Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-27-2012, 5:32 PM Reply   
This pic was taken today at Barton's Creek boat ramp on Falls Lake in Raleigh, NC. A friend sent me this so I am not sure of the story. I chose to avoid the crazies for the day....
Attached Images

Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-27-2012, 6:02 PM Reply   
Do you have a smaller and/or less useful photo you can post?
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-27-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
uhh,,,
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-27-2012, 7:00 PM Reply   
I never doubt my decision to skip holiday weekends
Old    TN22            05-27-2012, 7:23 PM Reply   
Someone forgot their drain plug
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-27-2012, 7:33 PM Reply   
Holy hell that's funny. It was ugly there on Saturday too lol
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-27-2012, 8:22 PM Reply   
Yeah I made a go at it on Saturday and it was a mess....skipping the holiday weekend is the way to go...

I would like to know if this guy forgot his plug and went to park it trailer or what.... I would think if the boat was sinking and you didn't have a trailer to put it on you would at least beach it...

Can't help you out on the pic.. I didn't take it
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-27-2012, 8:27 PM Reply   
Here is a smaller one.... blown up its all blurry .. sucks ... I would like to have seen some better pictures of what actually happened.
Attached Images

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-27-2012, 10:46 PM Reply   
Can't wait for next weekend... My wife works retail so we always take a long weekend the following weekend. New boat to be dipped in Lake Powell ASAP.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-27-2012, 10:52 PM Reply   
Posted on the Moomba forum, looks to be the same one.
Attached Images

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-28-2012, 6:32 AM Reply   
I'll take this time to admit my rookie-mistake of the weekend.

Wife ran over the wake line. I was in the water when she came back around and asked her to fix the trim tab. She was clueless so I was telling her how to change it and the boat was drifting in the wind. We should have pulled the rope in. When she got squared away with the trim tab she went to pull away and ran the rope over. Doh! So I had to spend about 15 minutes or so diving under the boat and untangling it blind. I've got about 3 prop cuts on my hands from it. Not fun, but I got it out without cutting it. All is well that ends well.

Regardless of how "dumb" some people are, I still feel bad about the above situation with the boat sinking. That's a really ****ty situation.
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-28-2012, 6:36 AM Reply   
that is the same one...man that sucks..

way to go on not cutting the line! that is no easy task...

We may head out this afternoon and try to find some smooth water later in the day
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-28-2012, 6:45 AM Reply   
bummer. Bet they remember to put the plug in next time.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-28-2012, 8:28 AM Reply   
Ouch. There but by the grace of God go I......
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-28-2012, 12:35 PM Reply   
It will probably buff out...........
Old    9Drozd            05-28-2012, 1:08 PM Reply   
That definitely blows. On a side note, we had a bass boat sink about a week ago right at the break water at our marina. Luckily they had a rope on it and tied a safety orange live vest to the other end so he could at least find it. Unfortunately I was too busy watching and didn't think to take a picture.
Old     (seangriswold)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-28-2012, 7:22 PM Reply   
so the word is this person forgot to put the plug in........should have cruised around until they got the trailer backed down the ramp! my guess is they tied the boat of without realizing it.... sucks
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-29-2012, 8:12 AM Reply   
that sucks. so easy to get distracted and forget a small/ important step.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-29-2012, 8:16 AM Reply   
Wow, Lon downgraded from the x80, eh?
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-29-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
How long were they gone? I've forgotten the plug 1x out there and made it all the way to the first turn without realizing it. Still had time to get her back and loaded. I hate that I was at hyco this weekend now
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       05-30-2012, 7:33 AM Reply   
no bilge pump I'm guessing? I know it couldn't keep up but you would think that water shooting out the side would have tipped them of the missing
drain plug....that sucks.
I was out Saturday (like an idiot) and was waiting to load up at the ramp. There was a guy on the ramp that was taking forever....put the boat in and then loaded
it back up....I wan't sure what the heck they were doing and was starting to get aggravated...until I realized he had forgotten his drain plug. Luckily he figured it out
and all was well. He had a wife and several kids and I know it's easy to get distracted. That could have been an unpleasant memory for everyone.

Just a question...I have yet to forget my plug (knock on wood), but for those that figured it out while in the water, could you not just jump in and screw it in and let
the bilge pump take care of it? You would obviously need the plug to be on board. I have a spare in my tool bag.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-30-2012, 8:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Just a question...I have yet to forget my plug (knock on wood), but for those that figured it out while in the water, could you not just jump in and screw it in and let
the bilge pump take care of it? You would obviously need the plug to be on board. I have a spare in my tool bag.
You can but I wouldn't think of doing it on my boat unless it was sink or swim situation. My plug is right inbetween the fins and I can see myself getting gnarled to hell trying to do it. I Just have a ziptie that holds mine to the throttle lever. Get in to hit the blower and its right there staring me in the face if I ever forget. Bilge will take care of alot of it in the situation. Depends on the location of your plug too. If you have a rear plug all you need to do is hammer down and it will miraculously be gone, cut the boat, pop it in, and you are good. If you have a center plug like my pos its a diff kind of situation.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-30-2012, 2:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeno1 View Post
Last year I forgot the plug. I had pulled trailer out and parked and came back and family was sitting happily waiting for me and I note water pouring out the side....

I jumped in with the plug and got it in, boat was pretty low in water but it would have taken me longer to go get truck and back trailer into the water.

It was stressful - My nightmare is that I would drop the plug while trying to get it in during that situation. I need to get an extra one, not sure where to order it.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-31-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
^any dealer, ebay, etc. Shouldn't be hard to find. Google is your friend. I'm anal about plugs since I forgot it. I keep an extra in the truck, an extra in the boat, and the 1 I use. I found mine for like 12 bucks. Figured for 25 bucks I'll never have a weekend screwed by "forgot my plug in the garage"
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-31-2012, 8:14 AM Reply   
"I'm anal about plugs" - probably could've found a different way to express this j/k man.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-31-2012, 8:17 AM Reply   
^^^^^^^^^^ that is to funny Ian
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-31-2012, 8:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
"I'm anal about plugs" - probably could've found a different way to express this j/k man.
You know it crossed my mind after rereading that it might have not been the best choice of words. Glad you could pick up on my anal follies. Wait here we go again
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       06-08-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamburell View Post
^any dealer, ebay, etc. Shouldn't be hard to find. Google is your friend. I'm anal about plugs since I forgot it. I keep an extra in the truck, an extra in the boat, and the 1 I use. I found mine for like 12 bucks. Figured for 25 bucks I'll never have a weekend screwed by "forgot my plug in the garage"

Picked up a couple of spares at home depot (talking about the rear drain plug) in the plumbing section....1/2" brass if I remember correctly.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       06-08-2012, 10:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamburell View Post
You can but I wouldn't think of doing it on my boat unless it was sink or swim situation. My plug is right inbetween the fins and I can see myself getting gnarled to hell trying to do it. I Just have a ziptie that holds mine to the throttle lever. Get in to hit the blower and its right there staring me in the face if I ever forget. Bilge will take care of alot of it in the situation. Depends on the location of your plug too. If you have a rear plug all you need to do is hammer down and it will miraculously be gone, cut the boat, pop it in, and you are good. If you have a center plug like my pos its a diff kind of situation.

Oh, ok...just assumed we were talking about rear drain plugs. What kind of boat do you have that the plug goes between the fins?
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-08-2012, 10:53 AM Reply   
^mc x9
Old    mojo            06-08-2012, 11:50 AM Reply   
i really liked the t style plug on my old 2005 x-2. i only forgot to put it in twice, but i caught it quickly. the rear plugs are just annoying to me to have to remove.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-08-2012, 12:41 PM Reply   
I always put my plug in at home while loading the boat, this way I never forget at the ramp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-08-2012, 1:07 PM Reply   
I can't forget ... my wife asks me at least a dozen times before we even back down the ramp!