Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (shino)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-12-2012, 6:27 AM Reply   
Yo,

I'm looking for a warm place to escape the winter here in europe. I'd like to ride a nice cable (don't have to be the best one) with some good waves close from it...
Nothing like that in asia... Maybe west USA ?

Thank you

Pierre
Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-12-2012, 9:57 AM Reply   
Can't give you much info on where to go on the west coast but I live beachside east of Orlando, FL and the waves are by no means great but they are there and you have OWC an hour away.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-13-2012, 6:15 AM Reply   
South Florida.......anywhere near Deerfield beach. The waves aren't always awesome but Ski Rixen is only 15 minutes from the beach. The weather is really warm and the cable is great. Good kiteboarding too in the winter if you're into that........
Don't waste your time with the west coast. It can be surprisingly cold in the winter and we don't have any real cable parks. I travel to Florida every winter.
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-13-2012, 6:46 AM Reply   
You can come to Dubaii. We have boat, cable and either real surf in Oman or this
http://youtu.be/NgC1aW_qxRA
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-13-2012, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TParke View Post
You can come to Dubaii. We have boat, cable and either real surf in Oman or this
http://youtu.be/NgC1aW_qxRA
I need to PM you...Ive been trying to relocate over there for 6mos now. Have had a few interviews but nothing panned out yet. I have a family member there moving there for work next week.
Old     (TParke)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-13-2012, 10:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
I need to PM you...Ive been trying to relocate over there for 6mos now. Have had a few interviews but nothing panned out yet. I have a family member there moving there for work next week.
Hit me up. Let me know if I can help you guys out at all.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-13-2012, 8:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustfarter View Post
South Florida.......anywhere near Deerfield beach. The waves aren't always awesome but Ski Rixen is only 15 minutes from the beach. The weather is really warm and the cable is great. Good kiteboarding too in the winter if you're into that........
Don't waste your time with the west coast. It can be surprisingly cold in the winter and we don't have any real cable parks. I travel to Florida every winter.
What do you mean there isnt cable parks on the west coast of FL?? There 2...Ft Myers & Tampa

But yes...the surf isnt good in the gulf
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-13-2012, 9:56 AM Reply   
By "west USA" is was assuming he meant the "real" west coast......as in Cali, Oregon, Washington
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-13-2012, 10:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustfarter View Post
By "west USA" is was assuming he meant the "real" west coast......as in Cali, Oregon, Washington
Haha true...well we do still get cold here during winters in FL
Old     (shino)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-13-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
Yeah by west USA I meant Cali, Oregon,... Deerfield looks good from what you said and ski rixen looks like an ok cable..
January-March is a good season for surfing ? Not to sharky out there ? :-)

Anyway thank everybody for you advice.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-13-2012, 11:17 AM Reply   
Stick to Central Florida if you are coming here. From New Smyrna Beach down to Sebastian Inlet is about the most consistent stretch of surf in the state.... and you're only about an hour from OWC and like 2.5hrs from McCormicks.

Surf averages 3-5ft wind slop during the winter months and 1-3ft dribble during the summers. We only get about 10-15 days of really quality surf every year, the majority of which falls between August and January. If you are really dedicated I'd say there is at least a little something to surf 300 days a year... but really high quality surf doesn't happen that often.

If you're going to move here, move for OWC, McCormicks, Rixen, etc... don't move for the waves.
Old     (cobra_nuggets)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-13-2012, 12:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luker View Post
Stick to Central Florida if you are coming here. From New Smyrna Beach down to Sebastian Inlet is about the most consistent stretch of surf in the state.... and you're only about an hour from OWC and like 2.5hrs from McCormicks.

Surf averages 3-5ft wind slop during the winter months and 1-3ft dribble during the summers. We only get about 10-15 days of really quality surf every year, the majority of which falls between August and January. If you are really dedicated I'd say there is at least a little something to surf 300 days a year... but really high quality surf doesn't happen that often.

If you're going to move here, move for OWC, McCormicks, Rixen, etc... don't move for the waves.
Added bonus, that area is basically the shark attack capital of the US!! +1 on not moving here for the waves.
Old     (shino)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-20-2012, 4:39 AM Reply   
In the end we might head to california for october-november. We are looking to work a bit there around SF and then head down south to Venice for a few weeks...
Is there any good 2.0 park not to fare from there ?

Than you
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-20-2012, 6:23 AM Reply   
Central Florida is pretty great... I moved down there for a few winters while I was in college.

OWC - Orlando
Projects (system 2.0) - Orlando
McCormicks - Tampa
Cocoa Beach - Cocoa has some surf
... and coming from Wisconsin I rode all winter in shorts and a vest without a problem..... they can tell you're not from around there though if you are trunking it in the winter.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-20-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
What about Hawaii? you can wakeboard and surf there
Old     (shino)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-20-2012, 11:21 AM Reply   
The thing is that I was supposed to go with my GF but in the end I'm going with two mates who are not much into wakeboarding, so we plan to go california mainly for surfing (working if we can find a job) but It would be cool if there was a system 2.0 around South California so I can still have some wakeboarding... I found Desert Place but it seems to be closed until january..?

thanks for your advices