Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-18-2008, 4:28 AM Reply   
do you guys use special binding lubes to get into your bindings, or just generic lubricants like dishwashing detergent etc?

I have always heard that diswashing detergant can breakdown the bindings.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-18-2008, 5:09 AM Reply   
I've always heard that too. But I've always just used soap until this season. One of the girls I ride with bought a ton of that special binding lube for the boat. Honestly I haven't noticed much of a difference between the two. My bindings have never given me any trouble.

Does anyone know exactly how dishwashing soap breakdowns bindings? I'm assuming it could have an effect on the lining.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-18-2008, 5:30 AM Reply   
I believe it's the detergents, that have a small effect. Just use 1/3 soap 2/3 water and you shouldn't have a problem. Shouldn't need to use lube anyway..
Old    walt            06-18-2008, 6:47 AM Reply   
Shaving cream works well.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-18-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
what type of bindings are you riding that you're needing lube to get into them? I remember when awhile back I would use some soap to help slide into my '05 Era bindings, but ever since I got the Ronix Ones, I haven't had to use lube at all. I can slide in and out of them just like a snowboard boot. Are yours closed two or open?
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-18-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
toe*
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-18-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
2007 CWB Deuce Bindings
Open Toe
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-18-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
I use shaving cream as well. Buy the cheap Barbasol with the thick lather. I mainly use it b/c it washes out of the bindings, once I'm in, much quicker than soap will.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-18-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
friendly for the environment is another reason to get the expensive stuff

supposedly the binding lubes are more env. friendly
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-18-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
shaving cream is the best i've done
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-18-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
hmm, are they real tight or you just like to use a little something to make it easier? One thing that I used to get so frustrated w/ is when I was done w/ my ride, how difficult it was to get OFF the board. Yea it was simple when I would use a lube to put them on, but getting out was a diff. story. Have you tried any closed toe bindings yet?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-18-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
I used the Deuce all last year. Those boots are awesome!! I never needed soap for them. Get em wet and get your toe as far forward as you can, then simultaneously lift on the heel handle and stuff your heel down.
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-18-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
I had to use shaving cream to get into mine but once I broke them in I havent had to use any
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-18-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
I always used to get my toes stuck, like folded over, in my older (06) Switch bindings, so with those I use dishwashing liquid to lube them up, it's cheap, bio-degradable and I haven't noticed any extra wear. The new 08 Alphas I got are sweet though, no worries getting in and out of those.
Old     (deltaratmike)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-18-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
i used to work at Cope and McPhetres and used to see the Newt Juice rep. all the time and he told me to tell everyone that its not harmful for the enviornment and its mango scented and washes off in the water almost immediately and doesnt harm the bindings. he said that soap and shaving cream dry out the rubber and neoprene in the binding and causes them to crack over time. happened to my dads boots. its always newt juice for me
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-19-2008, 5:20 AM Reply   
Bindings crack over time, especially if left in the sun. I haven't used soap in years and bindings still begin to weaken. It's rubber. I also use soap on my jump ski bindings and they just have the normal wear and tear for 10+ yr old bindings. I would say thats a sales tactic.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-19-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
certain soaps have a degreaser in them that takes out all of the stuff in the bindings that protect them from the sun.
Old     (flamike)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-19-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
shaving cream works great and it cheap.
Old     (thisisbrians)      Join Date: May 2008       06-19-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
Just get some Hinge Techs. I started riding about 6 months ago, and rode two boards with normal bindings. Getting into/out of those things was an uphill battle. I bought the Zeus's and couldn't be happier (except when the recoils snapped off...).
Old     (reachjims)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-19-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
simple green and water, about a 30/70 mix in a spray bottle is what i use.
Old     (wakesheazy)      Join Date: Nov 2006 Location: Irvine, California       06-19-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
Simple green is pretty much amazing. It def is a boat necessity for several uses.