Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-17-2005, 11:09 PM Reply   
Took over 20 riders out in the past two days. Include pro and amateur riders that currenty ride behind, X2, SAN, X-Star, VLX, LSV.. and some others...

These were some of the quotes from these riders/owners...

"I have ridden behind everything and that is the biggest wake I have ever seen!"

"I have never had my a$$ kicked som much by a wake."

"I would never admit it... but that wake scared me."

Old    the_skeptic            07-18-2005, 1:19 AM Reply   
Pic looks good, so what boat is it????
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-18-2005, 5:05 AM Reply   
Sky Supreme V220?
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2005, 8:40 AM Reply   
No this is not my Supreme V220. This is a boat I am hoping to buy. I have test driven over 50 boats over the past two years... and after seeing the subtle differences in wake sizes and shapes... decided to buy my Supreme. I am very happy with it... but after driving this boat that I used all weekend... it is CRAZY. It is so solid... and they wake is bigger than anything I have ever seen. It is truly amazing. When first riding it, you get very frustrated because it kicks you so hard. Your second and third rides are much better. The wake is super big, clean and extremely hard.

I am not exagerating... when I had this boat on the lake... I called all the boat owners I knew...

2005 X-Star
2004 X-2
2004 LSV
and many more....

They could not believe it.

There is a trim tab on the boat so you can mellow the lip... we ran half of the 3500lbs of ballast... and 6 people in the boat...

The picture doesnt show how big and thick this wake is...

But going back to my boat with 2500lbs of ballast... it was a huge difference...

Not taking anything away from my boat... but wow... this was amazing.

If there are wakeboarders out there... who truly believe they are hardcore wakeboarders...

You will have to get yourself behind one of these boats... or behind mine when I get mine built...

Will keep you informed...

By the way... guys were riding anywhere from 21-23mph with 75-90 foot ropes...

I am not an advanced rider... so I had the trim tab mellow out the lip for me... so of the pro's and top amateurs had to get it mellowed out for the first set to get used to the wake...
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-18-2005, 8:45 AM Reply   
.... and the boat is?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
Could this be a Session boat thread again?
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-18-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
Why would you ever need 3500 lbs of ballast? Seriously, the hull could use some tweaking if you need that much weight in any boat. A new X-Star needs stock ballast plus another 1200, tops, if there are only three people in the boat, and I would be happy riding stock ballast only. The pros who ride behind X-Stars don't put near that much weight in them, maybe stock ballast plus 1500. After being in X-stars so long now, with only 850 lbs. stock, it makes me curious about other manufacturers having so much more.

(Message edited by lukewtwt on July 18, 2005)
Old    zboomer            07-18-2005, 9:01 AM Reply   
Wake looks good, I'm guessing this is a plug for the new Epic? I've read it will have a huge ballast sytem.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2005, 9:06 AM Reply   
it's the new Epic boat. Sick ass boat made by Chris Anthony. Didn't get to try the wake, but the boat drives really well. Just seeing the lip on that wake and the big table top gives it away.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
Luke ~ I know a pro that puts all most 3000lbs on top of the stock ballast in his X-star. Nick and Julz put close to that amount too in there x-star. Most core wakeboarders put at least 2000lbs in there boats so a boat coming stock with a 3200lbs stock ballast system is a smart move.

In all the comps I've been too when they use the X-star they are running way more than 1200lbs on top of the stock ballast.

The X-star wake is great, but add 2000lbs on top of the stock and the wake is AWESOME. I guess to each his own.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-18-2005, 9:35 AM Reply   
I feel a little dirty about this plug... Almost like I was just part of an Amway meeting. Tell us more about the boat. Are you getting a heck of a deal to put this plug out.... I will take your word on it, but by not giving details or your affiliation with the product is making it a very dirty sales pitch...
Come on tell more and give us pics.... Must be something good, cause if I remember you just got your boat last summer....
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2005, 10:02 AM Reply   
Not a dirty plug... Just after test driving so many boats over the last two years... I didn't really think there was much more a boat builder could do to develop a bigger wake other than the boat owner playing around with weight etc. But then I got out behind this and it was crazy...

I also found when I was test driving boats... I took 4 fat sacks with me to every test drive... and a couple of friends... and that is how I test drove boats...

It was always difficult at the end of the day to say which handled better... which had the nicest wake... etc... Because in all of the high end boats... they all performed well... there were just some subtle differences...

So when it came down to it for me... I went with prices and fit and finish... those were the type of things I could remember... where as the performance side fo things... were difficult to say which was better... (unless it was a complete failure)

But this wake... I have a friend with an 05 XStar... and he has now gone out and got some sacks to try and get it just as big... it is funny...

As for pro's and their X-Stars... There is a reason why the pro's are working on their swimming skills... when they fall at a Pro Tour event.. they are swimming as far back as possible.. so they can give the boat enough time to plane out... at the Kelowna stop... the boat didn't plane out till it was half way through the course... They had to get rid of the weight!

I am not affiliated with any wakeboard boat company... just a passion... and a passion is where it ends... because I suck at this sports... but love to get others involved and excited about this sport.

I believe one of the most exciting thing about this sport... is how much air can you get... and the bigger the wake and the stronger the pull... hopefully helps people going bigger.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-18-2005, 10:14 AM Reply   
OK Point blank----
Why are you not posting details on the boat? I am confused...
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
Diggs ~ What details do you want to know. I can try to answer some. I have allot of pics of the boat but I would need Chris' approval before I post any.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
I was given the opportunity to invite a bunch of friends out to ride behind this boat... This was a prototype and will be in production in the next couple of weeks... but since I know nothing about how and why the boat works so well... or what changes may be made i the production model... I leave that to the boat builder...

I am just a person who enjoys riding...

I don't want to ruffle feathers by speaking on behalf of the boat builder...

I was just impressed when I got to ride behind this monsterous wake...

I want this boat now...
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-18-2005, 11:01 AM Reply   
This is the most pointless thread I have ever read on WakeWorld. Post up or shut up. Either mention the boat or don't post at all.

I do feel like I am in some kind of Amway meeting after reading this thread.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       07-18-2005, 11:10 AM Reply   
The epic is the only boat out there with that much stock ballast. And it looks like a SoCal pic too. I'm w/ you Ant.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2005, 11:28 AM Reply   
Very Funny... Kyle gets soo excited... I was happy to take the guys out and show them the boat. I saw a lot of great riding and received some nice feedback on the boat that will be included in future production boats. They had a lot better water than AntBug and crew in San Diego :-( Sorry guys. We will hit it hard when I pass back through with one of our production boats. Anyways, the wake is from the Epic 23v prototype. We are starting our first production runs next week and are very excited, along with Kyle, to get these boats out to riders. We have heard nothing but good things about the wake, styling and performance. Changes will be made for the production models but the general specs for the first production boats are:

Specs:
Hull length 22' 9"
Beam 98"
Seating 14 people
Approximate Weight 3,300lbs
Fuel Capacity 65 gallons

Standard:
PCM ZR6 (375 hp, MPI, closed cooled)
Resin Infused Hull
Full Blend Gel-Coat
Fiberglass Composite Liner
Lighting: LED Navigational and Interior
5" Faria Instrumentation
Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro
Stereo System: CD/MP3 Player, 2 Remotes, 6 Speaker Interior, 4 Speaker Transom Audio
Swivel Driver Bucket with Bolster
Auto 3 Tank Ballast System (4100lbs)
Fully Adjustable Trim Plate
Heater: Interior with 3 Outlets
Shower: Transom Mounted with Hot Water
Transom Mounted Boot Loober
On/Off Battery Switch with Dual Batteries
Tower with 2 Board Racks and Removable Mirror
Fiberglass Swim Step

Options:
Bimini Top
Powered Subwoofer
Drivers side I-Pod Dock

MANUFACTURER'S STRONGLY SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE:
$50,000

I'll try to address any questions people may have, but I am really busy with Manufacturing details right now so please be patient for any answers. Also, anyone that has been behind her can feel free to share their feelings on the boat and performance. We are trying to make the best Wake Boat out there, so all suggestions are welcome, and thanks for the positive comments on the boat Kyle. I hope everyone is as stocked as you are once they get a taste of the Epic 23v :-)
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-18-2005, 11:29 AM Reply   
I really....would like to see pic...tures of this awesom....e boat.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-18-2005, 11:29 AM Reply   
ahh, there it is. Thanks Chris!

(Message edited by tonality on July 18, 2005)
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-18-2005, 11:33 AM Reply   
How are you dealing with the weight of the fuel cell? Have you got it in the exact center of the boat, or will the wake shape change as fuel is burned? Size changes are fine, but if it's not in the middle, fuel consumption will alter the shape, and that's a BIG eff'n tank!

I remember when i saw that on the new 23' MB's..65 gallons of gas. Monstrous.

Wake looks slick! Where do I get in line, and who's going to be your Texas retailer/dealer?
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-18-2005, 11:52 AM Reply   
4100lbs!!!! That's is an awesome acheivement. Congrats on getting the boat into production. Are the tanks setup so you can adjust the ballast for wakesurfing, or do you even need to with that much weight? Wake looks impressive in the picture. Any trips to Washington planned?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-18-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
Thank you for posting the boat Chris. 4100 lbs..wow!
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-18-2005, 2:02 PM Reply   
Ant Bug,
When I was in Orlando in May, riding with Andrew Adkison behind his X-Star (as he, Danny Harf, and Rusty were preparing for the next tour stop, "core wakeboarders" all around) there was not that much weight over the stock ballast, probably 1500 lbs. That would bring the total to around 2300 lbs. I am curious as to why anyone else would run more weight than that, since it doesn't benefit anything (performance goes downhill and wake won't improve that much) and since these guys who are trying to imitate comp conditions aren't using that much.

Since I have spend a lot of time behind the X-Star with lots of different weighting configurations, HUGE ballast systems don't impress me anymore, because with a good hull you don't need them. I am much more impressed by a boat that doesn't need all the weight to provide a big, pro-size wake, like 2000 lbs total or less. That's why I really like the X-Star, and have heard good things about the Supra 21V with about 2000 lbs. What you mentioned is just overkill.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2005, 2:04 PM Reply   
4100lbs....is that even possible with just water?
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
Luke ~ Agreed. Those 3 pros (2 share a boat) run that much weight, not everyone. And as I stated most core wakeboarder run about 2000lbs so we agree there as well. I may have over exaggerated with the part about running WAY over 1200lbs on top of the stock in comps. I guess right around 1200-1500 over sounds right.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-18-2005, 2:28 PM Reply   
4100lbs = 492gal = 113652in3 = 65.77ft3 It's possible you just gotta find the room. I'm curious how much storage the boat has with that much ballast taking up space.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2005, 2:31 PM Reply   
Chris ~ can I post some pics?
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-18-2005, 2:49 PM Reply   
Do it Ant... break the rules once we wont tell.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-18-2005, 2:50 PM Reply   
I mean after all you guys already posted what the product produces, you might as well show the product.
~Tyler~
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
Tyler ~ I have nothing to do with Epic. I was just lucky enough to demo the boat. Chris will need to give me the thumbs up 1st.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2005, 2:57 PM Reply   
or better yet.....where are gonna sit?? LOL
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
LUKE, you hit the nail on the head.. "HUGE ballast systems don't impress me anymore, because with a good hull you don't need them"

Most hulls are designed to decrease the amount of running surface in the water, so adding more and more weight... will usually affect the shape of the wake and the performance and handling of the boat.

The EPIC HULL is like no other. When they are more readily available... crawl underneath and take a look... TOTALLY DIFFERENT...

You don't have to run with all of the weight... but this boat is designed for the hardcore wakeboarder... Designed to produce massive nice shaped wakes...

I can't wait to see what the wake will be like fully loaded... we had it half full...

You may not be impressed but I think some will... bottom line.... this boat throws a massive wake...

A friend just bought an X-Star for $82,000cdn... and still adds weight...

My thinking is... if I am buying the most expensive "wakeboard specific boat" then I should be able to launch, press a couple of switches to fill the ballast... and then ride... not have to carry pumps and sacks...

The EPIC... we just backed up into the lake... jumped in... and rode....

When we were done.... took a hose and sprayed it off... inside and out...

Can't get much simpler than that...

Spend more time riding... less time with sacks, cleaning, maintaining... etc...

My thoughts...

Biggest wake I have ever seen, no more screwing around with sacks and pumps, easy to access ballast pumps and easy maintenance... and costs less than other boats I have considered in the past...

What works for me... may not work for others... but I like it...

Not looking for people to get defensive or put down other boats...

This is my new favourite.}
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2005, 2:59 PM Reply   
Go to www.epicboats.com
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2005, 3:55 PM Reply   
Just got off the phone with Chris Anthony and he gave me the ok to post pics. When I get home I will re-size some and post.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-18-2005, 4:00 PM Reply   
the boat is going to surprise a lot of people out there. its ride, wake, storage and seating area...even doubters will say, "damn! sick boat!"

chris, when are we making the trip down south?
Old    bighitbiker3            07-18-2005, 6:53 PM Reply   
When you guys gonna come up to washington. Im kind of in the market for a new boat and that boat sounds sick.
Old    wickedwake            07-18-2005, 8:28 PM Reply   
I really like the look of the boat. From the blunt nose to the seating arrangement...The wake looks sick too. I cant wait to see one in person.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   

Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2005, 9:08 PM Reply   

Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-18-2005, 9:11 PM Reply   

Old    akman            07-18-2005, 9:16 PM Reply   
Saw the boat in person a few weeks back......it is freaking huge.

Just food for thought.....

3300lbs dryweight + 4100lbs of ballast + 65 gallons of fuel (520lbs) add to that a big engine 375hp, plus gear and people, what do you get.........

8,500lbs of gas guzzling wakeboard boat.....

10 minutes to fill a few sacks is no big deal and who cares how long it takes to empty them.........your done riding right?

$50,000 suggested retail........so what you are saying is add 7.75% and you get rough and dirty depending on where you live $54K for a new boat.

I would take a proven boat like a Supra 21V, Sanger V210 or a used (1 or 2 years old) SAN and have money left over........

What kind of warranty will the boat come with?

Who is the trailer manufacturer?

Where will your dealerships be located?

Just my .02

Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2005, 9:58 PM Reply   
Hey GRAMPS... I hear what you are saying... I don't worry so much about who builds the hull... but how the hull is built... as for other components to the boat... all the parts are proven... PCM powerplant, Faria, etc... the list goes on... so the way I look at it... I want the best wake... and to me... this has been the best wake I have seen to date...

If it was ALL about being cost concious... I would take up bird watching... not wakeboarding... it is an expensive sport... thats a fact... when I run out of money... I will have a brand new spotting scope and take up bird watching... less injuries too.

I hope we can have this same post 10 years from now... and Epic will be the proven boat and some other new boat builder can try and overcome these challenges that I am sure Epic will do for years to come.

It is always great when someone new comes to the market.

It does not appear to be a mass market boat... it is a specialty boat... catering to "hardcore wakeboarders".

All the other companies go cater to the mass market... hitting price points, functionality.. etc...

So the fact that Epic has stated "hardcore wakeboard boat"... it definitely measures up to that... it throws a big sick wake...

The stereo is insanely loud and clear from hundreds of feet away...

A friend got off of the boat... walked to the parking lot and still heard the stereo... then what shocked him more... was when he got into his car and drove away... he thought he had ihis stereo on... then looked down.. and the face plate was off... the stereo he was hearing was from the Epic.

This isn't for the mild.... it is for people looking for the sickest wake out there...

There would be no sense in bringing a new boat to the market that was the same as everything else...

This is different...

You have to try it...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-18-2005, 10:12 PM Reply   
That is a lot of weight. I guess I'm a little fuzzy on how it gets up on plane with all that weight. My boat has an engine with about the same horsepower and it weighs about the same before adding ballast. However, I'm pretty sure that if I add 4000 lbs of ballast, I'm not going to get up on plane before my kids are in college. Is there something special like hull shape that helps in this area?

By the way, the boat looks incredible. I just got the new Alliance and the Epic ad is awesome!
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2005, 10:36 PM Reply   
GRAMPS... LUKE....

I think most are getting carried away with the ballast amounts.

You can fill the tanks all the way up.. or just a little... it all depends on how much you want to fill them... There are guages to tell you how much in each tank...

So it is great if you have no friends... fill them all the way up... if you have lots of friends... just use it to kick it up a notch...

I am sure glad Chris didn't post a top speed of 45mph... then some might wonder... "how do I wakeboard at 45mph" simple... pull back the trottle until the speed decreases to 22mph...

Chris seems to be very approachable... if you want to test out an Epic... I am sure he can show you how everything works on the boat... how the ballast can be used for 0lbs or.. up to 4000lbs... it is all how you fill the ballast...

The way I look at it... it is alway nice to have an option of adding more weight without taking up storage space... I HATE SACS!!!

When the boat comes out... just load it up and give it a try...

Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-18-2005, 10:43 PM Reply   
Hey who's shoe print on the nose of the boat??? C'mon only bare feet. Absolutely sick looking boat. The all black makes it look like the stealth bomber of wakeboard boats. I bet it would look pretty sweet with all white hull and the epic graphic. I would like to see how it looks with a fully loaded tower (speakers, lights, bimini). Joe you've ridden them all, what wake does this compare to?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-18-2005, 11:14 PM Reply   
Chris...the specs changed dramatically. A month ago the boat weighed 4300lbs and the ballast was 3200lbs. Now the boat wieghs 3300lbs and the ballast is 4100lbs. Is it safe for the boat to have more ballast then the actual weight of the boat.

Also Chris, what about dealers on the East? We are looking for a new boat in a year and Epic might be on the list. Will I be able to get one in Louisiana or Texas?
Old    bruky__            07-18-2005, 11:43 PM Reply   
The cushions look like they came out of a Pro-V.

Awesome looking boat, BTW. I'd love to take a few sets behind one of those...maybe in a few years when they're available to the public!

Good work guys, that deserves some props.
Old    grud8            07-18-2005, 11:59 PM Reply   
Nice MC knock-off on the front end...looks like a filled in pickle-fork. The wake behind my X-45 is bigger than that with stock ballast and no extra weight added. What's all the fuss about?
Old    zboomer            07-19-2005, 6:11 AM Reply   
All these specs are cool and all, but the photo I want to see is the USCG plate, showing the boat has a capacity of 14 people on top of 4100 lbs ballast.

Boat = 3300 lbs.
Ballast = 4100 lbs.
Fuel = 400 lbs.
People = 2100 lbs. (14x150).
Gear = 500 lbs. (or whatever)

Boat = 10,400 lbs. I don't see how this setup would get USCG approval. The numbers don't seem to add up.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-19-2005, 8:02 AM Reply   
Ryan ~ hahaha I didn't even notice that. It's not mine!

Leo ~ Chris changed the ballast due to the fact that the boat is going to weigh 1000lbs less.

Barefooter ~ how so? I don't see what you are talking about. It's just a blunt nose.

Boomer ~ cause the boat is over 21' it doesn't need one (or maybe cause it's over 22').
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-19-2005, 8:10 AM Reply   
nice looking rig, and the wake looks big and clean. any pics of the dash, bottom of the hull, or the ballast setup?

as far as planing - i think Kyle said it has a trim tab? that would help with planing, and i'd think a truly wake specific boat would be propped WAY down.

like the Titan I tower back in '00 or whatever, the blunt nose is growing on me, and it absolutely does not look like a filled-in pickle fork to me.

capacity ratings are not required for boats over 21' long.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-19-2005, 8:38 AM Reply   
barefooter for life, I would like to see some wake pics of your 45.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-19-2005, 8:42 AM Reply   
So if I am correct this is a prototype boat of the intended EPIC series of wakeboard boats that will hopefully hit market in a year or two, as soon as investors and production is arranged, right??

First off, hat's off to the guys who are putting all their energy and dreams into creating a boat from the ground up for wakeboarding. It's nice to see and hopefully you will be able to push the limits of what can be done for a wakeboard boat. I am jealous, sounds like the most fun thing to do ever. Never doubt a small or startup companies ambition and vision, it's how just about all boardsports evolved, and keep evolving.

I dig the boat, and here's my $0.02:

Split the rear hatch for storage, that's a given on a good wakeboard boat. Those rear storage areas are soooo key for rider convenience.

Design your own tower, with a trademark look to it, spend alot of time getting the best design. You can tell what kind of boat you are looking at without even looking below the deck. Tube With some integrated billet.

Teak deck option for us purists!!

I like the blunt nose too, that's part of the signature look. How about a slight radius on the blunt instead of just a straight line?? It looks a bit like an afterthought, or that the designer just got stuck or forgot about it. Keep the transition lines flowing from the blunt into the keel and sides.

Lot's of graphic options, Tribal, Simple, Stealthy plain, let people add their taste to it by graphic choices.

I design product for a living and often have to emulate the competition. We are small when compared to our competition, but we can move faster and make quick decisions. I wish all the guys at epic the best of luck. It looks like you got a pretty darn nice wake going, so it's all downhill from there.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-19-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
Hey Flux

The rear deck is divided into three deck lids. You can fit a couple of people in each one too.

Chris is looking into tower designs... I have to say though... After owning some pretty elaborate towers... that old Titan is sure strong and offers great visibility and easy to get around when moving around the boat.

As for graphics... you need to see the boat in person... it is not all black...

They have used a unique spray pattern to fade the black... all of the areas you step on... don't get hot... they are actually almost white... can't tell from the pictures.

Also.. the bottom fades into a charcoal gray...

It is very unique... I think with the color fade combinations they have planned... and with the blunt nose... should be unique enough to know it is the EPIC boat on the lake.

Production is almost underway... you will see these boats ont he lake soon...

I hope to get mine within a month or so.

Can't wait...

(Message edited by hamkj on July 19, 2005)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-19-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
i'd also like to see those X45 stock wake pics.

i think the Titan tower goes with the rest of the understated-but-functional design trend on this boat.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-19-2005, 9:50 AM Reply   
Will the LED lights be offered in different colors. Say someone goes with blue accents on the interior would they get blue LED? Pics never seem to do a wake justice in my book, but bring on the X45 pics just for show.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-19-2005, 9:51 AM Reply   
Right on Kyle, just some suggestions but I really like the boat (I like just about every wake boat!!).

The hardest part of any design and manufacturing process is making a decision and sticking with it!!
Old    grud8            07-19-2005, 10:49 AM Reply   
I'm going out this weekend. Check back on this thread next week and I will post some pics similar to the ones you posted for comparison.

As for the front end. It looks like they widened the front seating compartment by widening the nose in the same fashion as a MC. Without the pickle-fork design. IMO
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-19-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
seams like a dumb question but are there drains in the back area where the binding lube, shower and transom remote are? Seems like that would get flooded everytime you slow down.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-19-2005, 11:33 AM Reply   
man....every time i see it I like it more and more!

That graphic is SLICK. the nose is growing on me. Tower could use some ingenuity (and you can't have too much billet IMO :-) but overall an awesome boat.

I know I've asked this before as well Jason, but Chris, how are you keeping water out of the rear speakers and play area?

Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
I guess the BIG question is about the ballast. I am a firm believer in not having to waste a lot of time in boat maintenance and prep for wakeboarding. All the weight you could EVER need is what we are shooting for. We want a new rider to hop in with the tanks empty and have a great ride, an intermediate rider to fill the tanks to half and learn some new skills, and a pro to say "Fill Er Up" and be on his/her way to breaking new ground in the sport. If you EVER need more than 4100lbs of ballast than you are either crazy good, or just crazy... For the people have commented on the styling; we have tried to make the boat's style match its wake and utilitarianism. It has an aggressive but clean look that I really like, but it may not be for everyone. The styling will change a bit in the production models, most noticeably in the interior elements with a lot more molded pieces and a little more wrapped appearance to the vinyl. We have a LONG road ahead of us here at Epic, but people seem to be really taking to the boat when the get to ride behind her. Our first boats will be rolling out by month end and hopefully we will be in your area soon to provide a pull or two :-) We have found a great manufacturer and investors to help us get things rolling quickly and things look good to get a significant number of the 23v out to the public this season while tooling our other 23' v-drive and a 21' v-drive for next season.

To answer some specific?s:

Tony - The wake is affected a bit as you burn fuel, but when it gets noticeable you can just add more ballast to offset the fuel drain. And a new Tower is being fabricated as we speak for the first production Epics.

Ryan - The weight is easily adjusted to one side for wakesurfing. Unfortunately we built the swimstep a little too BIG and the edges cut into the surf, which is HUGE! Once we retool the swimdeck I will get some pics of the wakesurf up on epicboats.com

Gramps - With the 6.0l engine is seems to be a pretty standard fuel burn of about 4-5 gph during hard wakeboarding. And anyone looking for a new boat should always weigh their options carefully. The Epic 23v isn't for everyone. Many people really need to own an I/O or a deck boat. But with the standard equipment we are throwing into this boat: Resin Infused Hull, PCM 6.0l Closed Cooled, Massive Ballast, Great Stereo with Transom Audio, Closed Cooled Hot Water Shower, 3 Vent Heater, PP WakeBoard Pro, Depth Finder, Sick LED Lighting All-Around, and a Tower with racks; you just can't beat the price. You may be able to get within a few thousand dollars with a lower price point boat, but you are giving up a lot and only gaining a brand name. Over a name, I would take the resin infused hull, the very easily serviced engine, all the wake and comfort goodies, and a great wake for less dough than even the most conservatively priced brand name boat. But, I own the company soooo...that's just my opinion :-)

Dave - It actually planes out really quickly with the trim tab set-up we have.

AirRantz - That is soooo the shoe print from my Epik WakeSkate Shoes :-) I'm the one wet sanding, so I take liberties sometimes... And the lights will be available in different colors if you have a special order boat built, but the standard lights will be red to match the gauge lighting(which looks just awesome at night, the one piece all gel-coat dash is one of my favorite parts of the boat, it wipes right off with a towel and you can just hose it down if need be :-)

Leo - Yeah the Resin Infusion makes a BIG difference in the dry weight of the boat. We think it is great to have a boat that trailers easy but can still be loaded down with ballast on the water. The infusion also makes the hull many times stronger than tradition had lay-ups or chopper gunned boats.

Trace - Have a look at the website for dash pics and such.
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-19-2005, 11:53 AM Reply   
Jason, the back area with the grills are actually speakers. Chris Calls it Transom Audio, it is sick sick sick sick. I like it so much more than tower speakers.

The pictures that Ant Bug posted are actually in salt water, and so the wake is smaller than it would be.

The boat is really impressive. To quote the "encyclopedia of wakes" Joe Umali..."I am impressed."

With the ballast not full and trim tab down a bit, the biggest table top I have ever been in, but its nice b/c the the wake is very fitting for it. The wake is soft and forgiving like a VLX, and has a transition similar to a Calabria Pro V.

Like what was said above, a tower is being designed for it.

Chris, Definitely hit me up for some fresh water riding behind a production boat .

And of course to go down south :-).

I've ridden behind a lot of boats, VLX, X2, SSV, 20v, SV211...this makes my top 5.

Bug, nice pic of me.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-19-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
I get the speakers, this is the area I would be concerned about water draining.

Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-19-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
Chris-

Absolutely awesome that you are taking into account the feedback that so many people on wakeworld are giving. The one piece gel coat dash is very cool, and I can only imagine the wakesurf wake with that much displacement. Can't wait to see this thing in person. Any chance to be a late entry into the Seattle Boat Show?
Old    sean123            07-19-2005, 12:57 PM Reply   
HAHAHAHA "To quote the "encyclopedia of wakes" Joe Umali..."I am impressed." Now thats funny.... Just messing Joe... I always take enjoy your posts... And I still cannot get my toeside handle position close to yours.

Sean
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-19-2005, 5:33 PM Reply   
Some more pics... some ballast... a few peeps... fresh water...

Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-19-2005, 5:38 PM Reply   
A few have wondered if I have an affiliation with Epic... For the record I do NOT. I am a big fan of my current boat... 2004 Sky Supreme V220... but I am hoping to get the new Epic after riding behind... I am all about entertaining friends... so even though I can't ride behind the Epic very well... my friends are going crazy big.... One day I will get better... and if not... Someone will get a good deal on my boat when I decide to take up golf... which by the way... I am far better at....

Whether you like the boat or not... or doubt what it can do... if you get a chance... ride behind it....

I am not telling everyone to go buy one... I am just saying... CHECK IT OUT!!!!

I have no affiliation with Lamborghini... but if you get a chance... drive one... they are nice too! Ferrari's arent so bad either!
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-19-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
It seems like not too long ago people on WW were bashing these Epic guys left and right. Chris has been very patient with the nay-sayers, and it seems the tide is turning in his favor.

I'd love to be a local dealer, but I don't have the know how of operating a business.

Chris,

My $.02 on the boat-

1) Make an available option of a standard pointy nose (sorry, that blunt thing will never grow on me). Unfortunately, that is probably another mold making it expensive.

2) Make (at least some of) the cup holders large enough to hold 32 oz Gatorade bottles.

3) That panel to the left of the driver's feet looks like it would be in the way of climing into the driver's seat. Maybe the pictures are deceiving, and it's really not an issue.

Questions for you-

1) I remember talking back to an MC dealer back before ballast was ever added to boats, and they said that if the entire boat were filled with water, it would sit horizontal just below the water surface instead of the industry standard of just the nose barely above water, which is a nice safety feature. I asked the local CC dealer if CC's would do the same, and he would never give me a straight answer (so I guess not). With the amount of ballast the Epic has, what will it do if it is entirely filled with water including ballast?

2) I hear that the stereo is pretty nice, which sounds expensive. Do you have a scaled down option without the expensive stereo, and how much would that reduce the price?

3) I haven't seen what the warranty is. Do you have that determined yet?

Keep up the great work, and I wish you success.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-19-2005, 6:58 PM Reply   
The wake in those last pics are huge! I would love to see the x45 that throws out a bigger wake than that.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-20-2005, 7:26 AM Reply   
Man that wake is huge! Can a new xstar compare with that? What about Gramps' SAN? I thought he had the biggest wake, but this thing is getting close I think.

I cannot wait to see the thing in person. Bring it down to one of the Wakesports Unlimtied Tournaments at Fiesta and park the thing down there for all to see. Is the boat in San Diego right now? Is there only one right now? What manufacturer did you select to produce the boats for you, I missed that part.

Is there a dealer in San Diego?
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-20-2005, 7:48 AM Reply   
HairbandDude,
I believe the boat is currently in Canada. The company manufacturing the boats is getting the prototype up to 'manufactured' specs (new interior, swim step retool...).

Thats it Chris, after seeing the wake in fresh water I want to ride behind it in Fresh water!!!!
Old     (evil_e)      Join Date: May 2004       07-20-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
Gotta be honest, I was pretty skeptical when I read 4100 lbs of ballast, sounded like major overkill to me...but Chris has already answered pretty much every question I had and it's growing on me. When are you going to bring it up to Seattle so I can check this monster out in person?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-20-2005, 8:29 AM Reply   
wake does look pretty nice!

I know everybody is asking but....are you stopping at the Delta soon.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-20-2005, 9:51 AM Reply   
We would probably all love to see a schedule of your stops. Would love to see you in the south-east... Atlanta in particular. :-)
Old    deltahoosier            07-20-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
Nice boat for sure. Couple things that stick out.

The metal plate in the back is going to eat peoples toes up. People stepping down to the swim deck are going to get hurt more than likely and setting you up for liability. I know it sounds stupid, but, it will happen especially with kids.

How fast was the boat going for the wake pictures? The wake looks solid, but, it is not hard to have knee high wakes. The sangers and MC X2s looks like that wake. My Malibu is knee high at 24.7, but, with a bit of a peak on it that curls a little bit behind the rider. Nice wake on the boat just the same.

Loose that tower. There is a reason you see so few of them on the water. It is not completely about total fold down function and strength. As Grant knows.....It is about the ability to add a bit of bling to the boat.

What is the boat made of? Wood in the stringers? My 1998 MB was suppose to be all fiberglass construction only during investgating did I find the gunwales and the structural members in the top section of the boat were wood.

Nice boat and hope things work well in this vast undertaking.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2005, 5:42 PM Reply   
Rob... I took those pics...

Half ballast... fresh water... a few peeps... 22mph... guys were riding from 75-90ft rope...

The point of this post was not to bash other boats... or to say other boats are inadequate...

I just wanted to show the wake from the new EPIC.

And again... people should not go buy a boat based on picture or comments... but on real life testing...

If you get a chance... ride behind it...

Like every other boat owner... I thought I had the biggest and best wake on the lake... but then I rode behind this... and wow...

I have a lesser known named boat... not BU, MC, Tige, SAN, Supra...

So I am sure most are not surprised it was that big of a difference.

Anyways... if it is in your area... get a tow... you may like it... you may not...

The butter is waiting... so I am out of here!

Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-20-2005, 7:34 PM Reply   
Looks like it needs a Blabelmooch wake critique
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-21-2005, 8:08 PM Reply   
wake looks great. really liking what i see so far.

here's your expensive pointy nose option:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/238032.html
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-22-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
how about this wake? 85 foot out @ 23mph

(Message edited by rson on July 22, 2005)