Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (amaclaren)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-19-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
hello, I am in the process of buying a 2010 Wakesetter VLX. I am not getting the factory audio system in it because of the problems my friends 2008 has had. I will be getting a custom job done and was shopping around for some interior speakers, tower speakers and amps, i cant afford the highest end speakers like JL though. Im more concerned with sound quality than i am with overall loudness. I have been looking at MTX but havnt been able to find any reviews or feedback on them. I would appreciate any suggestions, thanks.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-19-2010, 3:09 PM Reply   
Good choice in not getting the factory stereo. However, JL doesn't approach the "highest end" You won't appreciate the difference in sound quality between JL and the best out there in the open-air environment of a boat though anyway.
Old     (jdoggy_73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-19-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
For price and sound quality on amps, I would vote for Arc Audio (KS series), JL (HD), or Alpine (PDX). Tower speakers I would invest some $$$ in Exile or WetSounds. Interior speakers I did Polk Momo's and they (Polk) seem to be the norm in many boats unless you go wet sounds here too.

All are personal preference and really how much you want to spend... both now and down the line to upgrade. I did the stereo head unit and interiors first, now starting to collect amps and sub(s). Further down the road will be tower speakers (I wish I had the cash last month when Earmark had their deals for wetsounds pro-80 and syn amps).

David with Earmark is always willing to chime in and give you his .02 cents. You may also want to cruise through David's past replies and see if anything is relevant so he doesnt have to keep repeating himself. Talk to a local dealer and hear a few speakers / set-ups, then post findings.

Don't forget batteries, perko switch, on-board charger, wires, and... ahh nevermind. You will shortly discover building a system is like remodeling a house, plan to spend at least 20% more than you budgeted and THEN tack on an addional 10%.

-- J