Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (fifitrixabelle)      Join Date: May 2004       04-27-2005, 7:08 AM Reply   
We have a '98 xstar (x2) and I would like to get some sacs for husbands birthday. What/how weighting would be proper for our boat, or what should I buy first?? Thanks!!!
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-27-2005, 8:01 AM Reply   
'98 x star? i am assuming it is direct drive model? i have a friend who runs a '97 PS 205 with 1 500# sac up in front on bow walkway and 2 250# side sacs on each side of motor box. this allows him to keep back seat free for passengers. he also keeps an extra 500# sac handy to fill the floor space from back seat to motor box when he needs a little more kick. i have ridden behind his boat with just the three sac setup and it is ample for landing all spins and inverts. really sucks having to fill and empty all those sacs though...
might consider some lead if you live near lake or have means of transporting without having to leave too much weight in the boat. lead is heavy, out of the way/sight and can be displaced throughout boat for best wake distribution.

(Message edited by h20jnky on April 27, 2005)
Old     (fifitrixabelle)      Join Date: May 2004       04-27-2005, 8:09 AM Reply   
Yes, direct drive, sorry I didn't mention that.. Lead would be cool too, but I have absolutely no idea where to get in in my area (Portland, OR). Thanks!!!!
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-27-2005, 8:17 AM Reply   
I agree with Ryan...those three sacs would be good (one 500 lb and two side sacs) and they're versatile. However, I would get the Launch Pad side sacs because they hold 350 lbs of water rather than the Fly High's that only hold 250.

Ryan's friends set-up is good if you have people in the boat to weight the rear, if not - you probably want to put the 500 lb sac in the rear rather than the bow.
Old    jzwake            04-27-2005, 8:32 AM Reply   
Fly High ProX series sacks.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-27-2005, 8:38 AM Reply   
for lead weights, try your local tractor salvage yard. bobcat, caterpillar, john deere, and kubota dealers will also have the weights. they sell the flat weight blocks for the front of their tractors and at 100# each it doesn't take many to see the difference. i bought mine used at a salvage yard and then painted them in epoxy to keep from rusting. i spent about $100 for 700 lbs of tractor weights. if you're real handy you can always make your own lead blocks. there have been many threads on this site in the past on how to do that. local tire store sometimes will give you buckets full of (used)lead balancing weights and then you melt at home in tin to shape blocks and wallah...
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-27-2005, 10:25 AM Reply   
Tire Shops are a good place for lead ask for all there old tire wheights and bag um up
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-27-2005, 11:56 AM Reply   
I found a pretty good combination for that boat. You will need to buy about 4 sacs total for optimum wake, but not so optimal storage and room left in the boat.

We used a 550lb (full sized sack) from FlyHigh in the trunk.
One launch pad side sack (350 lbs) on each side of the motor box (2 total)
One launch pad side sack (350 lbs) in the bow walkway or over the cushions.

Good luck!
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-27-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
I have a '96 205 and I run 2 600's in the back, a 550 in the cooler under the walkway and two 275s under the fron seats. Buy two sacs at first and start with one in the back and one up front. Then you and your husband can move them around and see what you like best.