Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-13-2010, 12:10 PM Reply   
I have done some searching and I must not know what to search for as I couldn't find any posts on this. I am sure there must be some out there though so I apologize in advance.

I am replacing the Kicker speakers in my Epic with wetsounds xs-650's. Currently there are 2 pair in the transom, and 3 pair in the boat. I got a killer deal on them and ended up getting 6 pairs of xs-650's. That leaves me with 1 set to place wherever I like. They can't go in the transom so I am left with mounting them somewhere in the boat. This brings me to my question. What is the best way to cut out the 5" hole for the speaker? Is it with a diamond coated 5" hole saw to make the perfect circle? I also seemed to have found that I should make a big square out of masking tape over the area to be drilled out. Is this how I should do it? Do I need to run the drill in reverse until I am through the gel coat?

Thanks guys!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-13-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
Just a good quality combo wood/metal hole saw from the hardware store and a variable-speed drill is all you need.

Yes on masking and yes on running in reverse. Then chamfer the edge of the hole with some sandpaper to help prevent spider cracks.

Last edited by chpthril; 03-13-2010 at 1:01 PM.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-13-2010, 4:06 PM Reply   
I used a dremel to cut out all my speaker holes, head unit hole and ports for my subs. Using a Demel with the extension works great.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-13-2010, 8:59 PM Reply   
What are you cutting the hole in? If it's just fiberglass, or thin plastic with vinyl over it, then you can use an air saw like this:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/ir/ir429.html

That saw will zip it right out.

A dremel won't work as well if there's any kind of thickness to it.

If it's a panel that's got vinyl/foam/3/4" wood, then fiberglass, like most powerboats do, then you'll need a jigsaw with at least a 5" wood blade, similar to what chpthril said.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-14-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
The hole would be in fiberglass. I think it would be hard to control a big saw like that cutting out a perfect circle though. I'd want it to look nice and not jagged and irregular haha
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-14-2010, 9:02 AM Reply   
dremel with rotozip bit.
youll thank me later.

ive done a ton and this works the best. fast, MUCH more controled and neat than other methods. its scary enough with out the risk of screw ups and slopy cuts. PERFECT circles are no problem, even for a first timer.

Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-14-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
what does the rotozip do to the gelcoat? seems like it would chip the hell out of it when cutting
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-14-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
The saw that I posted isn't that big, and it makes a very smooth cut, not chipping the fiberglass at all. It's easier to control then a Rotozip.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-14-2010, 2:05 PM Reply   
Rotozips work, but it eats a lot of bits. The large ones dont cut as good and tend to dull fast. The small ones cut fast, but tend to overheats and then the break. So either way, it's takes me 3-5 bits a boat.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-14-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
Why wouldn't you use a hole saw? It seems like that would be the fastest, cleanest method?
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-14-2010, 4:56 PM Reply   
I think a diamond coated 5" hole saw is what I will end up using. Can't mess that up. Joe, where do you think I should put the extra 2 speakers by the way since we have the same boat?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-14-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
The reason for not using a hole-saw is that you can only use it for that size speaker, and nothing else. At least with teh saw, you can use it for other things. I've cut out at least 14-15 speaker holes in all sizes with 1 blade. You can get the saw and blades at Harbor Freight for about $15. The 5" diamond hole saw is how much? Last ones I've seen were at least $40.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-15-2010, 6:26 AM Reply   
I think you should put them in a box, and send them to me Really though, I'll go over today and look around,
Old     (fernslinger)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-16-2010, 1:45 PM Reply   
I used the cheap hole saw set from Harbor Freight and it worked great.