaked my interest...tell me more
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-10-2008, 6:45 PM Reply   
Adam,
8 pin what? What connector type? BTW if you are still considering those first style you posted, you could get a pair of twisted patch cables, cut one end to length, then solder the signal and ground to the center pin and the ground tab respectively. Coat it liberally with hot melt or epoxy to prevent it from being pulled loose.

Alan,
Nice and easy. I like that.

(Message edited by olSkoolTige on March 10, 2008)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-10-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
I use and Ipod interface from Kenwood that is I'm sure the same as the Clarion one. It hooks up into the midi cable input on the back of the deck you can conceal everything very easily and run the cord which is about 10' were ever you need it. for me I cut a small square in my driver side cup holder and the cord hides in there and it makes for a great place to store the Ipod.

The other benefit of these interfaces is that they charge your Ipod and using either my remote or the head unit I can have complete control over the Ipod. It also displays the song title, genre or playlist on the HU.

The only other device I might consider would be the Harmon Kardon Idrive but install is a little more involved as is the price.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-11-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
Steve, If you will notice on the clarion ipod interface above, the connections are made via 8 pin connectors. I thought a permanently mounted 8pin jack would be a clean look so that you could leave the rest of the cable behind the dash.

I am not going to use the first style I posted. Much easier to go with Alan's solution. I am now seriously considering the Clarion solution though.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-11-2008, 7:41 AM Reply   
I dont understand how people like the Ipod Clarion interface. It makes your Ipod completley usless. The screen says CLARION and none of the buttons work. You have to File your music in a way that the Head unit can find it. I have the Alpine Ipod interface and its supposed to be way better than the Clarion and IMO thats a peice of crap also.

The thing is you might be able to re orgnize your music in a folder on your Ipod so you can find it quick and easy, but all that's out the window if you try hooking up a friends Ipod. I just dont see how any interface is quicker/better than the Ipod itself??
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-11-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
Harmon Kardon drive and Play, EXACTLY like the ipod interface
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-11-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
Anyone know if you go with any of the Clarion solutions if you can still use Sirius? They both use the CeNet and I'm wondering if the passthrough actually works.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-11-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
The same reason i hate the Pioneer interface G, makes the ipod useless and forces you to do triple the work to find anything.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-11-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
razzman: Yes IMO all the Ipod interfaces are pretty much the same. USLESS. I say usless because like what you said triple the work to do the same thing.
Alpine has a Ipod only head unit. The face of the head unit works just like a Ipod I can see that one working well. The Harmon kardon unit looks like it works great.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       03-11-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
Huh... I think the Pioneer interface rocks....

lets you scan though artists, albums etc and is super quick and easy - one of the few great interfaces in my opinion.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-11-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
I've had no problems with my interface at all no I cannot use the Ipod control while its plugged in but I'm allowed full control over the Ipod via the head unit. If I do need to access the Ipod controls I take the 4 seconds and unplug it.

G, the new alpine HU designed for the Ipod does look sweat and knowing Alpine products I'm sure it works extremely well. If I replace my HU I'll be going this route. http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=55 01
Old     (ripping_trends)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-11-2008, 9:46 PM Reply   
Check out the bluetooth wireless interface at ssvworks.com. This wireless interface works awesome. Shameless plug insert here >>>>>> Email trevor at SSV works (sales@ssvworks.com)<<<<<, he can hook you up. I have one in my Rhino, Truck and sandcar, best investment ever. Wireless range approx. 30 feet. You can see the bluetooth wireless unit at ssvworks.com under the products button then the audio button.

No affiliation, just a cool product that I will be installing in my new Tomcat.

If you do speak to Trevor tell him Chad sent you.

http://www.ssvworks.com/SC-BTK.html

ChadO

(Message edited by ripping trends on March 11, 2008)

(Message edited by ripping trends on March 11, 2008)
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-11-2008, 11:26 PM Reply   
I have the sony headunit in my centurion that came w/ it. I bought the 100$ sony ipod adapter and it works exactly like the ipod controls. Some people on my boat complain but I like it. Keeps the wet paws off the pods. Also have a soft sock to put the ipods in so they dont get all scratched up in a glove box or whatever. works basically the same as the scion ipod interface. MY only complaint is that it is slow getting the new text to the headunit I wish I could flip from track to track as fast as I can on the ipod. Check out sony. you can play artist album playlist whatever..
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-12-2008, 6:01 AM Reply   
If anyone wants a Drive and Play brand new in the box, let me know. I think I paid around $25 bucks for it. I bought two and was going to put one in my truck. I found that my deck had only the output for the CD changer which wasn't RCA. The only way to hook this up was to spend another 30 bucks for an antenna wire adapter. I'll just buy a new deck with an IPOD direct hook-up. Anyway, if you want it, I'll sell it for $25 plus actual shipping.
Old     (jroll)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-12-2008, 6:33 AM Reply   
Rod,
I'll take it off your hands.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-12-2008, 7:11 AM Reply   
What brand drive and play will it interface to?
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-12-2008, 8:08 PM Reply   
Jason, I E'Mailed you.

Rod