Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old    deiselgrover            06-26-2003, 12:41 PM Reply   
If so where do you board at? I just started boarding this summer and am trying to find a good place to go. Ive been to Lake Freeman, Brookville, and Monroe. Any suggestions. These all seem to be really busy. Of course my favorite place to go is to head south to Dalehollow, but the 5 hr drive puts a bummer on the weekend. Plus the dog doesn't like riding in the back of the truck for that long
Old     (atvr)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-26-2003, 12:50 PM Reply   
Dalehollow, bought my boat in Albany, KY and demoed it there. I live in Louisville. The vacation home is on Rough River. Lots of boarding enthusiasts down there.
Old    deltahoosier            06-26-2003, 1:08 PM Reply   
I personnally like the Delta. The Wabash just was not cutting it for me )
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-26-2003, 1:11 PM Reply   
I'm up here in Da Region, Northwest Indiana. I ride in Crown Point on a semi-private lake. In Indiana, you can ride at Raccoon Lake, Lake Missisenewa, Hardy Lake (45 mins south of Indy), Geist and Morse Resevoirs, Cedar Lake, Lake Maxintucky and....well, that's all I can think of now...
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-26-2003, 1:16 PM Reply   
What up Rod? My cousin likes to ride up on Morse Reservoir on the weekends, but we hit the water by about 6-6:30 am to catch anything resembling smooth water. We are usually off by 10:00 because it gets all chopped up by then.

Some other peeps I ride with regularly go out to Racoon (Cecil M. Harden Lake). It is the best lake I have been to in Indiana. Same holds true for getting there early on weekends. Last summer, some buddies and I would head out from work about 3:00pm on Tuesdays and ride out at Racoon. Water was butter because no one else is out during the week.

I have to give big props to Dale Hollow. My parents, uncle, and grandparents all keep there boats down there. My grandparents own a house right off the lake by the dam. We are down there as often as possible, you just can't beat that water. Butter everyday all day, unless its raining that is.

The lakes you listed are always going to be pretty busy, just too small and too crowded. That what sucks about living in Indiana, our lakes are small and too busy. Thats alright though, it doesn't bother me to get up at 4 am for smooth water.

I'll be out at Racoon this weekend with some friends. They have a white/black Crownline with an extended pylon. Say hello if you are out there. Peace.

Jb
Old    deiselgrover            06-26-2003, 1:31 PM Reply   
Hey JB! thanks for the response. Your right about that is way it sucks to live in Indiana. Yeah I think we are actually going to go to Racoon this weekend too. My wife boards (or tries, we both just started really) with some guys from her work and they said Racoon was good. So we were going to do the early morning run. I think we are going to check out Salamonie for 4th weekend. Got a camp site so we will be able to get out on that water just as day breaks. I will probably be off the water by 9 or so cause Im sure the 4th weekend is going to be insanely busy.

Im in a white with blue trim rinker 18'. So maybe we will run into each other Sat. morning. Take it easy Bro!
Old     (alan)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-26-2003, 5:44 PM Reply   
Indiana has a lot of lakes look at the map (topo). I like Lake Lemon. Hope to see you some time.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-26-2003, 10:48 PM Reply   
my folks have a place on freeman. had many good times there. now I am in florida and in wake heaven.
Old     (riderx77)      Join Date: May 2001       06-27-2003, 10:48 AM Reply   
in/oh has some kicking riders and spots. brookville is only good in march and november.

check out nowake.com
Old    samcdog            06-27-2003, 3:32 PM Reply   
As far as I am concerned the BEST place in Indiana is Salamonie Reservoir. I lived in Huntington and it is about 30 minutes away. Close to Marion. No houses on the lake. It is used for flood control and has A LOT of wind coverage, plus it is quite large. During the week you are lucky to see another boat.
Old    samcdog            06-27-2003, 3:36 PM Reply   
Rod,

I saw you email address, did you go to Purdue? Did you room w/ a George V?
Old    deiselgrover            06-30-2003, 6:17 AM Reply   
Hey Sam. I did goto Purdue and roomed with George V back in 99. Drop me an email. boiler_2000@hotmail.com
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-30-2003, 6:30 AM Reply   
Hey Rod, were you guys out Sat. morning? We didn't hit the water until about 8:45. I got one set in (even though the water was already tore up) and then gave up. It was so frickin crowded both Sat. and Sun. it wasn't even fun to drive around on. We spent all day tied up in the idle zone on the other side of the bridge.

However, I did get to try wakesurfing Sat. and that was pretty cool. One of the people who were out with us Sat. was in the Toyota SX-22. He had just picked up the Hyperlite Landlocked. So we went to try it out. For that it doesn't matter how tore up the water is, but you have to have a boat with a ton of weight in the ass end to make the wake big enough for it. We had a 600 lb fatsac and three guys in the ass end and the wake still wasn't quite big enough. He had another fatsac that wasn't part of the boats auto-ballast, but his pump was fried, so we couldn't fill it up.

Anyhow, boarding sucked this weekend, but there were actually quite a few wakeboard boats out there that I hadn't seen before. Maybe we will run into each other another time. Peace.

Jb
Old    deiselgrover            06-30-2003, 7:30 AM Reply   
Hey JB, Yeah we were out there Sat. Morning. We were on the water by 7:00. We got a couple sets in each. It was real good for an hour or so, then it started chopping up. Got those early morning tubers out there f'in everything up. But we stayed down by the S turn most of the time. Seemed like it stayed pretty smooth. I was looking for your boat but didn't see it. I did like that lake though. We floated in the idle zone for an hour or so, then came back out and it was rougher than a corn cob, so we headed out. Its my favorite lake in IN that we have been to so far. We are heading to Salamonie this weekend. You ever been there? I was wanting to go to Mississenawa (sp?) but I guess its still down for dam repairs. Take it easy!
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-30-2003, 8:15 AM Reply   
We were up riding on the other side of the park launch ramp. If you guys launched from the park ramp and took a right instead of a left out of there, that is where we were. It is usually where you will find the smoothest water when it is busy, unless of course there are tubers out there driving around in circles like there were Saturday morning. The S turn is usually not too bad too like you said. However, this weekend just flat sucked period. I haven't seen it that busy in a long time. If you ever make it out there during the week though, it is butter all day.

Mississinewa is down, but if its not busy, its not a bad lake. We went there for memorial day and yes the lake is down 20 feet for dam repair, but there is still plenty of lake to ride on. If you go all the way back past the bridge, there is a really nice area. However, since the lake is down, if there are more than half a dozen boats out, it can get chopped up quick. Let me know how Salmonie is, I have never been. Peace.

Jb
Old    bens            06-30-2003, 8:25 AM Reply   
I have a place on Morse and everyone is right, you have to get up early for the butter. Week nights in the summer are almost as bad, have to wait for sunset.
I think the smoothest water around Indy is in Broadripple on White River. It's very dirty and there are limited spots where you can actually board due to shallow water. So be careful if you do go out there.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-30-2003, 11:28 AM Reply   
I ride on Lake James/Snow Lake in Steuben County.
We are out early every weekend and normally have pretty good water until 10-11. There are 101 lakes in the county and the big ones get pretty crowded at times, but there are lots of little ones that have public access that only have a few fishermen on them.
Old    jhall0004            07-01-2003, 3:20 PM Reply   
Rod,

I live in Greenfield too!! We usually go to brookville on the weekends but we are on the water by 6am and off by 10am. Otherwise you will get the hell beat out of you.

We have a little spot at a campground right next to Brookville lake with a 5th wheel and we leave our boat on the water so it is not a bad set up. My wife and I have a teal and white glastron with a joystick tower so its nothing special but it gets the job done. If you want a pull at Brookville let me know. I am out all year because of ankle surgery so I am all time driver. (which sucks!!)
Old    deiselgrover            07-02-2003, 12:14 PM Reply   
Man that sucks Jason. I am usually all time driver except when I go. Then the wife pulls me. What campground do you goto? We have been going to Mounds. Nice camp ground.
Old    jhall0004            07-02-2003, 12:36 PM Reply   
We have a spot at Heritage Hills which is on the east side of 101 about a mile south from the fairfield ramp road.

I am not sure where mounds campground is? Is that around Brookville or somewhere in Anderson?

I actually prefer my wife to pull me she does a great job. Let me know if you are going to be heading to Brookville and we will have to hook up while we are all down there. We have never went boarding with anyone other than our friends who we got started in the sport.

I got my 9 year old nephew up and going on his board that I got him last week. The look on his face was all most worth me missing the whole summer. He is really stoked about now!!
Old    deiselgrover            07-02-2003, 12:44 PM Reply   
Mounds is the state rec park at brookville (about 10miles north of the 101, 52 crossing. Right on the lake. (Its also a state park in Anderson)

You been boarding long? I just started this year seroiusly so I am not very good......YET

We probably won't be able to get to Brookville for a while cause we already have plans to goto Sally this weekend, then we got stuff going on the next several weeks and then we are off to Dalehollow for a week

But next time we head that way I'll drop you a line.
Old    jhall0004            07-02-2003, 3:06 PM Reply   
My wife and I have been boarding for 2 summers so we are not the greatest but we have a blast.

We are heading to Norris Lake in Tn. the last week of August. Last year we went to Dalehollow during the same week and it was absolutly awesome. The house we rented had water on 3 sides. If you did not feel like going out on the boat you could sit in the sun room and watch everyone who was. We were going to go back but we wanted to try Norris Lake and see which one we like best. Kind of hard to imagine better conditions than what we had at Dalehollow.

We will probably be at Brookville most weekends from now until the end of the season so no big deal. If you want just shoot me an email whenever your down there.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-03-2003, 12:23 PM Reply   
all you guys best be plannin a trip to Mid West Wake Fest this year.

www.midwestwakefest.com

Old    wakejunkeygirl            07-09-2003, 8:03 PM Reply   
I am originally from Indiana, been here in Florida for 4 years...how many months are you guys wakeboarding?? I was trying to remember when the cold sat in...Sept. right?? Is morse any good??
www.angisimpson.com
cool wakeboard videos
www.420production.com
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-09-2003, 8:43 PM Reply   
angi, i remember april-oct was how we did it. now it is all year round!
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-10-2003, 9:19 AM Reply   
April thru October is pretty much it. I've gone in March and December, but you gotta really want it. Dry suits, heaters and showers help, a lot!
Old    jbillings            07-10-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
I used to live in INDY. The best water is the Ohio river and White River in downtown. No lie. I moved to the ATL. Norris and Dale Hollow rock for weekend trips. Cataract Lake during the week is good.
Old    deiselgrover            07-10-2003, 10:48 AM Reply   
pretty much may to september, maybe october if we get a good month. Ive been in february before with drysuit, but I wouldn't recommend it!!!
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-10-2003, 11:12 AM Reply   
If I can't get by with just a shorty, I don't go. So I am a May to October guys myself. I don't own a drysuit, nor do I want to risk hypothermia to go out in February and March.

Winter time is time to spend on the mountain or hill as it is here in Indiana. I like the two season nature of Indiana in a way. I get to enjoy wake and snow and I like the changeup.

Oh yeah, I have to argue with the Ohio and White river comment Josh. Yeah, the water is butter, but you have to wonder if your offspring will come out sporting 6 toes or something. None of the water in Indiana compares to the lakes of Tennnesee though. Peace.

Jb
Old    wakejunkeygirl            07-10-2003, 2:22 PM Reply   
WHITE RIVER??? EWWWWWWWW!!! man, i lost my snoopy doll at Longacre swimming pool drain when i was like 5 and my parents said it went to the white river, i bet snoopy has mutated and has like 3 tails, 8 paws and a green slime fur coat!
White River is icky!! It used to stink bad by downtown. I don't know if I could board in that. Cataract would be nice though and maybe Racoon? I didnt board when I lived in Indy, so I was trying to remember some good places..maybe Morse or Moorse however its spelled. or Geist is that good?? or too crowded?
have to have some places to go case i go home for an extended visit...don't see that happenin' in my near future though.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-10-2003, 8:33 PM Reply   
Josh, you SAY you like the change up, but when you move down here you realise it was just rationalization!
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-11-2003, 7:30 AM Reply   
That's right on Timmy...I moved here from St Pete about 7 or 8 years ago. It plain old sucks here. We ride from the first part to mid-May until we can't take it anymore. We don't use wet or dry suits...so we only ride until first part of October usually. 6-7 months off is too long...I gotta move back one day
Old     (jarabacoa)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-11-2003, 3:28 PM Reply   
The grass is always greener on the other side...

Tim, you are so right.
Old    reddog25cf            07-12-2003, 9:10 AM Reply   
I don't know what any of you guys are talking about.... Lake Shafer is by far the BEST place to wakeboard in Indiana. There's never any boats on that lake, it's so clean, and it's so wide even if there is another boat on the lake you can barely see them..... oh wait... there I go dreaming again. Not to mention right now because of all the rain, if I fell, I'd be down at Indiana Beach from Buffalo in about 3 minutes. The current is super strong right now.
Old    samcdog            07-12-2003, 7:32 PM Reply   
The only good thing about winter is it allows me to heal.
Old     (alan)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-13-2003, 7:43 PM Reply   
Anyone ride Patoka Lake?
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2003, 8:30 AM Reply   
I've never ridden there, but I want to sometime. A buddy of mine goes there with his family some to fish, he say the lake is usually not very crowded and the water is alot cleaner than Racoon/Cataract. I keep wanting to go, but never seem to convince anyone to make the drive. The only negatives I have heard is that there are several shallow areas, but they are all well marked according to him. Peace.

Jb
Old    jhall0004            07-14-2003, 9:20 AM Reply   
I spent a week on Lake Shaffer and was not that impressed. It was extremly busy on the weekend and butter during the week. That is pretty much the way Brookville is too. Shaffer also had a lot of shallow spots when I was there.

I like the Ohio, we had some really good water when we were there. Geist is really busy so you have be there really early but if you are off the water by 11am you get half your launch fee back so that is not too bad.
Old    reddog25cf            07-14-2003, 9:43 AM Reply   
Yea, Shafer is pretty shallow in some spots, but when you've been going to that lake since you were like 8 years old like me and driving on that lake since you were like 14, you tend to know where the shallow spots are, so it's not too bad for us. Also, the only time we get to ride most of the time is during the week after work, so the conditions aren't too bad at all. The weekends normally suck unless you go really early (which we don't normally do -- too hungover) and the couple hours before dark. We deal with it, make the most of what you got, right? Don't really know much about any other lakes in Indiana, never been on any, although I'd love to hook up one weekend with some of you guys. Sort of a wakeworld party, haha. Let me know if any of you guys would be interested in something like that.
Old    wakejunkeygirl            07-14-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
any of u guys from Indy or southport/perry area??
that is where I lived..??
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-15-2003, 7:15 AM Reply   
I haven't heard the name "lake shafer" since I was a little kid. I was born in Monticello & learned to ski on lake shafer. My sister's boyfriend drove the ski boat for the Indiana Beach ski show. I've lived outside of Tampa since I was a little and haven't even heard the name "lake shafer" in a while.
Old    reddog25cf            07-15-2003, 10:07 AM Reply   
Eric -
Who is your sister's boyfriend? I might actually know him. Like I said, I've known people on that lake since I was a little kid. I'm actually from Rensselaer, but have spent many summers on Shafer.
Old    reddog25cf            07-15-2003, 10:09 AM Reply   
Just an idea, but us Indiana riders should hook up and head down to Dale Hollow for a weekend. I've heard nothing but amazing things down there. Huge lake, always able to find butter. We could get like 10-12 people to pitch in and get a houseboat for a weekend or something. Just an idea.
Old    deiselgrover            07-15-2003, 10:14 AM Reply   
I rode Patoka Lake over memorial day. Unfortunatley I didn't really get to see much of it. I did a quick set pretty early and was able to find some good water. Then I had some guys that had never boarded before with me so I was teaching them. One of the girls we were with had a cabin on the lake and she had us drive back in a cove to get to it. Well an hour and a half later and 2 stumps we finally made it. Needless to say by the time I got my boat out of there I was ready to call it a day. The lake seems real stumpy in some places but I think the open lake is not too bad.

By the way Angi, Im from Greenfield, not too far from Indy. I would definitley have to agree with you that there is no way in hell I would put even my big toe in White River. Hell I think you catch diseases from it just driving your car over the bridges down town. It has to be shallow too doesn't it? I wouldn't feel too confident about driving my boat on it.
Old    deiselgrover            07-15-2003, 10:21 AM Reply   
Sean:

you get over to Freeman much? Couple of friends of mine own a cottage up there and I have been going up there since i was a kid. Not too great of a lake, but if you get up early enough, its not bad. Ive never been on Shafer.

Oh and everything you've heard about Dale is right on. Butter all day long! And it is really a pretty cheap trip. I am actually heading down there Aug. 1 to the 8th, and it is only going to cost about 500 for everything, including the beer! I'll post some pics when I get back. Won't be any of us doing any sic tricks, as there are only 2 of us going down that even board, and we both suck, but It will give you an idea of what its like down there!
Old    pans210            07-15-2003, 10:29 AM Reply   
NAW, nice attempt at spelling maxinkuckee
Old    reddog25cf            07-15-2003, 10:30 AM Reply   
Actually no I don't go to Freeman at all, but I have heard that there are a couple good boarders over there. I think I've been on Freeman like a half dozen times when I was little and my dad had property on White Oaks. However I ride with a guy named Michael Vincz who's actually on the Junior Pro Tour. He's definitely an inspiration to ride with. He's a great coach too. I don't get to ride with him near as much as I'd like, but it's better than nothing. As far as Dale is concerned, a girl I'm seeing is actually on her way back from a weekend there. Kind of funny story it's Michael's sister, but anyway, she had to call and let me know she landed her first 180 behind a Sea Ray, haha. She's a natural, I better start stepping it up before she catches up to me! haha
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-15-2003, 11:27 AM Reply   
Ryan M- I try

My buddy has a weekend cottage on Shafer (Red and White '00 X-Star). He lives kind of close to the park. I haven't been down there yet this year, but he said the lake was toast on the 4th with all the rain and debris.

I usually go to Cumberland on a houseboat with like 6 other boarding couples, all from Indiana. Every Labor Day, this year too. It's what I look forward too all summer. Even though it is labor Day, there is alway butter to board on. I've heard great things about Dale Hollow too!
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-15-2003, 11:38 AM Reply   
Hey there Sean. I think his name was Ron Wilson. I'm not sure how old you are, but this was back in the early 80's. I still have some family up there but you couldn't pay me to go back up there. I still have vague memories of frozen lakes and bitter cold weather.
Old    reddog25cf            07-15-2003, 11:46 AM Reply   
I do know a Ron that used to drive the boat for the show, but not sure what his last name is. He is kind of an older guy. He's actually kind of a bigger guy, never been married, no kids. He has kind of taken Michael Vincz under his wing and let's him ride behind his boat all the time and helps him get to competitions and whatnot. I'm pretty sure it's not the guy you're talking about though since you say it's your sister's boyfriend. haha.
And yes, I definitely know what you're talking about when you say frozen lakes and bitter cold. I was out riding on Shafer in March. Water was still just under 50 degrees. Not the smartest thing to do, I know, especially without a dry suit. Let's just say they were pretty short sessions followed by a long warm shower back at the house.
Old    reddog25cf            07-15-2003, 11:51 AM Reply   
NAW,
What's your buddy's name? Not too many X Stars on Shafer. I know Gary Creigh has an '03 205V which is last year's x-star, and the Roth's just bought a new '03 X-9, but I can't say I know of too many other X series boats on Shafer. And yes, the lake has been crap lately because of all the rain. LOTS of tree limbs and stumps and picnic tables and parts of docks and piers, etc. Not to mention since the dam is wide open there is just a crazy current goin on.

Where is Cumberland? I've heard of it, but I have no idea where it is.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-15-2003, 12:23 PM Reply   
His name is Brian Hadu. He's a younger guy, 25 yrs old. To explain where his cottage is, if you head out of the park, heading in the opposite direction of the dam, the lake bends, and it's the first canal on the right. He's almost on the corner. A big ass new deck and boat lift with a large deck on top of the lift. He's been bringing his boat home with him this year, but last year, it was on the lift all summer. It's a '00, so it has the older Zero-Flex tower on it, but it's white with a red main stripe and X graphics.

Lake Cumberland is closer than Dale Hollow and bigger. It's on the Kentucky/Tennessee border. We get a mack daddy houseboat from Jamestown Marina. You can search the web and find a bunch of info on it. Just shoot with anymore questions...
Later,
Neil
Old    reddog25cf            07-15-2003, 12:29 PM Reply   
About cumberland.... me and my cousin (my pull) were tossing around the idea of going to Dale Hollow for Labor Day weekend and rent a houseboat. How many people would one of those houseboats from Jamestown Marina hold and about how much would it cost to rent it that weekend. Actually what kind of cost for any weekend. I'm sure they're probably booked for Labor Day.
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   
Hey Sean, you won't find Jamestown Marina at Dale Hollow, that was at Cumberland. At Dale Hollow check out Wisdom Dock, Sulphur Creek, or Cedar Hill Resort. All three are competitively priced (around $2300) for a 3 day weekend or 4 day midweek 72' boat that sleeps 12 in private bedrooms. I have heard of people shoving more people on there with sleeping bags and tents on the roof, but DNR is pretty serious there, so don't let them catch you with that many people. You would be surprised how many boats you might find available. Tourism has been way down this year with the economy, so alot of boats aren't rented.

Depending on which part of Dale Hollow you go to, it really isn't any farther than Cumberland. If you go anywhere near the dam (west end of the lake), it only takes about 4 hours without a boat in tow. It takes about the same to Cumberland from what I can tell.

Either place though, you will find butter all day. With all of their large coves, you never have a problem finding smooth water to ride. I am up for a wakeworld.com trip to Dale Hollow, I don't know about Labor Day, but another weekend could work out. I will actually be down there this weekend from Thursday to Monday. Peace.

Jb
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-15-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
Jamestown has a few types of boats. Since we'll have 12 people, we go for the big guy (Jacuzzi, 5 bedrooms, etc.) it comes to about $540 a couple for the boat, plus gas, food, beer (bring it, it's a dry county). We're taking 2 wakeboard boats, a big ass pontoon, and an I/O. There are 2 places that I know of that rent houseboats. The smaller ones (which is all you'd probably need) go for maybe a grand or less from Friday at 1pm-Monday at 11am or so, but each marina varies. I'm certain some are still available. But we're already paid up and ready to go!

Check out
http://www.statedock.com
http://www.flagshipmarinas.com/marinas/jamestown/Default.htm

Old    reddog25cf            07-15-2003, 12:55 PM Reply   
I realized my wording was bad, but hoped you understood anyway. But now that I realize that Dale Hollow is about the same drive, nevermind about Cumberland (which was what I was actually wanting to get prices on).

About this wakeworld get together thing, I've thought about it for awhile, just never really pursued it. I'd love to get a bunch of wakeworld'ers together at Dale Hollow for a weekend, and I agree for it NOT to be Labor Day weekend. But what about the weekend after? Would anybody else be interested?
Old    deiselgrover            07-15-2003, 12:57 PM Reply   
http://dalehollow.org/Dale_Hollow/marinas/marinas.htm
http://www.outdoors-411.com/marina_cumberlandlake.html

These are links to Dalehollow Marinas, and to Cumberland Marinas. Most of the sites have rates and floor plans. I would say you are probably out of luck for this labor day, but you might be able to find a "cheap" boat. I was talking to a guy at Hendricks Marina at Dalehollow and he said they still had a boat or two that was old, and didn't have AC on it among other amenities. He said that one rarely got rented.

I booked my trip to Dalehollow in January. As far as lake cumberland vs. dalehollow. You can't go wrong with either one. They are both GREAT lakes. Cumberland is slightly bigger, but it really doesn't make much difference. Dalehollow has over 600 miles of shore line.
Personally I like Dalehollow better, but I think it is just a comfort level with the lake. I have been to Dale a lot more. Also it seems to me that Dale has a little flatter shore line, which is nice for tieing up the boat and hanging on the shore. Cumberland is a little closer but not much. Depending on what marinas you would go to, it is less than an hour difference. But like I said they are both awsome lakes and you can't go wrong with either one!
There is a wide range of boats depending on the marinas. You can get a boat for 6 people or one for 12 or more, and with a variying level of amenities. Most of them do have ac, refrigerator, stove, some even have hot tubs (though I don't know why you would want to sit in one in the middle of August).
If you fill the boat up I garuntee you it will be one of the cheapest trips you can take. I am going for about 500 for 7 nights, that includes food, beer, boat gas, ice, etc. You can't beat that!
Old    reddog25cf            07-15-2003, 1:02 PM Reply   
No doubt... that definitely sounds like one hella cheap vacation. I was just thinking about it and I think my cousin may actually be leaving town around September for work, so I don't know if I'd be able to bring our boat, actually I really doubt he'd let me, but I'd still love to get together with you guys for a weekend.
Old    deiselgrover            07-15-2003, 1:04 PM Reply   
JB
I know you spend a lot of time on Dale and you mentioned in your post DNR being pretty serious down there. That kind of surprises me, because we have been down quite a bit, and I have only talked to a CO 1 time and he came back in our cove and was putting around then came up to us and asked if we had seen any boat debris back in the cove, someone reported their boat sank back there.
Is it just one of those deals where if you aren't doing anything stupid to draw attention to yourself then they pretty much keep to themselves? Also we spend the majority of the time in a cove down there, maybe that has something to do with it.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-15-2003, 1:08 PM Reply   
Dayum! 500 bucks for 7 nights with all that stuff included! That's awesome! I'll drop almost $200 gas in the Mastercraft alone. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. And the shoreline at Cumberland is biotch to tie up too.
Old    reddog25cf            07-15-2003, 1:12 PM Reply   
Well I can definitely see who the post whores are amongst our indiana crowd, haha.... Best part is, I'm at work and getting paid for it... Anyway, definitely sounding like Dale Hollow is the place to go. Only question is when? haha
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2003, 2:39 PM Reply   
Yeah Rod, where are you hooking up that sweet deal. The last couple times we went, we paid almost $500 per couple for just houseboat, boat gas, and ice, not to mention food, liquor, and transportation to and from the lake. Sweet deal!

When I was talking about DNR it is definitely hit or miss. Most of the time they are pretty cool, but I have heard from some other friends that people who have overloaded their houseboats getting fined. It probably all depends on the weekend and what they are doing. If you keep a low profile, everything is usually pretty cool. My personal experience is that anytime we are near Livingston Dock, we almost always get checked for safety equipment. Not usually a problem for those I boat with because they have everything they need. But my sisters boyfriend just got a boat and he is the type of guy who doesn't bother checking into regulations, so he got a nice fat $160 ticket because he didn't have a throw cushion or fire extinguisher.

Jb
Old    reddog25cf            07-15-2003, 2:43 PM Reply   
IMO not exactly worth it to not follow regulations. Most of them are common sense and even the ones you wouldn't think of don't exactly cost a lot to be in regulation with, ya know? Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Seriously guys, all us Indiana riders need to get together. Yea yea yea... MWWF, but I can't make it there, and why should that be the only time? Should I make another post in the General area about a get together or am I just wasting my time?
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2003, 2:56 PM Reply   
Yeah, do it Sean. I am definitely interested and I probably know a few other guys who don't live on wakeworld like myself who would be interested. I wanted to go back to MWWF, I went with a crew last year, but we fell victim to one of the unmarked wingdams. So my cousin wasn't feeling too comfortable about going out there again this year. Then he saw that they are going to go out and mark the hazards this year just for the event and mentioned something about going. But by then, my wife and I had already made plans to go to Dale Hollow. It was a good time last year, maybe we can get an Indiana crew together and caravan up next year.

Coming back to Dale Hollow this year, assuming many of you guys have boats on here, the most economical way to do Dale Hollow is by cabin. You can stay in a cabin down there for less than half the cost of a houseboat and most of them come with a boat slip in the price. If you go after Labor day weekend their off-season rates apply and it gets even cheaper. The water and weather are still usually pretty decent down there until the middle of October, so an early to mid September trip would be ideal. Anyone who has been there and thought it wasn't crowded in mid-season, you should see it in September. Some days you are lucky to see another boat at all. Post it Sean and see what kind of feedback you get. Peace.

Jb
Old    deiselgrover            07-15-2003, 3:11 PM Reply   
Yeah I would be interested in doing that too. I have a few friends that might be down as well.

JB, I am renting from Wisdom this year. We have a boat that sleeps 10, but you can have up to 12. We will probably have 10 to 12 down there but a few only for a few days, so probably no more than 9 at once. Anyway, its the cheapest boat they have, hence the good price. Plus we do really cheap on the food and stuff. Also (Unfortunatley) I only have a 4 banger merc, so gas isn't too big a deal for me. We usually have everybody chip into a kitty (which we just make part of the price of going) that is about 600 worth. Seems to come out pretty good. Then we also plan dinners for each night, and eat out one or two nights. Then everyone is on their own for lunches and breakfast.

So for the boat, kitty money, and dinners it is about 350. Throw in a few boxes of poptarts, a jar of pb&j for lunch and 5 cases of Miller Lite and a half gallon of Captain Morgan, and you have yourself a $500 trip.

You ever go out of Wisdom? This is my first time. Been to wolf, hendricks, sulpher, & cedar. Seemed like Wisdom and Willow were the cheapest.
Old     (jdreiser)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2003, 5:23 AM Reply   
Hey folks, used to live and ski in Knox, IN at Bass Lake. Skied at Ball State till I graduated in 1997, but have since moved down to Knoxville where the water is warmer longer and larger. I now ski on Norris. Let me know if any of yall are ever down here and we can hook up. Also, if any of you know of anyone that rode at Ball State around 96 or 97 let me know I would love to get in touch with some of them, i.e. Jason Johnson (Lake Holiday), Steve "Boomer" Sergant (Lake Holiday), Jame Whitig (Milan), etc., etc.

Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-16-2003, 6:28 AM Reply   
That's cool Rod. Yes, we have gone out of Wisdom before too. They are a really nice group of people. I have not been on the boat you are talking about, we rented the 72' Ultra that sleeps 12 in private rooms. It was a nice boat. I will tell you about a perfect place to park your boat.

Since you have been to Dale Hollow before, you probably know where Lillydale is (southside of the lake, pretty much right below Wisdom Dock). There is a large finger than runs south past Wisdom dock. If you look at a map, the finger is right behind Lillydale. Instead of heading out the main channel of the lake toward Sunset, you head straight south into the finger. Just past the last main fork in the finger on the left, there is a perfect little cove to tie up a houseboat. That is where we parked when we launched from Wisdom, it is about an hour ride down there in the big boat, but the back part of that finger channel is butter all day every day. Plus that cove is nice and deep and clean, perfect for floating around in during the day. I highly recommend it. What we do when we go houseboating is send the ski boat out to scope out our spot. Then we will usually drop a couple of the women in the water with some beer and floaties and go back to the big boat to tell them where to go. That way we claim our stake before anyone else does. Good luck and have a great time.

Jb
Old    bens            07-16-2003, 7:47 AM Reply   
Hey John,
I know Boomer and Jason Johnson. A college friend of mine went to highschool with them so we'd run into each other all the time. Great guys. I haven't heard from them in a while now though. I think Jason was out west somewhere working as a personal trainer, but that's been a long time ago. Who knows what their up to now.

You ever go to Miami for ski tournaments? Lake Lotawata (or something like that). I went with the IU team once, had a great time. I'd love to have a lake like that around Indy.

We rent a house on Norris every year, near the 6 mile marker. Norris is great, no lakes like that around here. We were there in July and unfortunately I had a run in with some debris while boarding and spent most of the vacation in the Knoxville hospital. Has the water gone down yet?

I'll see if I can find out where Jason and Boomer are these days.
Old     (jdreiser)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2003, 8:59 AM Reply   
Ben,

The Hot Tub Classic!! I remember it very well, well maybe some it the rest is a blurrr!! The Miami tourney and Ohio U tournaments were always some of the best.

Last I heard Boomer was in Indy. Any info would be great.
Sorry bout your experience at Norris. The water has had more debris than usual this year. Right now, it is clearing up pretty well with the exception of some wood up in Big Creek. The water is still over Summer Pool, but I'm not complaining since it is usually being drawn down by now.
Old     (jdreiser)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2003, 9:03 AM Reply   
Ben,

The Hot Tub Classic!! I remember it very well, well maybe some, the rest is a blurrr!! The Miami tourney and Ohio U tournaments were always some of the best.

Last I heard Boomer was in Indy. Any info would be great.
Sorry bout your experience at Norris. The water has had more debris than usual this year. Right now, it is clearing up pretty well with the exception of some wood up in Big Creek. The water is still over Summer Pool, but I'm not complaining since it is usually being drawn down by now.
Old     (todd_everton)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-20-2003, 7:00 PM Reply   
Hey Angi,
I'm from Southport,now live in perry district.Did you go to SHS or perry?We ride in martinsville on a private lake.If anyone's needin a pull,drop me an email.My wife and I are out pretty much every weekend.
Old    wakejunkeygirl            07-21-2003, 10:51 AM Reply   
I went to Perry Meridian ...went to Keystone middle...grew up right around Thompson road and Madison Avenue..*houses back there.*..was supposed to go to SHS, but they changed the boundries the year b 4 my freshman year..my husband went to SHS..graduated in 92..i was in class of 90...
Old     (midwestrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-22-2003, 1:17 PM Reply   
Hey all, I just noticed something while looking through my Wakeboarding Mag. The WWA World Wakeboard Nationals will be in Indianapolis Aug. 21-24. I was bummed that the pro tour eliminated their stop here this year, but I didn't realize the Nationals would be here. How about a wakeworld shindig at the Nationals, anybody up for it?

Jb
Old     (todd_everton)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-22-2003, 7:58 PM Reply   
I'll be there!!
Old    bens            07-23-2003, 7:03 AM Reply   
Hey EpicRider,
Just curious, what private lake is in Martinsville? How far is it from downtown Indy?
Thanks.
Old     (todd_everton)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-23-2003, 1:14 PM Reply   
It's in Painted Hills.It's just east of martinsville off of hwy 252.The lake is in the middle of a housing community.It usually takes 30 min. from my driveway to be on the water.
Old    deiselgrover            07-23-2003, 2:07 PM Reply   
JB! Im in for the Nationals! In fact I just picked up a couple discount cards at Skiers Edge. It gets you a few bucks off the admission. Hey every buck counts! What day you are you thinking? I would probably prefer Saturday, but could do Sunday too. Let me know.
Old    reddog25cf            07-24-2003, 3:51 PM Reply   
I'll definitely be at Nationals... I told a girl named Meg that I'd volunteer to help awhile back. If any of you are interested in volunteering I can look back and find her email.
Old    floridaboarida            07-25-2003, 6:51 PM Reply   
Hey I live in florida but im up here boarding on wawasee. it's ok unless you go afternoon fri-sunday but weekdays are perfect. Any one else ever hit wawasee
Old    wide_awake            07-25-2003, 9:08 PM Reply   
i board pretty much at pine lake in laporte indiana. anybody else board there b4?