Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       06-11-2012, 9:31 AM Reply   
I moved to Wichita, ks from southern Kansas and always go to law lake in Oklahoma. I was wanting to try out el dorado lake east of Wichita. I have heard that el do has a bunch of trees and I'd like to be able to go wake board after work. Any advice on places to shred and parts of the lake to avoid would be great!
Old     (Caughtmyedge)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-11-2012, 10:39 PM Reply   
I've only seen it from the KS Turnpike a couple of times. There are dead trees all over the part that is visible from I-35. It's unfortunate that the area wasn't logged before they let the reservoir fill up.
Old     (boarder82)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-12-2012, 4:11 AM Reply   
The trees are at the far north end of the lake (along I-35). Down by the dam (south end of the lake) it is deep and there are no trees. The lake can get a bit rough on the weekends or if it's windy (we are in Kansas after all). At least it did the few times I've been there. But, if you get out there early there is nice, flat water to be had.
Old     (chargeit)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-18-2012, 6:27 AM Reply   
Definately watch out for trees!
Limited safe riding opportunities from a wind direction standpoint.
Several cool powerboaters on "B" dock that would probably help you out.
If you are heading to thier party raft location, definately follow some people that know how to get there. You are basically traveling though old fields so think about it as having to know where the gates were.
Might check out midwestboatparty.com to connect with some.

Never been on the lake myself, Perry is home for us. Just friends that boat El Do. Make sure you clean up the boat well before moving waters, nasty zebra musscles.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-18-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
I used to go there a lot, but have rarely boarded due to wind/boat conditions. There are spots up North to board after you get through the trees from what I have heard. We usually just boarded around the dam because we knew it was deep enough. Best bet is like said above. Find someone that goes there a lot.

WATCH out for the east side of the main channel. there is an old dam under water over there that is not well marked. We were crusing along in our old MC 205 DD and ran a ground in what appeared to be the middle of the lake. Messed the boat all up to the tune of 3K.

ALso, there are a lot of sand pits around Wichita that you could possibly get on if you try hard. There also used to be a ski club but I don't know if they still exist. You might check with Marine World.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       06-18-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the good advice. How deep and big are the sand pits? Big enough to board I'm guessing?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-18-2012, 11:49 AM Reply   
Sand pits by nature are deep. They try and go as deep as possible to gain the most sand. There are a few that are big enough to board on, but they are all private, so getting to know someone or willingness to pay $$$$ will help.