Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-09-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
How many custom ringtones can you have on your phone?
Is there a way to change your text and email alerts to a custom tone?
itch
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       11-09-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
to answer your second question you have to jailbreak your phone. Jailbroke mine a couple weeks ago, now rockin custom text/calendar/unlock/lock ringers and access to any application at will :-) .
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-09-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
I would classify myself a novice was it hard?
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       11-09-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
the actual jailbreak was easy, took 30 seconds using the application blackra1n.

after jailbreak all you have to do is

install cydia
download winterboarder
browse themes section for any ringtones you want
select ringtone in winterboarder app

done.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-09-2009, 3:36 PM Reply   
Do I need a driver or installing programs like the old Nextel deals how do I get the cydia,winterboarder to go from computer to the phone Itunes?
itch
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       11-09-2009, 4:15 PM Reply   
once you run blackra1n, there will be a blackra1n icon on your iphone, click on it, once inside you have the option to install cydia (which is basically a new appstore). There are 2 other "appstore" programs in blackra1n but only install cydia. after you install cydia you can delete blackra1n by chosing delete once your inside the program.

No drivers needed, iphone just needs to be plugged in and recognized by itunes, and run the blackra1n program that you downloaded on your computer.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       11-09-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
just a warning, i've done this on 3 iphones now, on mine 3.1.2 OS btw, after i jailbroke none of my apps would open, i just simply did a restore and tried again and it worked. I must have done something wrong because the last two iphones i've jailbroke for friends worked perfectly (OS 3.1.2 as well). You can always system restore your iphone if something goes wrong.

So just in case do a backup of your iphone with itunes, including pictures/contacts/apps. To transfer apps that you have downloaded from the appstore in your iphone right click on your iphone in itunes and click on "transfer purchases" that way your apps get backed up as well.

I know i just made it seem more complicated but it really isn't. Once you run blackra1n its back up and running in 30 seconds
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-09-2009, 4:33 PM Reply   
cool thanks Taylor one last questions once jailbroke can i still use itunes?
also I have been getting ringtones from
http://es.audiko.net/ringtone/John+Butler+Trio/lullaby will these still operate as normal?
itch
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-09-2009, 4:52 PM Reply   
can you link me to the blackrain you used
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       11-09-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
I got the link from this group on facebook "redmond pie"

Since i've jailbroken they've released a newer version. blackra1n rc3

heres the guide with the download at the bottom.
http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iphone-3.1.2-firmware-with-blackra1n-rc3-9140079/

I read some of the user comments for RC3 at the bottom and looks like some people had problems with the new version. I'll email you the RC1 release too in case you have troubles with the RC3.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       11-09-2009, 7:37 PM Reply   
and to answer you other question yes it works just the same as a regular iphone. still syncs with itunes and your ringtones should still work.
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-26-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
Does anyone know the name of the file used to change your text alert to "you've got a text message" or some derivative?
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-27-2009, 4:43 PM Reply   
You can also turn your camera into a video camera with Cycorder once you jailbreak it. Do it!