Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (val_cal)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-31-2012, 9:19 PM Reply   
I am looking into getting a road bike. I have never rode one before. I currently ride a mountain bike. I want to buy a cheap starter bike. I prefer to buy used so I could get something better for the money. How do I know if it is the right fit? I was thinking of spending around 350 but I don't see much newer stuff in that price on Craigslist.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-01-2012, 1:50 AM Reply   
How tall are you, what's your leg length from the floor to your hip joint?
Old     (val_cal)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-01-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
30"
Old     (Mahoney86)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-01-2012, 7:26 AM Reply   
Ive raced road bikes for years. How much do you plan on riding? Personally I would go to a bike shop and look at bikes, ask to be fitted on a bike. Keep track of the size frame that they put you on. Most companies are in CM sizes (56cm, 58cm etc... ) though some compaies use M,L, XL but they still list what dimensions the frames are.

Roadbikes are just like wakeboarding, theyre super expensive... Id say $350 is really stretching it unless youre looking at some old bike that is shaped like a road bike. Most entry level road bikes start out at around $750 or so, so i would say your looking closer in the $500 for a used bike. Check out your local bike shops, a lot of them do cosignment sales and sell trade ins sometimes. How tall are you?
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-01-2012, 8:01 AM Reply   
That is a tough price point. Given your inseam length there will be lots of bikes out there at some point. Just keep at it, you will find a deal.

I agree with the getting fit at a shop or two idea. You need to try out different makes, models, and styles to see what you want.

An idea is to look for a use single speed bike. You should be able find something like a Raleigh Rush Hour in that price range. Great frame and fork, ok bits. Ride it free to start with. You might be surprised how much fun not having gears is, and it's a great work out. I had a Rush Hour that I used to ride on the road, moderate single track, and ever raced cyclocross on it. That bike took it all in stride. I sold it for $250 and the dude with it is still abusing it on a regular basis.
Old     (val_cal)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-01-2012, 12:40 PM Reply   
I was doing some looking and found this is thus a good bike to start with
http://stockton.craigslist.org/bik/3136231725.html
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-01-2012, 12:43 PM Reply   
I bought a leftover Jamis Ventura Sport for 400 bucks new this year. While not an amazing bike it has done the trick to get me started in the sport. It came with the SORA / 2300 shifters and they do the trick. So it can be done in that price range.