Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-10-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
How can you make your own wake surf. Thanks
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-10-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
Jack, you have come to the right place. You just threw a baited hook in the water. The guys will be here shortly.

There is a great wealth of board building knowledge here. In fact, I think I'm about to start on my first one. Good luck!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-10-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
Here's a good tutorial: http://www.surfersteve.com/introduction.htm

The best place for online surfboard building help is Swaylocks. http://www.swaylocks.com/

What do you have in mind?
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-11-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
Jack -- I agree with Ed -- check out surfersteve. my recommendation for doing anything at home would be to do Epoxy -- much lower VOCs than Poly
Old    surfdad            09-11-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
Jack, I think it might be helpful for us to understand why you want to build one. Low cost? Or do you have the building bug?

I see that you're 13 and in another thread you were looking for help on how to throw a shuv, I do believe. That would lead me to believe that you're interested in a skim style board...I'm not sure the above references will be all that helpful...they are more surf focused.

Practically speaking, if you're 13 unless you are REALLY developed for your age, you're no doubt under 100 pounds. Have you thought of just buying one of the fiberglass skimmers off ebay, popping a fin in it and maybe some traction? I think you can get a suitably sized skimmer for around $45 shipped to your door. If your motivation is low cost, you'd have a hard time building one cheaper than that.

This is an example of one on eBay

Keep us posted 'bro.
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-11-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
Im 5'6 about 125 actually. I built a wakeskate and like it alot just something about buliding your own board i guess thanks
Old    surfdad            09-11-2008, 3:49 PM Reply   
Yeah...I do understand, nothing rides quite as well as that first board you shape. Plus, you learn so much about what makes a decent board, it's a great exercise.

Tell me Jack, you mentioned wanting to learn to do a shuv in another thread. Are you thinking skimmer? The construction process, while similar, has a different goal from a surf board.

Also, have you got a budget in mind? Most high end skimmers are made from a high density foam like Divinycell or Corecell. Great foams, but pricey.
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-11-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
Yeah im thinking more in the lines of skimmer. But about how much would it cost to make? When i look its about $64 a sheet for Corecell plus other materials adds up. Thanks for the help.
Old    surfdad            09-11-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
I think that you can actually build a skimmer for a bit less than a surf, the core material is more, but then you can also use Polyester resin if you want and you also save on the fins and boxes.

You can get a 1/4 sheet of 1/2" Divinycell H80 for around $45 plus shipping. It's probably cheaper and easier to bend the rocker than Corecell. You're still talking over $100 to build. Another option for the core would be polyurethane. You can get 8 pound sign foam for cheap, like 10-12 bucks and a piece. It's not a great quality core, but it will work and you can find it at just about any local sign manufacturing business.

Do you have a basic shape in mind?
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-12-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
Yes I do have a shape something sort of like the liquid force thruster in mind. But do you have any better shaped ideas? Thanks
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-12-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
Or something like the Phase five Prop mabye.