Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (stwake)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
who out there doesn't wear a CGA vest on waterways that require one to be wore? just wondering if it is really that big of a deal or not.}
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-21-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
I don't, JP A-10 outlaw all the way. There is a decent chance of getting a ticket if the police do an equipment check.
Old     (stwake)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2007, 8:51 PM Reply   
how much is the ticket? i have heard they hit you up with for a grand for every violation.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-21-2007, 9:10 PM Reply   
got a falcon a couple months ago...

road w/ it today, was floating like a charm, its great! i'd suggest it to anyone
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-21-2007, 9:20 PM Reply   
i think its more like a $160 fine in washington.
Old    pincushion            04-21-2007, 9:30 PM Reply   
What options for CGA vests are out there?
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-21-2007, 9:35 PM Reply   
$70 fine in florida
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
Why would you not wear one? does it really slow you down that much?
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-21-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
I wear Jet Pilot Stance. It is comfy and is CGA. I have only used one Non CGA and it was a JP A-10 and it didn't float me very well. I had to work to keep my head above water. I didn't feel very safe in it.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2007, 9:54 PM Reply   
Mine is a J/P Stance too. It even fits under my drysuit. I have rode w/o a jacket using only my drysuit as floatation, it does feel less restrictive, but if youre going big, ya better have a back up plan. its a long time before the boat comes back around.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-21-2007, 9:57 PM Reply   
cga always. Had too many skiing falls that saved me with one.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-21-2007, 11:36 PM Reply   
CGA, mostly because I ride in water with no visibility. Once you get used to it it's fine. 90 percent of my riding is passing the handle too.
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-21-2007, 11:46 PM Reply   
I love the Jet Pilot Cellblock and the Hyperlite Parks, they are both CGA approved.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       04-22-2007, 12:05 AM Reply   
i ride an oneill vapor and i feels it flots me just fine. i compared it to my older cga vest and i floated maybe an inch or 2 deeper. that being sad i will probally get the oniell law when this vest wears out.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-22-2007, 5:39 AM Reply   
Try the Jet Pilot Murray Full Metal Jacket. We put everyone in them at the camp and everyone loves them.

If you are wearing an A-10 or even that vapor, I want you to do a little test for me next time you go out. Float in the water with your board off, don't move your arms and legs, and blow all your air out. I have yet to see one person whose head didn't go completely under water. Now think about being knocked out with one gulp of water in your lungs. It just doesn't make sense.

Most people don't think it is a big deal, but most people have not seen that type of situation with a rider knocked out. It is scary. And, most people in the boat freeze up in those situations. I see it on the tour a couple times a year. Without fail I am the first guy on the platform or in the water, and I am driving the boat. People just sit there in shock. It's really not worth the chance.
Old     (stwake)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-22-2007, 5:54 AM Reply   
thanks everyone.. i think the CGA vest is the way to go.. what does everyone think about the LF CGA... are there any side entry CGA?
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-22-2007, 5:55 AM Reply   
Quik Ignite. Love it. It's like wearing a t-shirt.
Old     (wakeman7)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-22-2007, 6:02 AM Reply   
I wear a oniel outlaw and when I blow all my air out without my board it floats my mouth above the water
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-22-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
helium swat side entry cgas look tite!
im gonna get one for anyone else on the boat that wants a pretty nice jacket

go to overtons...search helium and you'll find it but don't take the mediums! i still have to order one
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-22-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
The JP Cell Block is a side-entry. I have one and love it. Buy it a size smaller though.

Never ridden in the JP Shaun Murray but when I tried one on at the Pro Shop it felt comfortable and not restrictive at all.

I considered a NonCGA but there's no way it's going to improve my riding and the comfort of the added flexability's not going to offset the discomfort of not feeling safe.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-22-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
CGA is the only way to go when you are sitting in the water with a double compound fracture. I used to ride non-cga all the time, but thankfully switched over a few months before my injury. I'll never ride non CGA again.
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-22-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
At the beginning of the season the patrol always checks our boat for pfd's. If they find a uscga will you get a tivket or is it just if you're riding with one?
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-22-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
oops, I meant ticket.
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       04-22-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
only if your riding because they have no proof that you are using it as a pfd but they will warn you that its not legal to ride with if they notice its non uscg. my head floats above thew water with the vapor with all my air out
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-22-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
Texas doesn't require the rider to wear a vest at all, but mine is non CGA
Old     (josh_r_skater)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-22-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
i like ride with out a vest maybe just a wetsuit top
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-22-2007, 11:09 AM Reply   
CGA all the way. The size difference in the CGA and the non-CGA vests is not worth the risk to me. Like Kenneth said, a smaller vest probably won't make me a better rider.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-22-2007, 11:11 AM Reply   
I dont rock a CGA vest, MN doesnt require one.
Old    kidrik            04-22-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
Could the elite wakeboarders in the world still break out their arsenal of tricks wearing a CGA vest?

To each his own, but for me, it's not the "vest" that will help or hinder my progression.......
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-22-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
CGA All The Way. For the ones who think your NCGA vest will float you, you are not testing it properly. Fill your lungs with water and see if it floats you then. Even when you think you exhale all your air, you still have about 10-20% still in there.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-22-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
Rick,

I think they can, Josh Sanders and Colin Wright wear CGA Helium Vests
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-22-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   
I wear a non-approved during the winter/spring when I'm wearing a heater top. The extra neoprene from the heater top helps to float me just fine. In the warmer months when the heater top isn't needed I wear an approved vest.

Something I found interesting was the other day when I was watching Nomads: Wakeboard Hero, on RUSH HD (Dish Network channel). This episode was focused on Andrew Atkison. During the shots of him riding on his off days, just fooling around with his friends, Andrew was wearing an approved vest. I thought that said something about the need for an approved vest when a pro wears one when he's just free riding.
Old    kidrik            04-22-2007, 6:29 PM Reply   
Thanks Andy....yeh, I was being sarcastic, however didn't know which pros actually did wear them. My point was that I don't think it matters either way, iffin' you got the skillzzzz.... (I know my luck, and choose to wear The Law...)

I heard that if you wear a non-CGA vest, that it improves your switch riding tremendously!