Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (adamcarta)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-11-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
The only really reliable member of my crew just elected to have Lasik Eye Surgery and was told by his doctor that he can't wakeboard for a year post-surgery. This pretty much puts me out of comission for the season as well. Has anyone had experience with this surgery and the recovery time?
Old    whirlymann            05-11-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
Wow, I was considering the surgery as well. I'm glad you posted this because that's a deal-breaker if it's true. I'd also like to hear some first hand experiences.
Old     (kid_a)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-11-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
My Dr. said 30 days but i waited 60. never heard of a year. Maybe he's getting a different kind of eye surgery the all laser should heal pretty quick. I've had a few face plants and my eyes are still 20/20.
Old     (kdr)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-11-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
Mine said a month as well. Make sure your friend checks out several doctors. I saw four doctors and only felt comfortable with one of them. I spent about 1500 more with the one I choose, but she seems like the only doc that cared that the surgery was done correctly and without complications. The others seemed interested only in my checkbook.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-11-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
My friend did PRK instead of LASIK. He told me it hurts like the dickens but he didn't miss but a week or two of water time.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-11-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
I can see waiting a year when you are scuba diving but wakeboarding? However, I definitely wouldn't advice him to do any free diving in the lake either. The Dr. must be worried about water pressure related to the eye. kdr had a great suggestion.....
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-11-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
I also went to someone more pricey but felt a lot more comfortable with. I didn't have to wait a year to wakeboard though. I also ended up getting lasek instead of lasik. I believe the dr told me no wakeboarding for a couple of months. I also see better than 20/20. I would do it again in a heart beat.
Old    whirlymann            05-11-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
Jeff, what's the difference between sek and sik? Please excuse my ignorance, I haven't really researched the procedures.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-11-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
I had it done two years ago. There are a few different types of "Lasik". I had "wavefront" & they used a laser to cut the eye flap instead of a blade. It was the lateset technology available. I was told stay out of the water two weeks for infection reasons. There is very little worry about the flap actually coming loose. The doc had only seen it one time and it ended up healing over time. I took a digger about a month after surgery and swear I felt water go in my eye sockets and was fine. SOme of the best money I ever spent.

Also, the surgeon is the most important part of the procedure. Do your research and don't be cheap. Will Vision in Vancouver, WA is who did mine and they were excellent...........
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-11-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
Had it done 8 years agao and was best thing EVER! Cant imagine my life with contacts still. I think he told me 4 weeks after surgery. No pain what so ever.
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-11-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
I had my eyes done 2 years ago, and had a few face plants, some worse than others however my eyers are still a little better than 20/20. As far as recovery time, my doc told me to wait about 3 months before I can go to lakes. Lasik...well worth it
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-11-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
I just had my LASIK done back in March. I rode on day 31 after the surgery (doc said wait 30 days and then cleared me to wakeboard)

I also had the blade free or INTERLASE where they make the initial cut with a laser instead of a knife.

they might be considering the of ameobas.. which if they infect your cornea, could cause some major problems (and could require a cornea replacement) But this wasn't even mentioned during my LASIK procedure/evals.

I don't know if that's the case with PRK, but I'm just guessing.

oh yeah, on that note, don't sleep in your contacts.. especially after wakeboarding. It allows the ameobas to build up in your eye.

-S

(Message edited by Swami on May 11, 2007)
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-11-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
Best thing I ever did, 3 years no problems! I waited 30 days and then boarded wearing goggles, yes goggles. Used them for about two months till the sunk after a crash. They do look funny but who cares, it is worth protecting the investment.
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-11-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
best thing I ever did! doc said to wait two weeks! but I had it done in the winter so it did not matter.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-11-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
The difference between lasik and lasek is that in lasik they cut a flap in your cornea and with lasek the remove the cornea. Lasik is a lot faster recovery time(usually just a day) while lasek is more like 3-4 days. It also was quite painful. The closest I can describe it is someone putting sand, and tobbaco hot sauce and rubbing your eyes real hard. I was blind for 3-4 days. But the success rate is higher and has less chance of seeing halo's at night. It has been over 2 years since the surgery and I still see better than 20/20.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-11-2007, 1:42 PM Reply   
Also mine was wavefront lasek.(bladeless)
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-11-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
Best money you'll ever spend. Buff daddy and I went to Dr. Kaywish in Pleasanton about 8 years ago. I think he said 4 weeks. I was on the water in 1.
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       05-11-2007, 9:33 PM Reply   
I have heard anywhere from one month to six. I would definitely not do it during the height of summer. Take the winter to heal up so you won't have to worry about it. I did it in December and it has given me a decent break before the water season starts in the Northwest.
I think the main worry for wakeboarding is jarring the flap loose in a bad fall. There is also a chance of infection from the oh so clean water we all board in.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-11-2007, 9:46 PM Reply   
adam....one year sounds like a doc who doesn't know what wakeboarding is or is ultra conservative. Corneas heal so quickly...we don't even put sutures in cataract patients anymore..and they heal up so the cornea is closed in a couple days. I had RK's in the 80's then Lasik on top of that. I wasn't wakeboarding at the time but I was healed within a few days. I can understand 30 days to make sure the eyes have healed but definitely not a year. I would go to someone else and get a second opinion...unless there is more to your eye history than we know.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-12-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
The only restrictions we have for after LASIK are, 1. No getting in contaminated water, hot tubs, pools, lakes, etc. for 2 weeks.
2. No eye makeup for 1 week.
3. No ball sports, basketball, soccer, etc. for 1 month.
Thats it.
The number one concern after LASIK is infection. You dont want that. In 10 years, i've never seen one.
If the flap is dislodged it can usually be fixed but is very painful while its dislodged. I've seen this happen twice.

LASIK = blade creates flap
LASEK = different type of blade + alchohol to create flap
Intralase = no blade. Flap is created with a laser
PRK = no flap. Treatment directly on top of the cornea.
WAVEFRONT = Custom LASIK, Custom LASEK, Custom Intralase, or even Custom PRK. New technology that was introduced about 5 years ago to Ophthalmology. We have a wavescan now. It scans the eye and comes up with a customized treatment. No 2 treatments are alike.
PS
Im a LASIK tech/coordinator. Just trying to help.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-12-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
Lasik is the greatest thing since the front opening bra. Have your friend do it and just wear goggles. Like these:Upload