Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-11-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
we have allot of hours on Melones but never House boated there. From experience what are the good coves and stay away from coves?
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-11-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
we will be out there on Friday and Sat so I can look to see where the water is at some of the better spots....the water for boarding is always better up river past the bridges , but that is not the best location for a houseboat....if you are familar with the lake and know where the slalom course is there is always good coves along that side of the lake for houseboats, it is just the opposite direction of the glassy water....When are you going?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-11-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
We normally board just pass the second bridge, we were there 2 weeks ago and there were still plenty of tree branches poking out in that area. From what I have seen, a great spot for a HB is in the cove on the right just as you make the left hand turn just before the second bridge.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-11-2010, 1:31 PM Reply   
Don't remember where the salom course is?
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-11-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
Yeah that is a good spot...another really great one is past the first bridge, when you are getting close to the floating bathrooms...if you veer toward the right.....there is a smaller cover at the edge of the river there that kind of winds back...there are some trees sometimes poking up up plenty of space for a HB and less steep to get onshore if you want....and that whole area around there is good water, and close to the second bridge and great water past that.

The slalom course is off to the left of the tuttletown launch ramp...it is at the other end of the lake...when we were out two weekends ago on a sunday the wind was really bad and so we cruised that way to get out of the main body...if you stay toward the left edge of the lake there are all kinds of coves and nice places that are protected, if you go that way and head past the other set of floating bathrooms and keep heading up the cove it is a really long protected area with a bunch of little coves in it....we have gone there a bunch and it is usually hidden from people who don't know about it.

When we head out fri/sat I can keep an eye out for you maybe take some pics if I remember.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-11-2010, 3:29 PM Reply   
the only floating bathrooms I seen past the first bridge was when you start going around the left hand bend to the second bridge. That is the area I believe is a great spot (devils cove).

If I am looking at a map what area are you talking about because I am lost trying find what you are a talking about, we mostly stay up towards the bridges.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-11-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
Ok I think I see the coves you are talking about.
Never explore the area to the left past the bridge, is it a good spot for HB and protected from the wind for boarding? More of a creature of habit and satyed by the second bridge..
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-11-2010, 10:18 PM Reply   
The other coves I was talking about by the slalom course are on the other side of the lake...past the dam. If you were launching from tuttletown ( not the houseboat docks, the other one), instead of heading right and going up river under the bridges you would veer left around the island that juts out and go into the inlet and follow the curve of the lake....all along that side of the lake for miles there are coves and huge inlets that are protected and empty.

I hope that helps a bit.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-12-2010, 1:41 PM Reply   
That does help. any under water hazards in that area? does it get blocked pretty good from the wind?
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-12-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
it seemed a few weeks ago there were less hazards in that area, some trees poking out but less loose debris than up river. There are a lot of coves and many of them are wind protected for boarding......although the best water is still up river. We have sometimes put a HB on that side and just taken the other boat up river when we want to board, it is about a 20 min cruise....
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-13-2010, 4:14 PM Reply   
Thank you, going to try and scout that area this sat if possible.
Old     (Kaikane)      Join Date: May 2010       05-13-2010, 9:49 PM Reply   
Hi Kenny & Meghan...new to the forum. Kenny, I always see a lot of housebouts on the south side of the lake past the damn. If the water is up there are some nice private coves to park. We usually head that way with our crew since the beaches are nicer down that side as well. Let me know how the water level/temp is looking.
Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-15-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
Hey Kenny we are going to be in that area SAT(today) as well launching about noon....
we were on the south side of the lake past the damn all day yesterday and t was GLASS , with one other boat the whole day....perfect. I will try and post some pics tomm.....maybe we will see you out there today by chance...if you read this...we are the white and red centurion bowrider, red bimini black tower.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-18-2010, 8:22 PM Reply   
Meghan it was nice too meet you on Sat.