Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old    kdstorm            09-16-2004, 10:15 PM Reply   
i was wondering how long of ropes you guys ride with i think my rope is 65 feet but cant realy remember what the best length for doing 180s 360s and front and back rolls behind a masatercraft maristar 210 (basicly a x10)
i have been riding for a while now and i am pretty good but i never realy knew what the right lenght is so i was just wondering thanks guys
Old    sbvfive            09-16-2004, 10:44 PM Reply   
You have to feel it out....you generally want to be as far back as you can comfortabley clear both wakes with like a 3/4 or so cut, as long as the wake is good that far back. I ride 80 feet behind my 99 X-Star, but the 210 is a little wider, so you may need to stay a little shorter, like 70. Just try different lengths until you find that sweet spot
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-17-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
Sure this is way under you, but for the benefit of anyone else: LET YOUR TOESIDE JUMPS DETERMINE ROPE LENGTH was the best advice that WW gave me. If it's still feelig hairy (for us beginners) to get across clean TS, don't let out the rope.

Tell me if this sounds right for later on: once you advance, you just move back until you're just in front of the whitewash. When that gets too small, speed up the boat to move the whitewash back so you can let more rope out.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-17-2004, 9:28 AM Reply   
Most of the guys we ride with are on 80-90' behind loaded down wakebaord boats. I recommend anybody riding on a weighted boat be no less than 75' total length
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-17-2004, 9:34 AM Reply   
best way to determine the perfect rope length.....
take boat up to riding speed, say 22 mph. Let the rope out till it's dragging at the sweet spot of the wake..... there ya go! Rope
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-17-2004, 10:09 AM Reply   
If i left it up to my toeside jumps, i'd just hook the handle around the tower rope mount.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-17-2004, 10:19 AM Reply   
Started riding with the rope at 70' and have worked the length up as the boat weight and speed increase. I'm now riding 80' and loving it. Just do what you are comfortable with. There are a ton of factors to it that are important: Boat speed, weight, board speed, and skill. On a X-10 I'd go between 70' (beginner), and 75' (intermediate) and upwards of 80' for the advanced riders. If my memory serves correct the X-10 wake is a bit wider than say a VLX or SAN (or even an X-star for that matter). Just make sure the speed of the boat keeps up with rope length. If the wake is curling over when you get to it you aren't going fast enough. We are typically riding between 23 and 24 with the rope at 80'
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-17-2004, 10:38 AM Reply   
I am just wondering about rope length too. When you are talking about 70', does that include the handle? I have an accurate yellow jacket rope. How far back would I be considered to be riding if I am using the full length of the rope.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-17-2004, 11:01 AM Reply   
i recently bought the same rope "accurate jacket mainline" 70 is the longest that rope comes. The people that have 80 must be counting their handles unless they have extra rope to attach it to.

What if you don't have a wakeboard tower and you tie the rope to a back of a boat...what should you be riding at then?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-17-2004, 11:09 AM Reply   
70' might be fine for a beginner who is only looking to get up and learn to control the board. But when you are ready to start learning to jump the wake the rope should be shortened to the point where you can clear the second wake and land on the downside. This could be anywhere from about 45' up depending on boat speed.

After learning to jump the wake you should lenghten the rope and adjust boat speed upwards according to the progression of your skills. There is no blanket recommendation of rope length that suits everyone and every boat. I seriously disagree on advising a minimum of 75' with a weighted boat for everyone.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-17-2004, 1:40 PM Reply   
Jeremy, I hear ya. Maybe we should be bustin them surfing ropes ;-)

Old    kdstorm            09-19-2004, 2:20 PM Reply   
thanks guys i cant remember how long my rope is but i need a new one anyways soo i think ill try a 70 foot rope and mabey buy a 5 foot extender if i need it bc rideing from my tower you lose almost 1o feet
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-20-2004, 4:40 AM Reply   
I ride at about 60 feet 17/18 mph but at 22 mph there is no wake behind my boat it gets really flat is that because of my speedo? then I rode behind a maristar and they said I was going 22 or 23 mph anyone else hav this prob?

(Message edited by p_b_parks on September 20, 2004)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-20-2004, 10:42 AM Reply   
When most people are talking about rope length they are including the hadle in the calculation. If you have a 70' main line and a 5' handle you are ridig at 75'. As fas as I can tell 70' is the standard length for most ropes, although most advanced riders ride longer than the 75' total length that provides. I really like the Accurate ultra spectra because it comes in 80' lengths allowing for 85' with the handle.
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-21-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
Thanks for clearing that up for me Evan.