Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-02-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
I've beed rooked into filming my brother's wedding
I've got a Canon XL1s with just the stock microphone, tripod, 6" lcd to monitor it

any tips from anyone!?
thanks
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-04-2006, 12:32 AM Reply   
Don't do wedding videos...

Now that it's too late.

Wirelss Lav
For a wedding I wouldn’t use the stock mic. Since your XL-1 has XLR inputs (audio), go rent a wireless lavaliere mic setup to capture the nuptials. Look for names like: Lectrosonic & Sennhesier. (rental cost approx $50-75/weekend) And please don’t end up renting (or buying) one of those cheapie Sony wireless lavs. You get what you pay for when it comes to audio.

a) If this is your first time using a wireless setup please MAKE SURE you practice with the setup before hand! (A good time to do this is during the rehearsal)
b) Make sure to use fresh batteries the day of the wedding.
c) You will need headphones to monitor the audio levels while you are shooting.

Lights
If it's an evening ceremony rent a light. This is more while shooting the reception since the house lights will be on the dark side. The LED Panel (http://www.studiobfilms.com/rentals/cameras-light_panel_rental.html ) is awesome and can be adjusted from 0 -100% brightness. (approx rental $75-80/weekend)

General
A family wedding video should be fun since you already know everyone.. You will start to get the good stuff once the alcohol flows.

Also a cool thing to do towards the end of the evening (and to give yourself a break after filming all day). Set up the camera on the tripod away from reception area and then invite people to go give a private message to the bride and groom. You have to be pro-active in rounding people up, but at the end it makes for a cool bonus section on the DVD.

Oh yeah if you are a single camera setup I would setup at the back and in the middle of the isle once the bride walks down. For the most part the nuptials are boring so I would frame a nice medium shot that has the bride, groom, and priest and then only zoom in during the rings and kiss.

Other than that don't do wedding videos..

7 mins you will never get back http://strasner.dpcfilms.com/

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-04-2006, 8:07 AM Reply   
great advice!
thanks
I dont really wanna do it....but I will for my brother
if I dont..no one will...he is on a tight budget

renting a mic is a great idea...hadn't thought of that

the light also...the XL1s films on the dark side anyway..needs lots of light

thanks for the reply

on a separate note.....
I'm trying to figure out a safe way to mount the camera to the top mount trakker...it's a lot bigger than most cameras(as you know)
thinking about creating another mounting bolt that would attach to where the shoulder mount mounts...on the camera
that way it is fastened by 2 bolts instead of 1
thanks again
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-04-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
A better way to capture audio is using Irivers with a lav mic. Usually a giant squid lav mic. Of course later you have to sync up the audio to the video but it isn't that hard.

Everything you wanted to know about filming weddings and more

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=72
Old                06-04-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
Pretty good tips from Kung Fu. But the xl1s doesnt have xlr inputs. You would need to rent an xlr adapter to use xlr audio.

(Message edited by lmp on June 04, 2006)
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-04-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
My bad.. You mean that big old honking camera doesn't have XLR inputs...?

If you rent one of the Shennieser wireless lav kits (http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=EW112PG2&Cat egory_Code=3A2A1&Product_Count=8) they will come with a 3.5mm Stereo plug.

- OR -

As Nick recommended ask your local rental shop if they have a Beach XLR Adapter

http://www.adorama.com/VDBDXA6.html
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-04-2006, 6:49 PM Reply   
the XL1s has an audio/shoulder pad adapter that is for the XLR input
I just don't have one
thanks for all of the input
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-05-2006, 5:11 AM Reply   
I would second the Iriver and giant squid lav mic. Also going to dvinfo.net, Scroll down to the Wedding / Event videography Techniques. Then read for hours. I learned ALOT there.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-09-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
Dave,
Even on a wedding vid your talent is unmatched.
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-17-2006, 12:03 AM Reply   
kung fu....

just curious... how many cameras involved in shooting that wedding vid? i love your ideas for grabbing all the watchable parts of a wedding and leaving out the rest. awesome!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-18-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
Thanks. It's kinda long, but the couple really loves that song..

2 cameras..
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-18-2006, 10:54 PM Reply   
fu-

seven min. is long? i just tried to piece together a friend's wedding video- i only edited, someone else shot it. i'm trying to keep all the vows, all the "best wishes", etc. all tolled it is just over 25 min. i like your style on highlighting the watchable moments, pasting audio to other clips. in fact after i post this, i'm gonna watch it again for inspiration. again- great work!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-19-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
Ron - The video you see is only the highlight teaser to show friends and what not. The actual video is somewhere around 35 minutes. I have over 10 hours of footage and a lot of stuff went into the bonus section uncut, but for the most part the video went as follows:

Bride getting ready
Groom getting ready
Photos
Ceremony
Reception/speeches