Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old    moombaguy            08-14-2006, 11:59 AM Reply   
Is it bad to drive a "new" boat past 20 hours? I called my dealer and they are 3 weeks out on schedualing. They wont even put me on their appointment books. They told me to just call every so often to see if they can fit me in. I dont want to wait 3 weeks to ride, but I also dont want to hurt my boat! Does anyone know how long you can ride past 20 hours without hurting your boat?
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-14-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
a lot of people dont even do the 20 hr service. its mostly an oil change, so you can take it anywhere and have that done. if your oil looks good, you can certainly go longer. If nothing seems wrong then you are probably ok. i would call back and ask a tech what their recommendation is for your situation. Get the oil changed (or change it yourself) and you'll be fine.

Now why they won't put you on the books yet... something seems amiss there. Call your sales guy and tell him you won't buy a new boat if they refuse to even schedule your services. Sure 3 weeks out is normal this time of year, but to not even take an appt? Shady.
Old    bocephus            08-14-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
Mike,
Call Century Marine (480) 835-9134, they have been absolutely awesome to me! Not sure they will do it or not but it's worth a try.

I wouldn't know what to do if my dealer wouldn't get me in for three weeks. I have been to my dealer about 3 or 4 times with my new boat (twenty hour service, one warranty issue, 100 hour service, etc.) and each time they have had me in and out of there in less that 24 hours. They even gave me the same great service when I had a boat that another dealer sold me. I don't know about you guys but the dealer was one of my main concerns when I bought my boat. I originally wanted a Sanger, since it fit my budget better, but I heard the local dealer was terrible.

I would like to make one suggestion to anyone thinking about buying a new boat in the Phoenix valley or anywhere else for that matter. Go buy a boat trader magazine or check online, call the people who have the boats for sale from manufacturers that you are considering, tell them right up front that you are not going to buy their boat but are looking at new boats. Ask them what problems they have had and how the local dealer dealt with them. I called probably 100+ people when I bought my boat. I ended up buying a boat from the dealer who had ZERO complaints! The dealer's reputation and past performance meant a ton to me. This is a perfect example why, when you drop all the coin for a new boat you should get good service too. My dealer seems to treat me the same way if I bought a new boat from them or not.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-14-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
Mike,

You don't need to go to your dealer's location. You can go to any Indmar certified repair location. I didn't like the local Moomba service department so I simply took my boat to one of the competitors because they use Indmar as well. You don't risk anything as far as warranty and you get your boat done.
Old    moombaguy            08-14-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
Thanks Bocephus,

Century Marine has got me in today! That is great service!
Old    bocephus            08-14-2006, 1:02 PM Reply   
Sure no problem! I can't tell you how happy I am with them.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-14-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
I had to wait a week ½ to get mine in for the 20 hr check; by the time I got it there I had 38 hrs on it, its all good,
Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-14-2006, 4:04 PM Reply   
I had to make sure I did mine in order to keep my warranty.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       08-14-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
My service guy said the 20 hr service is too much. I just had mine done at 60 hrs because I didn't notice the hours until 40 or so and it took a couple weeks to get it in. He said oil was fine, etc....so not to worry. Keep an eye on your oil and as long as its clean you will be safe with 50 hrs. My opinion, and my reps opinion so don't get all crazy here fellas.........
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-14-2006, 10:00 PM Reply   
yeah just check the oil..that is all i did...i havent gone in for a service yet and have 75 hours on the boat
Old    bocephus            08-14-2006, 10:14 PM Reply   
ya Mike, don't worry about a drive line alignment check or any of the other things on a 20 hour service....

Nice advice everyone, keep it coming and I will do the opposite. A good way to protect the $50K investment...
Old     (3domfighter)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-15-2006, 9:01 PM Reply   
HA! You called a boat an investment. LOL
Old    moombaguy            08-15-2006, 9:15 PM Reply   
Hey Bocephus,

You were right... Century Marine did a great job and had it back to me the same day. Thanks for the referral.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-15-2006, 10:30 PM Reply   
Bo you already traded in your san for a sanger?
Old    bigrich            08-16-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
IMO The 20 hour service is the most important. The initial break in of your engine (v-drive and trans) will leave minute metal particles (normal)
in the oil. I feel it is important to change the oils after initial break in. I did mine at 12,29,and again at 62 hours. Got about 90 now and getting ready to do it again. Cheap insurance in my book especially if you can do it yourself. However I did let the dealer do the first one so they could supposedly check drive align etc....
Old    bocephus            08-16-2006, 7:51 AM Reply   
Good to hear Mike! Century Marine has always been great to me and I highly recommend them to anyone and everyone! They have always had me in and out within the 24 hours. They are tops in my book!

No on the Sanger but I guess my buddy just bougth one who uses this login too.