Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Maddog10)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-07-2010, 3:18 PM Reply   
What up guys. I'm in desperate need of a rope/handle combo, but really don't wanna spend $100+ on one of these fancy setups. Basically, I want a dyneema or spectra core with a decent handle to go along with it. I really like the Proline LG setups and have heard great things about them but I just haven't seemed to find any that fit my budget. I'm a beginner to the sport and am just having a hard time justifying spending $120 on a rope/handle. I found this ProLine Response on evogear and was just wondering what you guys thought about them? Please let me know what you guys think. Seems like a decent setup for the price?

http://www.evogear.com/wakeboard-han...line-2010.aspx
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-07-2010, 4:09 PM Reply   
That's a good handle and the rope is non-stretch. The only downside is non-coated ropes tangle like a bad set of dreadlocks. You just have to be a little more diligent about keeping it straight and make sure you coil it up proper.
Old     (Maddog10)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-07-2010, 4:23 PM Reply   
Ok thanks man. Yea I really wanted to get a coated one. I really liked this LGS/Spyderwire combo but like I said, I can't make myself spend $120 on it. Sure looks like a sweet setup though.

http://www.evogear.com/Mashups/Proli...-Mainline.aspx
Old    ajmac            07-08-2010, 5:31 AM Reply   
the Dicks Sporting Goods by my house sells a combo with a LG handle and some non coated line for under $70. You may want to check some local stores out.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-08-2010, 4:12 PM Reply   
I have a Bulletlines rope and handle combo, they are all over ebay. Rope is ok, like Big Heavy said you have to watch that it doesnt tangle, and the handle is a little thin for my tastes, but it has lasted two seasons with very little wear, so its worth the money.
Forgot to mention that its a leather grip, so its pretty rough until you get it in the water, and it sinks. I put it into the prop last year and got a couple chops in the grip, but they havent gotten any bigger over the rest of the season.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-09-2010, 5:43 AM Reply   
I found a Proline combo on Ebay last year for around $40 It is non-coated and does tangle worse than other ropes I've had, but it is a nice feel to the handle and is non-stretch.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-09-2010, 7:13 AM Reply   
I don't get it. Taking the cheap route on a handle/rope? I am not advocating buying the most expensive handle out there, heck find one that is an 09 or 08 model. IMO, you have to have a quality handle and line. It saves on the hands. Nothing worse than trying to get someone into the sport with a POS handle. It makes for a bad time.
Old     (Maddog10)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-09-2010, 9:12 PM Reply   
Is $70 really going "cheap" on a handle? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm asking an honest question. I mean I thought that seemed like a pretty good setup. Basic, but good. I mean it doesn't have the leather/chamois grip and it doesn't have the coated line but it is non-stretch with what seems to be a decent handle... Right now I'm riding with a POS rope attached to a POS handle so anything is better. I just thought this seemed like a good setup without some of the luxuries of the high end handles such as the LG.... I didn't think a 70 dollar setup was really "taking the cheap route." It's definitely not the most expensive, but it's not the $20 dollar setup from walmart that my dad is trying to get me to buy... If you don't mind Jeremy, could you recommend me a rope/handle that won't empty my wallet?
Old     (fuzzball147)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-09-2010, 10:38 PM Reply   
Wholesale Marine. Airhead coated non-stretch line and handle for about $60. I got one at the beginning of the season and it has been great. The one i have is bright lime green, you can certainly see it in the water!
Old     (Maddog10)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-09-2010, 11:28 PM Reply   
Yea they had this one... What do ya think? I'm just looking for any suggestions really. I'm just trying to stay around $80 or under.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/K-...oard+Rope.html
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-10-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
Here is a link to Buywake's Straighline closeouts:

http://www.buywake.com/catalog/close...s/Straightline

This is just one example, Perfski, the House, etc. all have closeout sections.

I was not trying to attack you, I fully advocate saving money, that's why I said look at 08 or 09 models. Bindings and handles are the one thing that I make sure are thing that I feel have to be comfortable to maximize your riding experience. I am currently using a non-coated line and it doesn't coil as good as a coated line, but it is fine as long as you roll it up properly.
Old     (Maddog10)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-10-2010, 11:24 AM Reply   
So would you advise against the proline response I listed at the top of the page? It seems like a pretty good setup to me but then again I'm not real familiar with all the lines. I just knew I wanted spectra or dyneema line with a pretty decent handle. I think I'm about to order it unless someone suggests otherwise.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-10-2010, 6:14 PM Reply   
That handle would be fine. Remember, black lines are harder to see in the water. Good luck.