Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-27-2005, 8:46 PM Reply   
I found a search regarding this topic not to long ago but it didnt get a lot of responses. I know there are a lot of people out there with knee injuries that wear braces. What do you wear and why? From the other post the few responses seemed to favor CTI2. Does anyone have preference for the Donjoy Defiance or any other brace. I will be getting one shortly for an ACL.

Thanks
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-28-2005, 5:58 AM Reply   
I am wearing the Breg X2k brace, and have been happy with it so far... it is for an acl, I started riding about 3 months after surgery!
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       09-28-2005, 9:18 AM Reply   
Very happy with the DonJoy, dont have to use it at all now. I only use it for snowboarding. The straps tend to come loose in the water, but they sell neoperene ovelays to help keep them tight. Dont know what the CTI has. The DonJoy just fit better, but they are both excellent braces...cant go wrong with either.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-28-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
I have the Donjoy Defiance and I don't exactly think it's all that. For what it costs your insurance, I expect a little more. I've had it blow completely off on a few hard falls and generally at least one strap comes loose every fall even if it's minor. I've replaced all of the straps three times in less than a year and still have these problems. Other than that it's pretty sturdy and makes my gimpy leg feel pretty safe.

I'm thinking about looking into a CTi2 as I haven't seen as many complaints with that one. I might see about trying the neoprene overlays that howie mentioned as well.
Old    buffoonery            09-28-2005, 3:19 PM Reply   
acl surgery 2.5 months ago, i have both don joy and cti2. i like them both. the cti seems a little more comfy but i think its all personal preference. i'm not riding yet but i wear it only when i'm working my knee and both help w/ stability.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-29-2005, 7:36 AM Reply   
I have the Don Joy Defiance as well. I experienced the same problems with my straps that Stanfield has. However, I found a solution that has worked great for two years now.

I added metal snaps to the straps. These are the kind of metal snaps that you would use on a snap on canvas boat cover. You can buy a set of snap pliers with snaps at any craft store for about $20.

Before you put the snaps on you need to wet the straps of the brace. Then put the brace on as you normally would. Then mark a spot on the strap where you want to put a snap. Take the brace off and install the snaps.

Like I said, I've been riding with this brace with the snaps for two seasons now and the straps rarely, if ever, come undone.
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-29-2005, 9:16 AM Reply   
I, too, have the Don Joy. I find it very comfortable, and very stabilizing since my ACL reconstruction last fall.

Richard: Great idea about the snaps!! I was going to resort to duct tape soon. I will go get some snaps though. Much better idea! thanks!
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-29-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
i just got the EBI Alliance today, and i like it WAY better than my CTI2. I have heard good and bad things about the Don Joy stuff.
Old     (okwakebdr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-29-2005, 2:59 PM Reply   
Need to check out the brand new BREG FUSION. I have torn the ACL in both knees and had surgery on both. The new Fusions are incredible. Completely new concept that no one else is using. Very light and comfortable. I have had several braces, and it is by far my favorite. Unfortunatly, my custom fit braces were close to $2k each. Thanks for insurance.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-29-2005, 3:06 PM Reply   
Sounds like the CTI2 holds up well with watersports and that the major problems with Donjoy is straps coming loose in water. I want a good all around brace for all sporting activities. I may be leaning towards the Defiance with the straps or snaps if I have that issue. My doc uses defiance and has had great results. I still have a few months before I get to that point but good suggestions with the straps and snaps for Defiance.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-29-2005, 3:41 PM Reply   
Does anyone use a ? The guy thats getting me set up with my temporary brace is pushing this one big time. Townsenddesign.com is the sight and the brace actually looks pretty slim and from what he says is very sturdy. Was just curious if there were any takes on this one.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-29-2005, 3:42 PM Reply   
That got jacked up, Townsend Design Premiere was what was supposed to be in bold.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       09-29-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
Never heard of 'em. Are they new to the market?
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       09-29-2005, 4:32 PM Reply   
Hey Misty...nice to see that you are still alive. Maybe I can see you ride before I retire from the Fire Service. I passed the Captains test, by the way. AND, Nolan finished last year with a 3.8 GPA...thanks to you and your help.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-29-2005, 9:30 PM Reply   
Townsend have been around for awhile. Manufactured in Bakersfield,CA. So I can see why that's being pushed on your plate.
Initially their brace was this bulky arsed piece of of crap.
They have since gone through 2 modifications in the past 10 yrs.
Didn't care to try the new ones since they charged my insurance WAAAY too much for the 1st time for something that appeared to belong to a Knight going to battle.
There were too many things you had to put on and over the old brace that also turned me off to using it.

Donjoy has also created a special spring that help slow down the last 15 degrees of extension, which is suppose to help reduce the stress on reconstructed ACLs until they are completely healed. ( at least that was my take on that)
CTI has been marketing the Watersports community recently. I'm sure once the other companies figure out/receive feedback about the issues/problem areas they will make the needed modifications.

(Message edited by phantom5815 on September 29, 2005)
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-30-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
As Phantom said Townsends previous product was bulky and clunky. In the past couple of years they have developed a sleak looking brace to compete with the others. I'm sure your also correct about getting the push for the Townsend because they're made in Bako. He probably gets a better cut on them however it does seem like a good product now. They all have different marketing pitches just like any product. When it comes down to function, I'm sure they will all serve their purpose.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-30-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
Just got my Cti2 today, I'll let you know how it is.